Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
smalltowngal
Might need to home school my kids a bit.
January 22, 2013 at 2:41 PM

So, it looks like we might be moving to England for a while so I'll have to pull my kids out of school probably the beginning of April. I have no idea where to begin with home schooling. They're only 4 and 6. Where should I even begin with rescources? If we're there for longer than 6 months, I will probably enroll them in an English, public school. 

Replies

• Annastacialynn
    January 22, 2013 at 3:04 PM

How long will you be over there? If it is only for 6 months, I would maybe ask your child(ren's) current teacher(s) what kinds of things they will be missing in those last two months and try to fill in the blanks that way for April and May. Then I would do summer break (June, July, August) and see if you can find out what the kids will be starting on in August and September at the school you will be going back to. If you are going to do it for longer, then I would check into curriculums (sonlight, christian liberty press, I know there are more, but I can't think of them... you'll get a lot of search results on google). Check out the library for how to homeschool books, those were helpful to me at first.

http://www.worldbook.com/typical-course-of-study?wbredirect=1&Itemid=216  - this will give you a pretty good idea of what they should be learning through each year. I'm sure you'll get some other advice on here - I hope this helps you for now!!! :)

• SusanTheWriter
    January 22, 2013 at 3:08 PM

My kids started school in the UK and had a really good time. They start earlier and push a little harder, though, so kids who have been in American ps usually start out behind the curve.

We lived in a small village and the local school was affiliated with the Church of England, yet still what we consider a "public" school. The vicar would come and give a little talk once a month or so, nothing pushy or evangelical.

But if we'd only been there for a couple of months, then homeschooling would definitely have been an option.

• KrissyKC
    January 22, 2013 at 3:25 PM

You might want to check with the laws there, too... some countries (I've heard, so don't quote me).. don't allow any form of homeschooling, not even by Americans there temporarily.  

But then, I don't know for sure, it could be something I heard incorrectly.

I like the suggestion from Anna.... if you aren't planning on HSing for longer than the time you are gone, inquire what will be covered off their current school district.

• romacox
    by romacox
    January 22, 2013 at 3:37 PM
  • smalltowngal
    January 22, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Quoting Annastacialynn:

How long will you be over there? If it is only for 6 months, I would maybe ask your child(ren's) current teacher(s) what kinds of things they will be missing in those last two months and try to fill in the blanks that way for April and May. Then I would do summer break (June, July, August) and see if you can find out what the kids will be starting on in August and September at the school you will be going back to. If you are going to do it for longer, then I would check into curriculums (sonlight, christian liberty press, I know there are more, but I can't think of them... you'll get a lot of search results on google). Check out the library for how to homeschool books, those were helpful to me at first.

http://www.worldbook.com/typical-course-of-study?wbredirect=1&Itemid=216  - this will give you a pretty good idea of what they should be learning through each year. I'm sure you'll get some other advice on here - I hope this helps you for now!!! :)

We don't know yet. We could be there 4 months or we could be there over a year or longer. We're going to get less than 4 weeks probably to pack up our stuff and go. :/ Kind of freaking out a bit. 

• smalltowngal
    January 22, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

My kids started school in the UK and had a really good time. They start earlier and push a little harder, though, so kids who have been in American ps usually start out behind the curve.

We lived in a small village and the local school was affiliated with the Church of England, yet still what we consider a "public" school. The vicar would come and give a little talk once a month or so, nothing pushy or evangelical.

But if we'd only been there for a couple of months, then homeschooling would definitely have been an option.

I'm not too worried about my son. He's 4 and reading and can do some math. My DD on the other hand is artistic and hyper. I am really worried her personality won't go over to well there and she's really bad about speaking out of turn. :/ 

• bether89
    January 22, 2013 at 4:48 PM

I would agree with Annatacialynn about talking to your child's current teacher about the things that you will need to cover for the rest of the school term.

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    January 22, 2013 at 6:21 PM

if you move back in 4 months will it be to the same place you live now? same school?

you could take summer vacation early!

• smalltowngal
    January 22, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Quoting oredeb:

if you move back in 4 months will it be to the same place you live now? same school?

you could take summer vacation early!

Yes, it will be same school district. 

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts