Homeschooling Moms

rsrangel
Do you homeschool for religious reason?
January 21, 2013 at 8:14 PM

I heard someone say that the only people who homeschool, are those doing it for religious reasons, which I don't think is true (though we do homeschool partly for this reason).  So how about a poll!

Do you homeschool for religious reasons?
  • Only group members can vote in this poll.
  1. 4% - Yes
  2. 53% - No
  3. 42% - Partly

Replies

• livanded
    January 23, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Not my reason at all. Like others several reasons, including ps in my town not being the best. The main factor is I think I am the best person for the job.

• jlbeck
    by jlbeck
    January 24, 2013 at 12:36 AM

one of our reasons, the other is that the ps system has completely tanked, I dont agree with what they are teaching and I dont like her being taught things that need to be taught at home (sex ed among others).  I dont like that her school district does not do a darn thing for vets day or flag day.  We are both veterans, but her daddy is still in the military.  So that is a BIG part of what we feel needs to be taught.  I understand in the public school setting but we are homeschooling for our own reasons.   religious and bullying, and not being watched my teachers, my  KGer came home with whiplash and no one new what happened but swore they had eyes on her the whole time.

• MessedUpMama
    January 24, 2013 at 3:56 AM

No. DS spent K-3 in PS, in a special education classroom. He had behavior issues toward the end of the year the first 3 years because he could only take so much pushing, bullying, and other meanness before he flipped out and would over react in return. We discovered that he probably always needed glasses about a year ago, so some of his educational issues were probably based on the fact that he couldn't really see. Last year he had a teacher that decided he was "bad" and couldn't deal with him. He got to the end of his rope with her and the rest of the class, because the rest of the class picked up on the fact that she didn't like him.  She also wasn't paying attention to requests that she watch him for signs of seizures, tiny ones that left him tired or easily upset. She didn't notice that almost every time he had one of those episodes he would hold his pencil and write with his right hand in a way that closely mimicked the way some left handed people hold their pencils when they write. Another sign that something was happening. Added to that the schools "No weapons" rules extended into everything, including not being able to talk about Star Wars because of the "Light Sabers" and "Blasters". Causing him to start everyday thinking about how he wasn't supposed to talk about weapons, which also led to him thinking about weapons almost all day.

So, we home-school in order to keep him away from all that. He's learning to deal with his frustrations without missing out on educational opportunities. He is less distracted because there are fewer things to distract him. I think, given enough time, he and I can get him caught up to grade level. He's about a year behind, partly because of not being able to see very well and partly because in the special education class they had to deal with many things other than academics. He had he idea that he couldn't do math, and that reading was too hard! He's actually very good at both now that his confidence is growing his reading and math abilities are growing as well.

Oh, religion? We discuss it if it comes up during the day, we have our regular religious stuff on week-ends. I'm also home schooling my little Day Care Girl (DCG) so I try to avoid too much religious subjects when she is here because it's not something I feel comfortable teaching a child that isn't my own.

• bluerooffarm
    January 24, 2013 at 6:50 AM
    I homeschool because our pd lacks the resources to challenge my oldest child, to give the one on one instruction needed by my middle child, and would likely push to medicate my rambunctious youngest child. I was appalled at the changes in the school system in the time I spent in the teaching profession and I knew I could not justify breaking my children's spirits the way I knew this new system would. I was watching it happen to my oldest and decided enough was enough.

Homeschooling Moms