Homeschooling Moms

Donna.June
Teaching my child to read is dfficult :(
January 25, 2013 at 1:17 PM

I love reading, as does dh. I thought teaching dd1 would be easy, but it's proving to be otherwise. She will be 6 tomorrow and can read a few sight words. I'm trying to teach her how to sound out words, but she gets so distracted and doesn't seem interested. She is constantly mixing up "d' and "b", "m" and "w', and just doesn't focus. I end up cutting our lessons short, because I get frustrated. I feel like a failure, becuase it seems like my dd is the only kid not reading at her age. What can I do? Any help, advice, or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Mojitomommy
    January 25, 2013 at 1:18 PM
    I had trouble with my dd2 .. I got the book tech your child to read in 20 lessons or less and she loves it and it has help her a lot !
    Good luck !
  • AllofFive19
    January 25, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Is she dyslexic?

• ballerina.2006
    January 25, 2013 at 1:21 PM
    McRuffy is our reading/language arts program. My dd is almost 7 and just this year has shown interest in reading. She still does some of her ploys to stop but it isn't as bad. She wasn't ready and me pushing her bad it worse. Can you back off reading for a few weeks and then see what happens? Even if she "falls behind" it isn't a big deal since she will catch up. We are half way through K reading in 1st grade (an entire year behind) but since she is ready now we'll be caught up by fall most likely.
  • Donna.June
    January 25, 2013 at 1:26 PM

I bought that book too, but she didn't like it. Dd2 is more interested in it.

Quoting Mojitomommy:

I had trouble with my dd2 .. I got the book tech your child to read in 20 lessons or less and she loves it and it has help her a lot !
    Good luck !

• Donna.June
    January 25, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Not that I know of. I know kids at a young age mix those letters up a lot. How could she be tested for it?

Quoting AllofFive19:

Is she dyslexic?

• No_Difference
    January 25, 2013 at 1:28 PM

My daughter (she's 8) hates reading but loves it at the same time. She struggles horribly with reading, and down right REFUSED to learn to read til bascially last year! It was beyond frustrating and I felt like a complete failure too...and at times still do...
    With my 3 yr old, we started using the All About Reading and he's already well on his way to sounding out words and having a blast with it... It could partly be his personality, but the program does do a decent job of making reading interesting and hands on. There are times when I make my daughter sit in on HIS lessons just so she can get back to the bascis. I LOVE their spelling program too which has helped my daughter with her reading.

• Donna.June
    January 25, 2013 at 1:32 PM

She hasn't shown any interest in reading at all, so I haven't been trying too long. This past year, I've let her decide what to do. She's mostly into art stuff and some math. I just feel so bad that she's not reading. Plus, dh isn't too happy about her not reading. And I know once mil finds out, she won't be happy with me. I don't know what to do :(

Quoting ballerina.2006:

McRuffy is our reading/language arts program. My dd is almost 7 and just this year has shown interest in reading. She still does some of her ploys to stop but it isn't as bad. She wasn't ready and me pushing her bad it worse. Can you back off reading for a few weeks and then see what happens? Even if she "falls behind" it isn't a big deal since she will catch up. We are half way through K reading in 1st grade (an entire year behind) but since she is ready now we'll be caught up by fall most likely.

• AutymsMommy
    January 25, 2013 at 1:33 PM

They won't usually test for it at this age. Not usually. It is still considered perfectly normal to mix up letters and transpose letters at this age.

Quoting Donna.June:

Not that I know of. I know kids at a young age mix those letters up a lot. How could she be tested for it?

Quoting AllofFive19:

Is she dyslexic?

• AllofFive19
    January 25, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Have you tried Starfall.com? That's a good site for reading and may make it fun for her.

• ballerina.2006
    January 25, 2013 at 1:37 PM
    I'd wait longer. My dd is artsy and VERY mathmatical so it takes her longer to understand reading. I'm a bookworm and it took me a year to figure out that going slow for her was best. She will be more like dh but that's okay. My barely 4yo is more interested in reading.

Play off of her strengths. Use sight words as art projects or somehow incorperate reading with math. Make it fun. She'll probably benefit from mixed lessons like macaroni word art or similar activities :) don't stress!

Quoting Donna.June:

She hasn't shown any interest in reading at all, so I haven't been trying too long. This past year, I've let her decide what to do. She's mostly into art stuff and some math. I just feel so bad that she's not reading. Plus, dh isn't too happy about her not reading. And I know once mil finds out, she won't be happy with me. I don't know what to do :(

Quoting ballerina.2006:

Homeschooling Moms