Homeschooling Moms

poohsybear
HELP... Homeschooling a 4 year old
January 25, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I am new to this. I have a almost 5 year old and a almost 2 year old. I am thinking I wanna home school beacuse I sont like the school system here. My girls are reall smart anyways but I wanna work more with them just not sure what subjects and activities we should be doing. Could you give me some pointers. Thanks

Replies

• bluerooffarm
    January 25, 2013 at 11:02 AM
    At this age, read to them, play with them, sing songs.
    My 4yo and I have a great game where we have a big box of leggos. We pick a color and pick out as many as we can in 15 seconds. Put them together. We count mine then his and he tells me who has more. Then we pick another color and do it again.
    Have fun with them. Learning is play at this age!
  • oredeb
    by oredeb
    January 25, 2013 at 11:11 AM

memorize songs, verses, (they have great memories at this age),

what blue says!!!

• JuicyRedTomato
    January 25, 2013 at 11:12 AM

I agree with Blue. 

Anything that you do at this age should be geared towards fun, not necessarily highly structured. Once my son turned 5, I noticed a huge change in his attention span. At that point, we began doing more structured learning because he seems to truly enjoy it.

• kirbymom
    January 25, 2013 at 11:19 AM

You could even do this while hopping on one foot and asking what the colors are and then falling in a heap when all is said and done.  :)  

Quoting bluerooffarm:

My 4yo and I have a great game where we have a big box of leggos. We pick a color and pick out as many as we can in 15 seconds. Put them together. We count mine then his and he tells me who has more. Then we pick another color and do it again.

• bluerooffarm
    January 25, 2013 at 11:23 AM
    That sounds like fun! Thanks!

Quoting kirbymom:

You could even do this while hopping on one foot and asking what the colors are and then falling in a heap when all is said and done.  :)  

Quoting bluerooffarm:

• mem82
    by mem82
    January 25, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Look into Lapbooks. You can do any subject you want and I think younger kids really get a kick out of them.

• kirbymom
    January 25, 2013 at 12:01 PM

lol  ~  You are welcome.  :)  Love to help. 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

That sounds like fun! Thanks!

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

• KrissyKC
    January 25, 2013 at 2:05 PM

You can pick up books at the library about what is a general rule of thumb for starting KG and start teaching up to that...  however, remember that we homeschool because we like teaching to THEM and not just a group of kids..... so if they aren't ready for concepts that the books suggest, just wait a few months.

I have an almost 5 year old.   If you feel comfortable, Parents as Teachers just assessed my girl for KG readiness.   Some people don't like that because they feel it's asking the school to get involved... but the lady said they wouldn't fwd her info onto the school since she's going to be HSed.   They do keep them in their files, but I don't know for how long.

They play with them more than anything... asking them to do everything from hopping, skipping, and cutting... to writing, copying stuff, to patterns, to letter sounds, to singing and counting, to answering reasoning questions... ((like "If you are thirsty, what should you do?" and  "If you accidentally hurt a friend, what can you do?"))  

My daughter enjoyed her time with them immensely!    And I enjoyed seeing how much she has been learning this year both at home and in her part time preschool.

• womanwifemomof3
    January 25, 2013 at 2:22 PM

www.joyfullyrejoycing.com

• motheroffour186
    January 25, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Quoting bluerooffarm:

We went to Dollar Store and we brought hang up poster with ABC's 123's coloring and shapes. Reading

http://www.havefunteaching.com/

Painting coloring drawing songs  ABC's 123's coloring and shapes play bingo with letters and 123's or that letter you are you are working on for the day or week or month bingo put the words and pictures. They everyday life walking down the street my son learning how to count in the store.welcome to cafemom

Homeschooling Moms