Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
vamom21
productivity vs. creativity
by vamom21
January 23, 2013 at 4:55 PM

I've reached the midway point of my first HS year with my fourth grader, and somehow I am getting caught in a struggle to find a balance between making sure our day is productive and allowing for freedom and creativity. I realize that the main benefit of HS is freedom to work outside of a rigid schedule, but I guess a schedule is just ingrained in my psyche. Dont' want my desire to pass on appreciation for productivity to be a negative point for my DS. Any feedback is appreciated.

Replies

• romacox
    by romacox
    January 23, 2013 at 5:02 PM

I am not sure I understand your question.  But if you are wondering if your child is really learning, perhaps this will help 

Grade Level Requirements

Brewer Testing Services    

Bayside School Services

If that is not what you are looking for, may be an article about the Different Methods Used By Home Educators will be more helpful.

• Precious333
    January 23, 2013 at 5:07 PM
    Maybe having some structure/productivity for very limited times and then allow for creativity, or however your child responds best. I know u hate schedule, i would love to have only creativity/ free time and spontaneous axtivities.However my son response well to routine ans schedules, so i try and make a compromise by starting with a routine ans ending with, ok lets play this game, or play, or do this creative project. Also, i make our schedule short and fast pace, and leave creative times/ games flexible......my kids are young btw.....oldest is first grader.
  • Precious333
    January 23, 2013 at 5:11 PM
    And to add as well, those creative times (whatever i may be...play time, games ,crafts etc) are productive and maybe very important.....many times it will stick with the child more than, lets say, a workbook or something like that.
  • jen2150
    by jen2150
    January 23, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Try combining the two.  Creativity is always the more important of the two.  Don't be afraid to go off the beaten path.  

• kirbymom
    January 23, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Being productive is not the same as how many hours you spend teaching/learning. If you are not too sure of how much of this is happening, you might try and change HOW you deliver your teaching. Not so much as what but how you say what you say. Come from a different perspective/mind set.  

• 825photog
    January 23, 2013 at 8:56 PM
    I agree on combining the two together. That may seem scarey, but sometimes those are the best days!
  • jen2150
    by jen2150
    January 24, 2013 at 8:22 AM

I would also add that productivity is not always apparent.  Concentrate on imagination, creativity, and a love of learning and you can't go wrong.  There were so many things my children were learning that I was not even aware.

• srichtermom
    January 24, 2013 at 10:14 PM

I totally know what you mean!  I'm also in our first year of homeschooling and my dd is in 4th grade and my son is 4.5 years old.  I've been trying to not let my perceived schedule stop us from going with the flow of learning if that makes any sense.  The first few months I was much more rigid and we had to get everything done in my lesson plan.  Since we've been back after Christmas, I've been trying to focus more on incorporating a bit more hand-on learning, life skills and watching my kids for cues that they want to do.  For example, the other day in math, my daughter was flying through the lesson and was really interested in it, so rather than stop where my lesson plan told us to, we went through a few more lessons and then I switched our schedule for the next day.  Today we decided to have an impromptu reading day.  We went to the library, loaded up on books and spent most of the day reading and learning that way.  I'm a very big planner and for me to be less structured has definitely been a learning curve, but I'm getting there.  Hope some of that helps!!

• KrissyKC
    January 24, 2013 at 11:25 PM

If you want the structure and your child thrives on it, but don't want to lose the free moments, then structure those in...

I set our work up into "blocks" and we complete them in blocks...   if we want to free up some time for an extra project, I cancel a block or two and we focus on the extra project or field trip or something.

It gives me flexibility, and I can say things like... 'Let skip block A today (our math, handwriting, and typing block)... and we'll run to the grocery store and listen to some American History on CD on the way there instead.   

A few days later I might skip our Science and Social studies block so we can hit the library and go swimming at the community center instead.   After we get home, our "D" block is some independent work they do while I get the swimsuits in the wash, start dinner, and nurse the baby.

Another day, they are really loving their read aloud and want to play banana grams instead of spelling... so we skip "B" block which is my language arts and spelling block.

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    January 25, 2013 at 10:23 AM

what is your schedule for each day?

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts