Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
rsrangel
Do you homeschool for religious reason?
January 21, 2013 at 8:14 PM

I heard someone say that the only people who homeschool, are those doing it for religious reasons, which I don't think is true (though we do homeschool partly for this reason).  So how about a poll!

Do you homeschool for religious reasons?
  • Only group members can vote in this poll.
  1. 4% - Yes
  2. 53% - No
  3. 42% - Partly

Replies

• LilrockerMama
    January 21, 2013 at 8:16 PM
    I'm using a Christian based curriculum I think it's good to include spiritual studies with academics and schools discourage that so much. My son also needs a little more one on one time academically because he is ADHD and they just don't want to deal with him. There are other reasons but religion is a big part of it for us
  • AutymsMommy
    January 21, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Sure it's *a* reason we homeschool; we enjoy a faith integrated learning environment... but we could get *that* from any Catholic school. We homeschool mainly for academic reasons.

• Dawn07
    by Dawn07
    January 21, 2013 at 8:34 PM
    It's a reason but not my only one.
  • mamamedic69
    Religion is part of it but its more that the public schools don't share our values or morals. I feel that I was my kids first teacher and I'll be their last. At least until they go to college.
  • SusanTheWriter

No. I'm a Christian, DD is not. We're homeschooling for other reasons.

• QueenCreole313
    January 21, 2013 at 8:38 PM
    I've decided to homeschool first for academic reason and even political. I am Christian and plan to teach bible but I do that already. I figured we'd have more time to with homeschool. I think people stereotype all Christians as being right wing conservatives who are afraid to have their kids interact with anyone outside of the faith. This is simply untrue. I am a liberal progressive Christian who will eventually teach my son about all world religions and cultures but I believe my son needs to first know who he is before we so so.
  • Christine0813
    January 21, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Not at all.

• SalemWitchChild
    January 21, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Religion had no part in my choice. Bullying and poorly ranked B&M schools did.

• cjsmom1
    by cjsmom1
    January 21, 2013 at 9:05 PM
    I am not religious. I'm doing it for academic reasons
  • starbeck96
    January 21, 2013 at 9:07 PM
    Our religion is a big reason why we homeschool, but not the only reason. My boys went to ps through the 8th grade. Things were getting bad. Their particular grade was one of the worst, if not the worst i n the school system. Other boys were trying to start fights with my boys bc they are so athletic, but also bc they didn't cuss and cause trouble like most of the other kids. The boys came to us and asked if they could hs. We had already decided to hs our dd because of things that I saw while subbing at the elementary. Two different times, a boy had touched a girl's butt on purpose. I knew after that, that my daughter would be hs. My daughter is also very hyper and I felt that she could learn bettr one on one.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts