Homeschooling Moms

Donna.June
Teaching my child to read is dfficult :(
January 25, 2013 at 1:17 PM

I love reading, as does dh. I thought teaching dd1 would be easy, but it's proving to be otherwise. She will be 6 tomorrow and can read a few sight words. I'm trying to teach her how to sound out words, but she gets so distracted and doesn't seem interested. She is constantly mixing up "d' and "b", "m" and "w', and just doesn't focus. I end up cutting our lessons short, because I get frustrated. I feel like a failure, becuase it seems like my dd is the only kid not reading at her age. What can I do? Any help, advice, or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• livanded
    January 26, 2013 at 11:04 AM

We have started teaching my dd how to read and have three things that I have been using.  

First is the You can read sight word program at http://www.1plus1plus1equals1.com/SightWordsJoin.html

it introduces 4 words at a time and has fun activities to do, with my soon to be 5 year old we have been doing one set for 2 weeks. 

We have also started using an online program at http://www.readingbear.org 

it has a videos and just goes through sounding out words.  My dd can sound out words but getting all the sounds to blend is an issue for her. hearing it on lots of different words seems to be helping.  It also has quiz at the end of each lesson 

We also use the reading program at starfall 

it looks like the starfall program and reading bear program kinda follow the same lessons so let's say when I do short a on reading bear then I just find the same lesson for starfall.  

I don't know if this will help you but it's all free so it's cant hurt to try it.

• Tal0n
    by Tal0n
    January 26, 2013 at 12:41 PM

I'd stop teaching awhile, and just read to her.

Seriously.

When she's mixing up things like she is, and having trouble sounding out words, those are markers for dyslexia.  Take the pressure off both of you for awhile and read to her.  Lots.

• bellaamore
    January 26, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons tends to be more effective for harder cases than the "20 lessons" variety.

Give it a try.

• songbird2716
    January 26, 2013 at 12:46 PM
    Not all kids are ready at that age. Of she's not interested, then she's probably not ready. Maybe give it a break for a month or even two....
    Continue to read out loud to her, and let her catch you engrossed in a book. When she starts to show interest, answer her questions but don't pressure her. When she's ready she'll let you know.

Homeschooling Moms