Homeschooling Moms

CBMMOM
Virtual academies....
by CBMMOM
January 25, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Is anyone doing this? If so,do you like it? We are doing Florida Virtual school with connexus curriculum. It's been about 3 weeks and so far I hate it. 

Replies

• momoftwobugs
    January 25, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Mine are kinder and 2nd so we're dealing with around the same age group. Math is about the only thing that I use their assessments for and I don't always use every question because there are times that it just gets ridiculous. When I'm asking the exact same question 5 times but with different shapes to count that is way too much. I know after 1 or 2 if they know what they're doing.

I had the same concerns as you did at first about just marking stuff, but after speaking to several other moms who use the program and do things similarly I felt a little better about it. Now I don't really think about it at all. As long as they are meeting benchmarks on the testing that they have to complete I don't see the harm in it. Especially since when I first looked into K12 I was told each child would have an individual learning assessment and their learning would be tailored to them. That couldn't be farther from the truth as far as their curriculum is concerned. I'm just glad we have the freedom to do what we feel is best for our kids.

As far as Class Connects, we do use them occassionally. The kinder ones in our area are combined with the first graders and just aren't as well organized. The ones for 2nd grade are a lot better and I love having the ability to use them when we are struggling with something or I feel she needs something different to help her learn.

Quoting rhoopes:

I don't have my girls do the assessments. My kids are in grades 1st and 3rd. I usually put together some questions of my own and if I feel that they got it, I just go in and answer the assessment questions and move on. My oldest don't really like the computer stuff, so I do things different.   

At first I was a little leary about skipping lessons or just marking them complete, but from aims web and state testing, she is doing good, so I know she is learning, so that makes me feel better. I like to use the lessons as a reference and I usually do things my way.

In our state class connects are mandatory for some students. I have to say though I wasn't to hip on the fact that my 1st grader had to do the class connects, but I am glad she does them, because they have helped her so much better than I did at learning how to read. She is a little difficult to teach, my oldest is  whiz and she sometimes has to explain to me how to do certain math problems.

• cjsmom1
    by cjsmom1
    January 25, 2013 at 9:54 PM

I like it but am also kind of disappointed. We pulled him out of traditional public school because he wasn't learning anything and I feel like the work isn't hard enough for him. He can finish an entire days work in 2 hours. The problem is he won't do more then the minimum required.

• WantedNameTaken
    January 25, 2013 at 11:11 PM

OK, so it's the same.  Lesson, assessment.  Lesson, assessment.  Lesson, assessment.  All day long.  Glad to be done with that.  LOL!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

My boys are in k and 2nd and they have assessments at the end of nearly every math lesson, history lesson, science, lesson, music lesson, art lesson, and Spanish lesson. Sometimes the second worksheet in the math lesson also has to be entered for a grade along with an assessment after it.

Quoting WantedNameTaken:

MOTB,

When we first started K12, my youngest was in 5th grade, and I've never seen OLS for younger ones, so I'm not sure if it's the same.  How do you mark assignments complete without having to take the tests?  We couldn't click a button or check "complete" without having to do each assignment's assessment. Are there no assessments in the earlier grades, or do you enter all of the answers on their behalf to move on to the next assignment?

BTW, as you stated, we did modify lots of work by skipping the busywork portions when I knew a topic was mastered, so we'd move along to the assessment.  Thank goodness for the ability to skip busywork!  :)

I love this: "I'm a big believer in the idea that learning should be enjoyed not forced and if our kids are discouraged then we are just setting them up for failure."

Quoting momoftwobugs:

I was so happy to read your reply because this is how I feel too. I don't do a lot of the things that are in some lessons and others we do all of it. I base it on how engaged my student is and how well they are learning the concept.

We do have a teacher we report to as well as Class Connects. The Class Connects aren't mandatory so we don't do them. My kids do as little on the computer as I can get away with. I have a student in K and he does not do well with the phonics on the computer so I mark it as complete and we do phonics our way. As long as he is learning the material it doesn't matter how he learns it.

I love the accountability. I have a child who is very lazy and if we did tradtional homeschool it would be a lot harder on me to keep her on task. With K12 she knows she is accountable to me and her homeroom teacher. That helps a lot.

I think ultimately its about what works for you and your family and thats all that matters. I'm glad that those of you who were having trouble with the virtual stuff have found something that works. I'm a big believer in the idea that learning should be enjoyed not forced and if our kids are discouraged then we are just setting them up for failure.

Quoting rhoopes:

Both my daughters belong to a virtual academy.  We use k12.  I do like it. I honestly don't do everything in the lesson. If I feel that my daughters get it, we move on. I don't dwell on things that they already know. If for some reason the techniques in the lesson plan are not working, I just change a few things and then mark the lesson complete. 

The school we are using do class connects online. They don't really help my older daughter, but they have made a big difference for my younger daughter. 

I don't like the state tests, because they scare me, I think if they don't do good on them, then we won't be able to advance to the next grade level, but so far so good. My oldest is stubborn and she had to write a story about a particular thing and she ended up writing about something totally different, so needless to say she got a zero on that part. 

But overall, I like it.

• WantedNameTaken
    January 25, 2013 at 11:21 PM

I hope you're able to get answers about the possible learning issue.  I know firsthand that it can be hard on the little one and mom.

hugs

Quoting momoftwobugs:

Well I can mark it complete and record attendance from my log in. I do still have to do the assessments for the mastery portion. Fortunately for phonics there is only an assessment at the end of each unit and it's not online so we do it and then I just record the answers. For science and history I do it orally except for the ones that we have to turn in once a quarter. What I do there is treat them as if they are discussion questions that I'm having them think about instead of a test that they have to write out.

Math is really the hardest one to get around the assessments. What I do is not do an entire worksheet if they are grasping the concept and there is an assessment. I let the assessment be their worksheet so to speak. We also do a lot of work on dry erase boards. 

One thing I need to add too is that my kindergartener is struggling with learning. We are actually starting the evaluation process with him to see what exactly is going on, but I strongly suspect that he is dyslexic. We will see what the evaluation shows and go from there. It was because of his struggle that I started having to adapt things to make them work for us. 

My 2nd grader does great with worksheets and busy work so to speak. She actually enjoys it so she does do more of the written work than my son. I let her have some choice in it and go from there.

Quoting WantedNameTaken:

• WantedNameTaken
    January 25, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Your first-grader seems to really benefit from the CCs.  That's great!  It's what they were designed to do.  Your DD must have a really good reading teacher.  :)

Quoting rhoopes:

I don't have my girls do the assessments. My kids are in grades 1st and 3rd. I usually put together some questions of my own and if I feel that they got it, I just go in and answer the assessment questions and move on. My oldest don't really like the computer stuff, so I do things different.   

At first I was a little leary about skipping lessons or just marking them complete, but from aims web and state testing, she is doing good, so I know she is learning, so that makes me feel better. I like to use the lessons as a reference and I usually do things my way.

In our state class connects are mandatory for some students. I have to say though I wasn't to hip on the fact that my 1st grader had to do the class connects, but I am glad she does them, because they have helped her so much better than I did at learning how to read. She is a little difficult to teach, my oldest is  whiz and she sometimes has to explain to me how to do certain math problems. 

Quoting WantedNameTaken:

• momoftwobugs
    January 26, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Thank you so much! I'm looking forward to getting the answers so that we know where to go from here. The school system has me beating my head against the wall. That's the good and the bad of virtual school. I have access to the resources of the school system since we are part of it but their rules and requirments make me crazy. Our pediatrician is referring us out so that we can get all of the evaluations and testing done outside of the school system so I can go back and tell them what we're going to do so to speak.

Quoting WantedNameTaken:

I hope you're able to get answers about the possible learning issue.  I know firsthand that it can be hard on the little one and mom.

hugs

• CBMMOM
    by CBMMOM
    January 26, 2013 at 11:54 AM

And the assessments were a joke. There would be 2 or 3 very simple questions like" Point to the word "book" on your student's screen . Was she able to read it ?" That's not an exaggeration of how easy the questions were,either. We'd spend all that time and energy getting through those disjointed,convoluted lessons just for them to ask if she can read the words "book" and "shoe". Not one assessment she took had more than 5 questions. Usually less.

Quoting WantedNameTaken:

OK, so it's the same.  Lesson, assessment.  Lesson, assessment.  Lesson, assessment.  All day long.  Glad to be done with that.  LOL!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

My boys are in k and 2nd and they have assessments at the end of nearly every math lesson, history lesson, science, lesson, music lesson, art lesson, and Spanish lesson. Sometimes the second worksheet in the math lesson also has to be entered for a grade along with an assessment after it.

Quoting WantedNameTaken:

MOTB,

When we first started K12, my youngest was in 5th grade, and I've never seen OLS for younger ones, so I'm not sure if it's the same.  How do you mark assignments complete without having to take the tests?  We couldn't click a button or check "complete" without having to do each assignment's assessment. Are there no assessments in the earlier grades, or do you enter all of the answers on their behalf to move on to the next assignment?

BTW, as you stated, we did modify lots of work by skipping the busywork portions when I knew a topic was mastered, so we'd move along to the assessment.  Thank goodness for the ability to skip busywork!  :)

I love this: "I'm a big believer in the idea that learning should be enjoyed not forced and if our kids are discouraged then we are just setting them up for failure."

Quoting momoftwobugs:

I was so happy to read your reply because this is how I feel too. I don't do a lot of the things that are in some lessons and others we do all of it. I base it on how engaged my student is and how well they are learning the concept.

We do have a teacher we report to as well as Class Connects. The Class Connects aren't mandatory so we don't do them. My kids do as little on the computer as I can get away with. I have a student in K and he does not do well with the phonics on the computer so I mark it as complete and we do phonics our way. As long as he is learning the material it doesn't matter how he learns it.

I love the accountability. I have a child who is very lazy and if we did tradtional homeschool it would be a lot harder on me to keep her on task. With K12 she knows she is accountable to me and her homeroom teacher. That helps a lot.

I think ultimately its about what works for you and your family and thats all that matters. I'm glad that those of you who were having trouble with the virtual stuff have found something that works. I'm a big believer in the idea that learning should be enjoyed not forced and if our kids are discouraged then we are just setting them up for failure.

Quoting rhoopes:

Both my daughters belong to a virtual academy.  We use k12.  I do like it. I honestly don't do everything in the lesson. If I feel that my daughters get it, we move on. I don't dwell on things that they already know. If for some reason the techniques in the lesson plan are not working, I just change a few things and then mark the lesson complete. 

The school we are using do class connects online. They don't really help my older daughter, but they have made a big difference for my younger daughter. 

I don't like the state tests, because they scare me, I think if they don't do good on them, then we won't be able to advance to the next grade level, but so far so good. My oldest is stubborn and she had to write a story about a particular thing and she ended up writing about something totally different, so needless to say she got a zero on that part. 

But overall, I like it.

• bluerooffarm
    January 26, 2013 at 1:12 PM
    Have you had any of those second math worksheets to put the scores in under a try it heading? We skipped a bunch of those because we were told if the child knew the concept you could skip the extra worksheets. Then at the end of the first marking period Xave was given a 2 in 2 of his math graders. When I asked why, I was told it was because I had skipped those. And it was handled as though his teacher was a god or something. Even though he was far ahead of his class and had earned a 97 percent, the grade stood. I was very angry and just started entering good scores for them, but then the teacher started requesting that we scan and email them to her.
    I think it depends on the school group, we are agora in Pennsylvania, and the particular teacher for what kind of experience you ha e with the virtual academies. Last year we had a great experience, this year, not so much.

Quoting CBMMOM:

And the assessments were a joke. There would be 2 or 3 very simple questions like" Point to the word "book" on your student's screen . Was she able to read it ?" That's not an exaggeration of how easy the questions were,either. We'd spend all that time and energy getting through those disjointed,convoluted lessons just for them to ask if she can read the words "book" and "shoe". Not one assessment she took had more than 5 questions. Usually less.

Quoting WantedNameTaken:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting WantedNameTaken:

MOTB,

Quoting momoftwobugs:

Quoting rhoopes:

But overall, I like it.

• WantedNameTaken
    January 26, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Our school system was no help at all, so I can relate to the head-banging.  We pulled DD and began K12, but in the end, the program really didn't allow us to customize it to DD's needs.

At the behest of our pediatrician, we started our quest for answers over 2 years ago and just got something definitive a few weeks ago.  We started with a 3-day EEG 2 years ago - the results were inconclusive, but we recently had DD evaluated by a psychologist and finally got an answer.  Insurance covered none of the psychological testing, but it was well worth the $$$ to finally be able to teach DD the way that her brain is designed to learn. :)

She's only been traditionally homeschooled for a week, but she has blossomed beyond belief!  She kept pulling me out of my chair yesterday, so that I could see what she'd accomplished.  She finished a project that I'd given her to research the Holy Roman Empire and create a presentation.  It was fun, exciting, and productive and she loved every minute of it.  Research, presentations (she can put together a PowerPoint like nobody's business LOL!), and hands-on activities allow her to thrive.  K12 can surely work for some kids, but with DD's attributes and learning style, it was not a good fit.

Best wishes with your DD and math whiz!  :)

Quoting momoftwobugs:

Thank you so much! I'm looking forward to getting the answers so that we know where to go from here. The school system has me beating my head against the wall. That's the good and the bad of virtual school. I have access to the resources of the school system since we are part of it but their rules and requirments make me crazy. Our pediatrician is referring us out so that we can get all of the evaluations and testing done outside of the school system so I can go back and tell them what we're going to do so to speak.

Quoting WantedNameTaken:

hugs

• momoftwobugs
    January 26, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Yes we have had a few of those so what I started doing was scanning through the lesson during my prep time so I could catch those. A lot of the ones that are like that are marked as adaptive now so I can spot them easier. Our teacher is pretty easy going so that makes it really easy. She has a few families that give her trouble so those of us that seem to have our acts together get left alone which is a good thing.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Have you had any of those second math worksheets to put the scores in under a try it heading? We skipped a bunch of those because we were told if the child knew the concept you could skip the extra worksheets. Then at the end of the first marking period Xave was given a 2 in 2 of his math graders. When I asked why, I was told it was because I had skipped those. And it was handled as though his teacher was a god or something. Even though he was far ahead of his class and had earned a 97 percent, the grade stood. I was very angry and just started entering good scores for them, but then the teacher started requesting that we scan and email them to her.
    I think it depends on the school group, we are agora in Pennsylvania, and the particular teacher for what kind of experience you ha e with the virtual academies. Last year we had a great experience, this year, not so much.

Homeschooling Moms