Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
BraydensMama163
So excited. A homeschooling program! ***UPDATE***
January 22, 2013 at 3:34 PM

We are members of our local children's museum. The other day I logged on to their website to check party space and saw they were offering a homeschooling class for kids 1st thru 4th grade. Its a pilot class and its 10 dollars and he gets to go for an hour. If the feedback is good they will continue it during the fall.
I just registered DS for the pilot class in two days. I hope he likes it!

We just got home, I don't know exactly what went on because i had my three year old with me and wasnt allowed to sit in the room with her :( but I peeked in the door a few times and he seemed to be really enjoying it. I saw him raise his hand a few time, he came out after the hour was over smiling and waving a "treasure map" he had made in front of him. They used graph paper and each 1 in square counted for 1 mile. His was 6 miles long lol. He then wanted to go do reading time! A first for my kids. We went into the library and listened to The Kissing Hand. (A favorite in our home) and we played a bit more and then came home. I had to babysit so it was a short trip. I got to drink a cup of coffee and watch DD play for a while. It was actually relaxing for me. I so hope they keep the program. It will only be a once a month thing though, sadly. 

Also, I picked up a local magazine called Parents and Kids and found this edition slam full of resources for kids with ADHD and a few resources for local homeschooling groups! I made a few phone calls and applied for two homeschool groups in my area. Yay!!!!

Replies

• BraydensMama163
    January 22, 2013 at 9:40 PM
    I will.

Quoting oredeb:

sounds fun!!! let us know how it goes!!

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    January 22, 2013 at 9:48 PM

It was because it gave the homeschoolers here one less place for classes & it made the museum leery of working with the homeschool community.

Quoting BraydensMama163:

Oh my. That's horrible.

Quoting usmom3:

Our local science museum used to offer homeschool classes & they where great but the lady that was in charge of it got fired for stealing from the museum & they stopped offering the classes after that.

• sheila5745
    January 23, 2013 at 8:02 AM

Same here, I have yet to find any homeschoolers around here let alone special needs homeschoolers.. The Akron Zoo offers sessions with them. Right now tooo cold!!!

Quoting irvinehiker:

Wow!  That's great.  There is nothing like that here.  Not too many homeschoolers around.  

• sheila5745
    January 23, 2013 at 8:05 AM

Good luck, hope you find someone... 

Quoting BraydensMama163:

I got lucky. I wish I knew of some homeschooling parents around me. Maybe we will meet some at the class. We are all alone here in this.

Quoting cjsmom1:

That's great! I wish I could find something like that near me

• BraydensMama163
    January 24, 2013 at 2:04 PM

bump

• irvinehiker
    January 24, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Sounds like everyone had a great time!!  :)  So glad you found some more resources!  

I sure wish I could find a homeschool group that I have something in common with.  Maybe I should start one.  

• coala
    by coala
    January 24, 2013 at 2:35 PM

We have a few things locally that we can do with our Science center and our zoo.  The science center is a 30 min drive and the zoo is about an hour.  I really like that they are offering things for your  kids that they enjoy.

• rebeccasmly
    January 24, 2013 at 2:37 PM
    Awesome!
  • BraydensMama163
    January 24, 2013 at 3:47 PM
    I think you can just Google search it in your area. See what comes up. Do you get a free parenting magazine in your state? That's where I found all the resources.

Quoting irvinehiker:

Sounds like everyone had a great time!!  :)  So glad you found some more resources!  

I sure wish I could find a homeschool group that I have something in common with.  Maybe I should start one.  

• BraydensMama163
    January 24, 2013 at 3:49 PM
    The children's museum is about 20-30 minutes from us and the science museum is right next door. Our zoo is horrible though and in a really high crime area

Quoting coala:

We have a few things locally that we can do with our Science center and our zoo.  The science center is a 30 min drive and the zoo is about an hour.  I really like that they are offering things for your  kids that they enjoy.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts