Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
CBMMOM
Virtual academies....
by CBMMOM
January 25, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Is anyone doing this? If so,do you like it? We are doing Florida Virtual school with connexus curriculum. It's been about 3 weeks and so far I hate it. 

Replies

• mem82
    by mem82
    January 25, 2013 at 11:30 AM

I've never used one but here is a bump!

• kennethsmom910
    January 25, 2013 at 11:36 AM
    We do k12 and love it! We are thinking about doing it next year too. It flows well and his teachers are awesome. The administrators keep us up to date about what is going on. From what I have been told by other parents our school went through its growing pains. It is really gaining popularity here.
  • CBMMOM
    by CBMMOM
    January 25, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Quoting WantedNameTaken:

You can do it!  The ladies on this site are immensely helpful and there's a ton of help online and at the library.  I started the year with a boxed curriculum, but quickly stopped using it and bought a ton of books (student and teacher editions) on Amazon for dirt cheap.  We also take advantage of the seemingly infinite, free online worksheets, videos, and such.

If virtual school doesn't seem right, don't stick with it longer than necessary.  It sucked the love of learning right out of my kids.  They're much happier now. :)

Best wishes!

Quoting CBMMOM:

Quoting WantedNameTaken:

We did K12, but dropped it.  We pulled my son before this school year started and pulled my daughter on Tuesday of this week.  Freedom and less stress, here we come! :)

I am very seriously considering taking her out too. I feel like we did better on our own .  I'm glad to see we are not alone.

Thanks for the support! : )  I've already since I started this post,called and withdrawn her from virtual school. I already feel so much better. She's smiling and excited too. 

• WantedNameTaken
    January 25, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Happy Independence Day to both of you!  LOL!

Quoting CBMMOM:

Thanks for the support! : )  I've already since I started this post,called and withdrawn her from virtual school. I already feel so much better. She's smiling and excited too. 

• kirbymom
    January 25, 2013 at 12:14 PM

I haven't ever used them before, I write my own. Have from the very start.  

I am sorry though that you are not liking what your doing. Are you able to change up what your doing, even a little bit? 

• scoutwifemomof4
    January 25, 2013 at 12:37 PM

I had a friend that did Florida Virtual Academy, she hated it also.  I thinnk any school where a kid sits staring at a computer all day long is gonna get very boring very fast.  We did Alpha Ommega Academy (online chirstian distance learning) & it was the most miserable experience for us.

• scoutwifemomof4
    January 25, 2013 at 12:40 PM

I have a question, a friennd asked me about it & I don't know much about K12.  Is it actual homeschool or is it public school from home?  I was under the impression it was public school from home so we have stayed away from it because one of the reasonns we homeschool is to keep Christ centered in everything we do.  No judging, just looking for more info.  

• bluerooffarm
    January 25, 2013 at 1:02 PM
    It is public school at home. It is actually fairly open to a Christ interpretation. When we studied ancient civilizations, the story actually said that the waters were parted by the breath of God. Xavier read a story about zlateh the goat where God kept guiding the boy to safety. It was actually rather amazing what was allowed in a public school setting!

Quoting scoutwifemomof4:

I have a question, a friennd asked me about it & I don't know much about K12.  Is it actual homeschool or is it public school from home?  I was under the impression it was public school from home so we have stayed away from it because one of the reasonns we homeschool is to keep Christ centered in everything we do.  No judging, just looking for more info.  

• WantedNameTaken
    January 25, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Many states offer K12 as a public school option, but the program can also be purchased for private homeschooling.

We were using the public school option.

Quoting scoutwifemomof4:

• WantedNameTaken
    January 25, 2013 at 1:25 PM

That's one of the things that I actually did enjoy about the materials.  We were excited to see many biblical figures mentioned in both literature and history textbooks.

Since K12 has a home-based public school option, there's nothing that says we can't teach our kids about our personal faith, or lack thereof.  I've LOL'd when I've heard people say that the state would run up into houses and tell parents that they couldn't teach faith, because they were using public school materials.  Still LOL'ing.

When my two homeschooled kids were still in B&M public schools, they learned about many different religions in history classes.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

It is public school at home. It is actually fairly open to a Christ interpretation. When we studied ancient civilizations, the story actually said that the waters were parted by the breath of God. Xavier read a story about zlateh the goat where God kept guiding the boy to safety. It was actually rather amazing what was allowed in a public school setting!

Quoting scoutwifemomof4:

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN