Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
k.vickery26
new to homeschooling
January 23, 2013 at 9:18 AM
I'm really tired of the public school situations and the inappropriate things they are trying to force on my 7 & almost 9 year old girls. I've sent an interest form in to the GCA for next school year and am hopeful we are accepted. Any advice for homeschooling for the first time? I also have a one year old.

Replies

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    January 23, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Have fun, make things hands on, follow your kids interests, be flexible and don't be afraid to experiment with different methods.  There are many helpful homeschooling books out there.  I would look some up at your local library.  Remember you will learn as you go.  Listen to everything your kids are telling you.  Welcome to homeschooling.  Also remember it takes time to get the hang of homeschooling.  The first year is usually the hardest.

• mommapbear
    January 23, 2013 at 11:11 AM

im new to homeschooling too my daughter is 16 hoping to get some help in getting started nice to meet u :)

• mem82
    by mem82
    January 23, 2013 at 11:33 AM
    Good luck! You can do it!
  • oredeb
    by oredeb
    January 23, 2013 at 1:03 PM

hi vickery!! welcome

why would you have to be excepted? what is gca?

• bren_darlene
    January 23, 2013 at 1:16 PM

What state are you in?  I like Deb was wondering why you have to be "accepted"  :-)

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    January 23, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Don't expect everything to be perfect. Find out what their learning styles are & what they are interested in, use that to help make the learning fun & engaging for both them & you.

• jak3739
    by jak3739
    January 23, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Don't put too much pressure on yourself.  You don't have to school for 8 hours like a public school, nor assign nearly as much work.  Since the children are getting one-on-one instruction and extra help all the time, they don't need to do nearly as much to make sure that they understand.  Also, you don't have to do busy work, just do what they need to learn the concept.  I guess my last piece of advice is to not feel pressured to keep moving, if one of them gets stuck, feel free to stop.  It is so much better when you work on something until it is mastered instead of checking more topics off the list.  I think that is one of the biggest advantages of homeschooling.

Remember also, that schools are only required to do 75-80% of the curriculum for the year. When I was a public school teacher, I calculated how much time was actually spent on active learning of core academics, it came out to 1 hour and 35 minutes, and that was on a day with no assemblies, fire drill, or other interuptions.  That was when I decided that I could actually homeschool.

I recommend finding a local homeschool group.  The people in homeschooling groups will be able to help you with deciding on curriculum and open up the door to the wealth of resources that are out there for homeschoolers.

Lastly, remember to not make any decisions about whether or not to continue homeschooling in january or February.  I read an article about this before I started homeschooling and it is so true.  It is easy to get overwhelmed in the middle of the winter, but keep pushing and come Spring it will be much easier.

If you have any questions, please feel free to message me.  I have a 2nd grader and a K4 student this year.  When we started my son was barely 2, so I know what it is like to school with a toddler in the house.  Best wishes!

• romacox
    by romacox
    January 23, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Welcome k.vickery26,

I am a home school workshop leader, and am often asked about how to get started.  So I put together this free web page to help.  How To Home School

If you want to dig a bit deeper, the following page explains  the different methods used by home educators.  Home school is not the classroom

Also Homeschooling With A Toddler (& Enjoy it)

• k.vickery26
    January 23, 2013 at 5:37 PM
    The GCA is the Georgia Cyber Academy. Its an online public school that is accredited but is minus the propaganda and minus talking to small children about sex. Two big reasons we're trying to get out of Douglas county schools. They specially create the curriculum for the child, there's tons of support, other ways to be social, and they'll be able to help me keep them from falling behind. I'll still be the one teaching them but I'm afraid of not having someone keep tabs until I'm used to doing it.

Quoting oredeb:

hi vickery!! welcome

why would you have to be excepted? what is gca?

• k.vickery26
    January 23, 2013 at 5:40 PM
    Because of high demand and a grade cap it may become a lottery situation so I won't know till March if that has happened.

Quoting bren_darlene:

What state are you in?  I like Deb was wondering why you have to be "accepted"  :-)

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN