Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
superm0m877
So frustrated :(
January 26, 2013 at 9:39 AM

I am going back and forth in my mind about homeschooling for a long time. I feel that I want to homeschool but I have so many doubts. I  had planned on homeschooling but i chickened out and put my daughter in public school. She seems to like it, we've had a couple problems but nothing major. Her school is closing down after this school year tho, so we are left with very few good options. 

My problems are these.. I can't really afford to put her in a bunch of activities so she can meet other kids, I have yet to find any type of homeschooling group that is free. There really arent many kids on our street. I dont have any friends who have kids my dd's age. She's very social. I'm not sure how this part will work out. 

I'm in college. When I'm done with my degree I plan on working. I don't know how homeschooling is going to work out once that happens. (about 4-6 years from now)

My husband isn't against it, but he doesn't really seem to be FOR it either. He is their stepdad, he basically said it's up to me what I choose to do. I wish he was more supportive and involved in the decision, I feel like I'm completely on my own with this. 

Honestly, my dd drives me NUTS sometimes lol She is super hyper, talks more than the average 5 yr old (seriously no joke!) Which is good, but sometimes I am thankful from the break I get when she is in school. If I homeschool, I won't have a break. 

I will admit I am a bit of a procrastinator. I am not a morning person. I can see myself skipping a day here and there cuz I'm busy with the house or my own schooling. 

I consider my children's education a top priority. I am worried I will fail them. I want them to do their best, be their best, etc and I am worried I won't be able to live up to that. But I don't feel public school will accomplish that either. 

I have three children. dd is 5, ds is 4 and ds2 is 18 months.  the dr suspects something is going on with my 4yr and is going to be screened for autism and other disorders. how in the world will I handle that? On the other hand, I have NO faith in public school when it comes to doing their best for him. 

I'm just so confused. Deep down I know I want to homeschool but when it comes down to it I have so much fear and anxiety about it. 

Replies

• KickButtMama
    January 27, 2013 at 2:26 PM

I agree, and wanted to point out 1 thing. Kids learn how to behave approprietly from adults Not other kids. So, while its important kids can relate to people in their ages I think it has been made into a too important part of development. I, personally, don't want my kids learning from the most loud & obnoxious kids in a room. And I've always told my kids this "they will never be able to make lating friendships if they can't first develop such a bond with siblings". If I had only 1 child I might concern myself w/ social things.

Quoting kirbymom:

Just so you know, you are experiencing very normal emotions about your decision to homeschool. Frankly, I would be more worried if you didn't feel any emotions regarding your decision to homeschool.

That being said, I have never co-oped or gone to outside school activities with or for my kids. That also being said, my kids are every bit as social as the next kid. They have friends and go places, just not on an everyday scale.  And I will say that it isn't as necessary as has been been pushed for so many years now.  I have been where you are now. I have had the same fears. I even acted upon those fears. We moved to a place where they would have outside friends and activities. I wished to heaven that we had never made that decision. Ever!  The trade off for a social life just isn't worth it in my opinion.  But that is just me. There are so many out there that have made this work.  

By going to the library, the grocery store, the gas station, the bank, and anywhere ele you want/need to go, will help him learn how to be social. You do not need other children to learn this concept. Are we teaching our children how to be children or are we teaching our children to be adults?  For this concept, children do not need other children. They need adult interaction. The reason children should be around other children, on occasion, is for the companionship and the freedom of being a child. To know, on a short term basis, that there is someone that sees, feels and thinks like * I * do.  This is for a short term socialization. Not for long term socialization. For the here and now. Not the down the road later, time. 

This, as stated above, is just my opinion and everyone has a differnt belief and understanding. 

• kirbymom
    January 27, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Thanks Shannon. I wasn't too sure I was able to effectively communicate my thoughts very well. But, I can see that is not going to be the case.  I had written much more but thought it was too much and too heavy so therfore scaled it back to this version.  :) 

Quoting KickButtMama:

I agree, and wanted to point out 1 thing. Kids learn how to behave approprietly from adults Not other kids. So, while its important kids can relate to people in their ages I think it has been made into a too important part of development. I, personally, don't want my kids learning from the most loud & obnoxious kids in a room. And I've always told my kids this "they will never be able to make lating friendships if they can't first develop such a bond with siblings". If I had only 1 child I might concern myself w/ social things.

Quoting kirbymom:

Just so you know, you are experiencing very normal emotions about your decision to homeschool. Frankly, I would be more worried if you didn't feel any emotions regarding your decision to homeschool.

That being said, I have never co-oped or gone to outside school activities with or for my kids. That also being said, my kids are every bit as social as the next kid. They have friends and go places, just not on an everyday scale.  And I will say that it isn't as necessary as has been been pushed for so many years now.  I have been where you are now. I have had the same fears. I even acted upon those fears. We moved to a place where they would have outside friends and activities. I wished to heaven that we had never made that decision. Ever!  The trade off for a social life just isn't worth it in my opinion.  But that is just me. There are so many out there that have made this work.  

By going to the library, the grocery store, the gas station, the bank, and anywhere ele you want/need to go, will help him learn how to be social. You do not need other children to learn this concept. Are we teaching our children how to be children or are we teaching our children to be adults?  For this concept, children do not need other children. They need adult interaction. The reason children should be around other children, on occasion, is for the companionship and the freedom of being a child. To know, on a short term basis, that there is someone that sees, feels and thinks like * I * do.  This is for a short term socialization. Not for long term socialization. For the here and now. Not the down the road later, time. 

This, as stated above, is just my opinion and everyone has a differnt belief and understanding. 

• KickButtMama
    January 27, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Lol, I do the same.....it's like we're sharing a brain today! Lol

Quoting kirbymom:

Thanks Shannon. I wasn't too sure I was able to effectively communicate my thoughts very well. But, I can see that is not going to be the case.  I had written much more but thought it was too much and too heavy so therfore scaled it back to this version.  :) 

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting kirbymom:

• kirbymom
    January 28, 2013 at 2:25 PM

You know the old saying about great minds think alike?  Ahahahaha  Yep. Great minds and all. :)   

Quoting KickButtMama:

Lol, I do the same.....it's like we're sharing a brain today! Lol

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting kirbymom:

• KrissyKC
    January 28, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Around here, there are HSing groups that charge like $20 for a yearly membership, and then their extra programs cost more.   However, there are some free stuff or cheap stuff, too.

For example, I paid the $20 to belong to a group and I get notified of field trips, invitations to play dates, option to join choir for $25.00 monthly for the family... etc.   

There are more expensive options... like Art at a local library that has $140 supply fees with $25 fee monthly PER KID... but it's still cheaper than trying to do it alone.  

Joining the group for $20 annually was well worth it.   They also have a classifieds list where I have found a music teacher for $10 per lesson (an older student)... hand me down clothes, used curriculum, and a babysitter.

• KrissyKC
    January 28, 2013 at 2:35 PM

oh, and side note, I agree with the ladies above saying that socialization starts in the home, and kids learn from their parents...

But being involved in these groups is fun, too...   We never were before... and I'm really enjoying them as much as my kids do.

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    January 29, 2013 at 10:40 AM

you could try it this summer for a couple months and see how it goes

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    January 29, 2013 at 10:47 AM

supermom, dont worry bout the socialization part, its not as big as others make it to be, as time goes on different things will come up and it all works out in the end as far as socialization! besides shes got you and hubby and her bros and sisters!! probably various relatives etc!! if you go to church theres people there, or any community event, i homeschooled 4 kids all the way through, we lived in the woods and we didnt have any problems with socialization!! they are all grown now with jobs and spouses! it works!

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts