Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
QueenCreole313
ADHD and Homeschooling
January 22, 2013 at 7:20 PM
So I am curious if anyone here is honeschooling a child with ADHD. I do not want to put my son on meds and read that homeschooling helps with ADHD and often kids who are medicated in traditional school are blue to come off if their meds at home.

Has anyone experienced this?

Replies

• Boobah
    by Boobah
    January 22, 2013 at 9:19 PM
    Many are in this group! I will bump for them ;)
  • LilrockerMama
    January 22, 2013 at 11:28 PM
    Well I just took my son off meds and started homeschooling. I'm hoping it helps but it's too early to tell. I give him frequent breaks to try and not let him get so antsy and so far he is but I think a lot of it is because its new and exciting for him.
  • romacox
    by romacox
    January 23, 2013 at 7:44 AM

My children are grown, but I still tutor and give home school and teacher workshops.  As a tutor I work with many children who are diagnosed with ADHD with great success. 

Stress is a major cause of learning disabilities (ADHD included) , and the one size fits all approach used in public schools puts way too many children under unnecessary stress.  It often leads them to believe there is something wrong with them.  These children do better at home where the teaching method can be adjusted to their needs, which reduces stress, and shows them they can learn. Unfortunately it has become more profitable to treat symptoms than to find cures.  Following is an article that explains some of my findings.  Learning Disabilities.

• edelweiss23
    January 23, 2013 at 7:47 AM
    I was homeschooled with ADHD. By keeping me home and teaching me how to concentrate without medication, my mom helped me be able to finish HS, go to college and have a good job.

When I was medicated, I felt like I was living in a fog and my mind had trouble processing what I was learning.

My mom took me off meds and was a royal task master(looking back) but it really helped.
  • QueenCreole313
    January 23, 2013 at 8:16 AM
    Thanks. People seems to think that if I take him out of traditional school that my son will not learn how to manage his ADHD. Your story gives me hope that I am doing the right thing. Can I ask did you see a counselor or therapist to help or did your mom help you primarily?

Quoting edelweiss23:

I was homeschooled with ADHD. By keeping me home and teaching me how to concentrate without medication, my mom helped me be able to finish HS, go to college and have a good job.

When I was medicated, I felt like I was living in a fog and my mind had trouble processing what I was learning.

My mom took me off meds and was a royal task master(looking back) but it really helped.
  • edelweiss23
    January 23, 2013 at 8:56 AM
    I didn't see a counselor.

Whenever I would start to get antsy, my mom would say " go run". That was my cue that I was misbehaving and needed to let off steam.

Quoting QueenCreole313:

Thanks. People seems to think that if I take him out of traditional school that my son will not learn how to manage his ADHD. Your story gives me hope that I am doing the right thing. Can I ask did you see a counselor or therapist to help or did your mom help you primarily?

Quoting edelweiss23:

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts