Homeschooling Moms

CBMMOM
Virtual academies....
by CBMMOM
January 25, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Is anyone doing this? If so,do you like it? We are doing Florida Virtual school with connexus curriculum. It's been about 3 weeks and so far I hate it. 

Replies

• momoftwobugs
    January 26, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Thank you so much for your words of encouragment. I am fortunate that at this point it looks like our insurance will pay for at least the first part of the evaluations that our pediatrician is sending us for. There is a group here that he works with that is supposed to be really good so we will see. So far our ped has been the most wonderful part of all of this. He is very supportive and encouraging in our quest to get answers. At first I didn't want to believe that my son could have anything wrong but I now know that is it better to have the answers and know what to do than for us to continue to struggle. It's not the end of the world that there is something wrong and he will excel just in his own way.

Congrats on the great success with your dd. It sounds like you guys are turning the corner and that is a wonderful thing.

Quoting WantedNameTaken:

Our school system was no help at all, so I can relate to the head-banging.  We pulled DD and began K12, but in the end, the program really didn't allow us to customize it to DD's needs.

At the behest of our pediatrician, we started our quest for answers over 2 years ago and just got something definitive a few weeks ago.  We started with a 3-day EEG 2 years ago - the results were inconclusive, but we recently had DD evaluated by a psychologist and finally got an answer.  Insurance covered none of the psychological testing, but it was well worth the $$$ to finally be able to teach DD the way that her brain is designed to learn. :)

She's only been traditionally homeschooled for a week, but she has blossomed beyond belief!  She kept pulling me out of my chair yesterday, so that I could see what she'd accomplished.  She finished a project that I'd given her to research the Holy Roman Empire and create a presentation.  It was fun, exciting, and productive and she loved every minute of it.  Research, presentations (she can put together a PowerPoint like nobody's business LOL!), and hands-on activities allow her to thrive.  K12 can surely work for some kids, but with DD's attributes and learning style, it was not a good fit.

Best wishes with your DD and math whiz!  :)

Quoting momoftwobugs:

Thank you so much! I'm looking forward to getting the answers so that we know where to go from here. The school system has me beating my head against the wall. That's the good and the bad of virtual school. I have access to the resources of the school system since we are part of it but their rules and requirments make me crazy. Our pediatrician is referring us out so that we can get all of the evaluations and testing done outside of the school system so I can go back and tell them what we're going to do so to speak.

Quoting WantedNameTaken:

I hope you're able to get answers about the possible learning issue.  I know firsthand that it can be hard on the little one and mom.

hugs

• nonamegranny
    January 27, 2013 at 7:59 AM

Hi.    I and my daughter have been going through Washington Virtual academy . It's been a hard two years. And confusing.Its not as easy as letting u r child go to school. But it's better to. If the child will just get his work done , then it will go ok!    When your child has Add or ADHD its much harder. But I would rather have him home , then at a Regular school. No one picks on him, kids or Teachers. Virtual Acadamy goes by what your child knows not by what the School system thinks he's suppose to know. 

I don't know what curriculum it is ! Work with Teachers , and they should have the best work for his age. Ability good Luck , God Bless. There is a system that costs about 100.00 a month called  the Dragon. It helps the kids that don't like to write long senenteces, u just talk into its microphone and it prints out what they say.Check it out. May it become easier.

• busymommyof2012
    January 27, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Im going thru k12 and its not what I thought it would be im on a time schedule and I dont like it I thought home schooling is when I did it the class connects are set and we have to attend them, I cant do what I need to do till late in the afternoon and who wants to go to the store late in the afternoon im not sure what im going to do next year i dont really want to put them back in publc school so im not sure yet what I will do or what I can do we are in Tn if anyone has any ideas that can shed light on this Im open 

• KALmommy
    January 28, 2013 at 2:36 AM

We are doing K12 right now and I hate it!  Seriously considering dropping out this week. I HATE that we have to do the standardized state testing.  That's one of the reasons we left the b&m school.  And that is just one of the things I am hating...

• KALmommy
    January 28, 2013 at 2:42 AM

In my opinion it is just a public school from home although it does incorporate religion into some of it's lessons (i.e.my son had "Bible stories" in his literature book).  You have to meet monthly progress goals (that are their goals, not yours), do 60 min. of class connects a week and then have weekly teacher contact too.  I am very unhappy with :(

Quoting scoutwifemomof4:

I have a question, a friennd asked me about it & I don't know much about K12.  Is it actual homeschool or is it public school from home?  I was under the impression it was public school from home so we have stayed away from it because one of the reasonns we homeschool is to keep Christ centered in everything we do.  No judging, just looking for more info.  

• KickButtMama
    January 28, 2013 at 8:18 AM

We don't have those programs here in CT, but I'm sorry you're not getting along with it. 

• momoftwobugs
    January 28, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Not all districts require the class connects. Our district does not require them. All we are required to as far as that is one student connect a month with our homeroom teacher. It is 30 minutes per student. If we had to do the class connects I would be less likely to want to continue the curriculum than I am now.

Quoting KALmommy:

In my opinion it is just a public school from home although it does incorporate religion into some of it's lessons (i.e.my son had "Bible stories" in his literature book).  You have to meet monthly progress goals (that are their goals, not yours), do 60 min. of class connects a week and then have weekly teacher contact too.  I am very unhappy with :(

Quoting scoutwifemomof4:

I have a question, a friennd asked me about it & I don't know much about K12.  Is it actual homeschool or is it public school from home?  I was under the impression it was public school from home so we have stayed away from it because one of the reasonns we homeschool is to keep Christ centered in everything we do.  No judging, just looking for more info.  

• KALmommy
    January 28, 2013 at 4:57 PM
    I hate doing 2 a week (and when I have 3 kids enrolled, that is 6 a week!). If I only had to do 1 a month, I might like it better! Your district sounds a little more relaxed than mine :)

Quoting momoftwobugs:

Not all districts require the class connects. Our district does not require them. All we are required to as far as that is one student connect a month with our homeroom teacher. It is 30 minutes per student. If we had to do the class connects I would be less likely to want to continue the curriculum than I am now.

Quoting KALmommy:

Quoting scoutwifemomof4:

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts