Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
happymom0609
First time homeschooler
January 24, 2013 at 8:31 AM

Hello. My name is Kelly and I am homeschooling my 6 yr old son who is in 1st grade. This is my first adventure and I love it. My daughter starts Pre-K in the fall and I plan to home school her as well. I have a big hands - on approach to teaching my son, as this is his learning style.

I live in the greater Rochester NY area and am looking for other homeschoolers that do as well for information on local organizations and activities.

Replies

• WantedNameTaken
    January 24, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Welcome, Kelly!

• kirbymom
    January 24, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Well Hi there Kelly.  :)   Welcome to the group.  :)  

I'm Sonja, have 7 children whom I homeschool with the oldest having graduated.   

You will find several mothers in here that are from NY as well.  :)  JUst pull up a chair, make yourself comfortable, grab a cup of coffee and jump on in with any of the conversations that are going on. New conversations or old ones. Even start a conversation yourself.   :)  

You will find this group is drama free and very friendly.  :))

• swim-mom72
    January 24, 2013 at 9:44 AM

WELCOME!

I am Crystal and I homeschool my 2 boys, ages 12 and 15. This is our 6th year. I love this group, and I am sure you will too. Another place to look for local groups is yahoo and HSLDA.

• BramblePatch
    January 24, 2013 at 9:47 AM
    Hi!!!!

I schooling a young 1st and a pre-k out west in Idaho. I love this board...and there are great support groups on Facebook, too.
  • HyrulianHeroine
    January 24, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Hello and congratulations, however i am curious i am a first time homeschooling mother and i plan to home school my daughter. Did you preschool for pre-k? If so how did you go about it, My daughter is also starting pre-k, but because of our area she will not be attending public school. Just asking for a little advice :)

• happymom0609
    January 24, 2013 at 10:15 AM

To HyrulianHeroine,

Congrats to you as well. I have not started with my daughter. She will be 4 in Feb. I plan to just work on shapes, colors, numbers, letters...... the basics then take it further based on how well she does. Work on fine motor skills such as using scissors, how to correctly hold a pencil, maybe tracing letters. Matching, sorting. I found a website, childcareland.com that has lots of ideas. She has also expressed a interest in reading, always asking what things say, so I found "How to teach your child to read in a 100 easy lessons" by Siegfried Engelmann. You can find it on Amazon.com for $12 and change.

My son however did attend a local Pre-K program and this has helped me with what to do with my daughter. If you are worried about the socialization aspect, by all means enroll her, but there are a lot of local programs you can find in your area for home-schooled children. My town hall has a playgroup specifically for home-schooled kids. Not to mention all the local home school groups and associations you can join. Good luck. Let me know if I can be of any more help.

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    January 24, 2013 at 10:24 AM

welcome kelly!!!  your post sounds so encouraging!! it sure is an adventure!!

• bren_darlene
    January 24, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Welcome Kelly!  You are in for some of the best years of your life!  All 15 of our DC were/are educated at home.  I am now down to my last one (she is 15).  We have a whole slew of grandbabies that are now educated at home also  :-)

• coala
    by coala
    January 24, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Welcome!!  This is our first FULL year HS.  I have a 1st grader (just adopted) that we had for a bit in the fall of 2011.  She came back to us in the Spring of 2012 with just a few weeks left of PS so we let her finish it out.  She was looking at not passing b/c he birth mom was so uninvolved with her.  We had her turned around and ready to pass in about 3 weeks.  It just goes to show you how involvment in your childs education makes a world of difference.  She is now doing wonderful in 1st grade through ABeka.  My 4 1/2 you just started K with ABeka as well.  It doesn't take much to teach at home.

Are you starting with you soon to be 4 yo now?  I am a fan of working with them when they are "ready".  My DD was counting before she was 2 (actully got it on video for her 2nd birthday...blows my MIL away every time she watches it).  She was trying to ready before she was 2, but she couldn't make the connections until she was almost 4.  I have an incredibly birght LO who shocks just about anyone she talks to partly b/c she is so young and she is petite and about the size of a 3 yo.  Good luck with your journey b/c it truly is one.

• happymom0609
    January 24, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Wonderful to hear that your daughter is doing well. I plan to start with my daughter who turns 4 in Feb. in September. I believe she is ready to learn how to read. She is very interested in sounding out letters when I review flashcards with her. She points to and repeats the words in her stories after me. We will see.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts