Homeschooling Moms

BramblePatch
Kids following in our footsteps?
January 25, 2013 at 9:46 PM
I got DD(4) ice skates for Christmas. Not really because I wanted her to be a skater but because the rink had no rentals for her tiny feet and she wanted to skate with her brother and cousins. Well, she took to the ice. This is not mommy's pride talking. She just can skate instinctively. Two weeks ago she begged for classes with her cousin so I enrolled her....she is skating circles around the other beginners. I was approached tonight about the ice shows this summer. We live in a place where we have shows every Saturday night. There is a "cast", with a few olympians and local talent....and a big name star that changes every week. Its been a tradition here for decades. Well, there is one ensamble with the best of the little ones. Just another tradition... They would like me to consider it for DD. It would be two weekly practices from April to September and the show on Saturdays, which starts when the sun is down (anywhere from 9:00 to 10:30...another tradition, lol)

So here is my hesitation.... I was a figure skater. A good one. For 17 years. I traveled the Country, and even to other countries, for competition and shows. I would have given my eye teeth as a child to perform in the Sun Valley Ice Show as a part of the cast. But the thing is, I swore up and down my daughter would not follow in my foot steps with skating. I promised myself. It's not what I want for her. On the other hand, she loves it. Since she got her skates we are at the rink 5-6 days a week...She loves it that much.

Plus this is a show. People pay anywhere from $30 to $200 to see it. Its sold out weeks in advance, depending on the headliner. Bright lights, music, the works.... What if she panics? Is it too much for a then 5 year old? But the other kids ARE 3-10.... I dunno....thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    January 25, 2013 at 10:50 PM

I would let her try. See if she can even handle the rehearsals & let it be known to the people doing the show that the moment she says no more that's it she is out of it! This is about her & what she wants to do even though she is 5 she is still her own person & should have a say in things like that. Look at it this way how would you have felt as a kid if you had been offered the chance to do this & your parents said no!

• starbeck96
    January 25, 2013 at 11:42 PM
    I agree. If she truly likes it then let her go for it. Just make sure she is having fun nd it doesn't vecome a chore to her.

Quoting usmom3:

I would let her try. See if she can even handle the rehearsals & let it be known to the people doing the show that the moment she says no more that's it she is out of it! This is about her & what she wants to do even though she is 5 she is still her own person & should have a say in things like that. Look at it this way how would you have felt as a kid if you had been offered the chance to do this & your parents said no!

• SuprMom12042702
    January 26, 2013 at 6:51 AM
    i swore that my girls would never be in beauty pagents. Not because i was in them but i find them to be silly. Yet my neices are into them big time (one even puts her son in them). And my oldest daughter was spending the day with them when a fellow pagent friend of theirs came over and stsarted talking about the one next month. Well guess who begged me and daddy to do it lol so we are letting her do this one so she can see how it is. Then let her decide what she wants to do. She is almost 8 and she knows that she may not win and its just for fun. with your daughter i would let her try it and if it didnt work out oh well. I would hate for you to dwell on the what might have happeneds. Hope this helps and i apologize for my horrible typing i am on my cell phone :)
  • JuicyRedTomato
    January 26, 2013 at 7:02 AM

Eh, let her try it. Use your discretion and if it becomes too much or something she doesn't enjoy, pull her out. I think its great that you are supportive despite your initial hesitations. 

• KickButtMama
    January 27, 2013 at 9:33 AM

I'd say if she enjoys it let her do it, the day she gets stressed or stops enjoying it, stop. I'd also think long and hard about your vow - what was it about your experiences that you did not want for your daughter? 

• kirbymom
    January 27, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Oh Seetpea! If she is the one asking for it, then you are not having her follow in your footsteps.  If you have done everything to make sure you are not pushing her in this direction and she is going in this direction anyway, then it is what she wants. At least for now it is what she wants.  I say let her have this opportunity. You and she will both find out whether or not this is her path in life. She will either, flourish or not. But you won't know if she doesn't at least try.  But this is just my opinion. This decision is your and hers alone to make. Its up to you.  And honestly, I do understand how you feel.   My mother was in the same boat as you are right now. Only for me it was gymnastics. I was approached from the same people who worked with Kathy Lou Retton, back in the day. But my mother felt that it shouldn't be the life of a young girl to spend her whole days practicing and never having a social life.  So, she told them no. I, of course was devestated at that time, but grew to understand as I became an adult.  I told you this, not to make you feel guilty, but to show you that I understand how you feel. The position you feel you are in.  

So whatever decision you make, you at least will have someone who understands either decision you make.  :)   

Homeschooling Moms