Homeschooling Moms

stargazerwolf
Just had our first real preschool/homeschool tryout day
January 22, 2013 at 12:39 AM

So anyone who is on here a lot might have seen all my posts lately about homeschooling and still deciding and such. I had decided to get paperwork together in case we did homeschool, then found out I really don't have to worry about it til next year since she will just be turning 5 in April. Anyway, I made a lesson plan outline, then last night a sort of monthly plan because I decided to work with her now for a month to see how I do with scheduled days for teaching her. I decided to start right away because I've waited too long and she really needs to start working more with ABCs and such regardless of if I homeschool or not. Also I will homeschool so long as me and my boyfriend can agree that I can stay home or only work part time so I can do it. He just wants to see I will stick with it and we want to refigure our budget after taxes come back, stuffs paid off and his raise in Feb.

So here is how our first day went and I'm excited! I have on my "schedule" that I want to do Language Arts everyday, one alphabet letter a day I think is doable, I planned to have her write the letter in upper and lower case as well as cut out the letters I do bubble style on paper. Then we go over words that start with the letter (pics with the words) and how the letter sounds. So my short lesson went ok, she doesn't write her little a's very well (like an O with a line straight out) but that can be worked on. She knows the letter A because it is the last letter of her name and she can write her name. I struggled a bit as I have been on doing the phonics part. I gave her a break as she easily stresses over stuff and starts throwing random sounds out even though she knew it before. After a bit we did Art. We painted flowers and I painted the big and little A for her to go over, painted an apple and alligator for her.

Well she loves art so of course that went well. So I was trying to think of how to get her to understand sounds better and remembered the suggestion of Starfall's online program, I saved it in Favorites and went to it. Well it was wonderful!! Their methods are great! She got about 6 letters in a row and remembered their sounds and words that start with them and everything! Then we proceed to check out everything else, songs, numbers, activities etc. We spent about 2 hours on there! So since I'm not a memeber or whatever on there yet I looked into so I could have access to all their stuff and its like $35 for a year, I'm so paying that when I get taxes back. So worth it and it makes phonics fun for her.

After our good day today, I'd say we got in a good 4 hours or more just taking it easy. I only plan to do about 2 subjects a day since its preschool will be kindergarten and most include fun activities. I have so much planned for when it is warm out again, I really can't wait! I just hope me and my boyfriend can come to an agreement so I can do kindergarten as well. She is already starting out really well, she just gets bored easy so Starfall's program will help with the boring stuff like Phonics and Math later. It looks like it will help with reading easily (well phonics kinda has to do with reading lol) and the kids songs they have there were even making my almost 9 month old clap and dance (adorable!!).

Anyway, just wanted to share my excitement! Can't wait to see how tomorrow goes. :)

Replies

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    January 22, 2013 at 10:54 AM

fantastic star!!!!!

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    January 22, 2013 at 1:51 PM
    That's great.
  • Boobah
    by Boobah
    January 22, 2013 at 9:24 PM
    That sounds wonderful! Remember to take it easy, make it fun. In kinder mosr days should only be 1.5-2 hours at the most. Even first grade was 2.5-3 hours for us, and second is about 3 when we traditionally homeschooled. :)
  • stargazerwolf
    January 22, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. It only lasted so long because she was having fun on the Starfall website with their activities and such. She spent probably 2 or 3 hours on it today by herself but since its educational I'm ok with her doing games and such on the computer. I was suprised how much she could do by herself! :) We had another good day :)

• stargazerwolf
    January 23, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Another great day! Starfall is amazing! So I don't know how I didn't know this but we started going over some numbers today on Starfall.com and she knows numbers 0-13, she counts that high and she recognizes the numbers, I did notice yesterday that she was doing math games and by counting the objects below the numbers she did some addition. I can tell she is going to be good with numbers!

I'm so happy that she knows those already as it makes me even further along in my teaching plans! She also knows letters A, B, C, E, O, P, Q, V, W, X and Z already so we just need to go over sounds for those and have her learn the other letters. We are having wonderful progress already! We are using Starfall everyday and she can spend a couple hours playing their fun acitivies and educational games.

I had planned to do a letter a day and do numbers 0-5 then next week 6-10, but looks like things are different now in a good way. Now my focus is go go over letters every day, showing alphabet so she can first learn the whole alphabet, then we will really start sounds more. Since she already knows 0-13 we can actually start simple addition which she kind of already is figuring out :). I'm so excited! Tomorrow we are doing some science stuff which is what I've really been looking forward to! Anyway, felt like updating!

• kirbymom
    January 23, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Way to go!!!  See? You ARE capable of being her teacher and her being able to learn from you.  This just gets me excited!  lol :) 

• stargazerwolf
    January 23, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Yep, I sure can! I mean its only been 3 days of really trying to teach, but since I have typed out everything so I know what I want and need to teach it has made it easier. I also catch myself getting frustrated and so we take a break, then rather than give up like I have before, I start thinking of other ways to teach her. Like today we sung the alphabet as I pointed to the letters, also had her point to letters so I could tell her the letter, then we went through and I asked her to show me which letters she knew and what they were and on our alphabet poster we'd put a sticker above the letters she knows. Thanks for the encouragement!!!

• bether89
    January 26, 2013 at 12:33 AM

I am glad that things are going well for you.

• QueenCreole313
    January 26, 2013 at 7:31 AM

Congrats! Isn't it so exciting? I had my first day yesterday with my 4th grader. I'm removing him ASAP from school. We both loved it so much. I also got my letter from my state for approval!

Homeschooling Moms