Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
QueenCreole313
Math Curriculum?
January 22, 2013 at 6:09 AM

Hey ladies! So, I've officially decided to start homeschooling (at the most by next year!) YAYY! So, my biggest concern is with finding a good math curriculum. I was thinking of getting Abeka's math for my son (who will be in grade 5 next year.) Has anyone used it? Pros/Cons?

I also love Kumon's approach. I think I will suppliment with their drills. There workbooks are so inexpensive.

What do you do for your Math Curriculum?

Replies

• motheroffour186
    January 23, 2013 at 9:59 AM
    I take what they need to learn and i make a curriculum for my fifth grade like add subtraction multiples divde decimal averages fractions equivalents area measures graphs Geometry ect.
  • Jinx-Troublex3
    January 23, 2013 at 12:08 PM

We are mainly a Math U See family./ I love the way ot teaches and the strong foundation it gives by being mastery. My oldest went up through Algebra, did some with ALEKs math to supplement, then came back to MUS for geometry.  DD has been doing great on it and is now in Delta (4th grade) division. I see her sticking with it.

My middle DS has an unspecified learning disability and got stuck on the MUS 5th grade fractions book - we went backward, reviewed, and he would just PANIC every time we got back to multiplying/dividing fractions.  What a nightmare that was so we switched him to Teaching Textbooks and he is doing really well on it.We finished 5th grade and used it for 6th and now 7th.

Teaching Textbooks, HOWEVER, it is a bit "behind" grade level IMO. He is now in 7th grade JUST did the fractions a couple weeks ago  that he was stuck on inthe 5th grade book with MUS.

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    January 23, 2013 at 12:17 PM

We use teaching textbooks and love it.  My kids  love it.  I also encourage my kids to play with math and we also love reading the Life of fred together.  We are doing the elementary version.  There are no math textbooks that are exactly the same.  They are all different.  I would just experiment until you find what you like.  TT has a resale value almost equal to what you pay for it.  It is worth the money especially if you have a kid that enjoys working on the computer.

• denmomof3
    January 23, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Teaching Textbooks, grade 6.  My daughter absolutely loves it!!  I'm thinking she will use the same curriculum next school year.

• rsrangel
    January 25, 2013 at 4:29 PM

I watched some of the vidoes for Waldorf and I'm interested, but the website confused me a little on what material to buy because there are several books.  What did you buy?

Quoting Boobah:

Gosh, let me think what I remember... It was okay, but it just didn't suit us. We get bored with the constant facts and worksheets.  I really like how Waldorf allows you to create your own text book (well, the child creates it) through their work.  See above for the description.  Julia (dd) is really more of a hands on, real life kind of kid.  Worksheets frustrate and bore her to tears.  When creating your own text book, not only are you writing and learning the facts, but it is almost a work of art after you are done!

Quoting rsrangel:

Quoting Boobah:

I use waldorf math. I tried saxon and horizons.

Did you not like Horizons?  Just curious, because we used it last year for 1st grade.  I liked it and will am planning on using it again.  However, I now need to look into this Waldorf math you mentioned!

• Boobah
    by Boobah
    January 25, 2013 at 9:04 PM
    I have the full first grade curriculum which includes math, or you can buy math grades 1-5. I also like christopherus' math, it looks like it may give a tad more direction than waldorf essentials math that I have. Check out arithmetic village. It isnt a math curriculum but is super cute

Quoting rsrangel:

I watched some of the vidoes for Waldorf and I'm interested, but the website confused me a little on what material to buy because there are several books.  What did you buy?

Quoting Boobah:

Gosh, let me think what I remember... It was okay, but it just didn't suit us. We get bored with the constant facts and worksheets.  I really like how Waldorf allows you to create your own text book (well, the child creates it) through their work.  See above for the description.  Julia (dd) is really more of a hands on, real life kind of kid.  Worksheets frustrate and bore her to tears.  When creating your own text book, not only are you writing and learning the facts, but it is almost a work of art after you are done!

Quoting rsrangel:

Quoting Boobah:

I use waldorf math. I tried saxon and horizons.

Did you not like Horizons?  Just curious, because we used it last year for 1st grade.  I liked it and will am planning on using it again.  However, I now need to look into this Waldorf math you mentioned!

• pinkschoolhouse
    January 25, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Singapore Math

• superwoman0105
    January 26, 2013 at 10:35 AM

This is our first year homeschooling and we use Abeka for everything, including Math.  My son is 7 and in second grade this year.  Before I started homeschooling, the preschool and private school he went to for Pre-k through 1st used Abeka and we just love the program.  I guess it depends on your student.  My child hates worksheets and stuff, which Abeka uses in their workbook,  so I have to use a more hands on approach like flashcards and a small dry erase board and colorful markers for him to work problems on.  The lessons themselves are very easy to teach because they tell you what to say and how to teach each concept.  Hope this helps.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts