Homeschooling Moms

Nhismage
Any 7th grade subject/curriculum Advise?
January 21, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Hi mommies, I was just wondering what kind of subjects all the 7th grade hs's are teaching and what your curriculums are like.  Also how many subjects are too many or too less to teach.  I'm still trying to get a format or should I say organized..lol I know I will eventually get the hang of this.  We are (DS & I) enjoying what were're doing so far and I am so glad I made the switch.  

He wanted to learn Japanese soooo we are both learning (so much fun). Any suggestions on a good book to read for a report or science projects (that's one of his favorite subs)

Replies

• AutymsMommy
    January 21, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Our 7th grade line up for next year will look like this:

Algebra 1 (Teaching Textbooks Algebra 1 *and* Jacob's Elementary Algebra)

Grammar (Hake Grammar and Writing)

Writing/Composition (Writing Tales 2)

Spelling (dd is dyslexic and spelling is a weak point; we'll be using Apples and Pears book C)

Art History (Calvert's A Child's History of Art: Painting)

Geography (Mapping the World with Art, by Ellen McHenry)

Word Study (Excavating English, by Ellen McHenry)

Science (Behold and See 7, by Catholic Heritage Curriculum *and* Cells, by Ellen McHenry)

World History (either Dorothy Mills Middle Ages with study guide by Memoria Press *or* K12's Human Odyssey volume 2)

French (First Start French 1, by Memoria Press)

American Sign Language (Landry Academy online course)

Literature (selections a la mom, lol)

A good book for a book report? If he enjoys dystopian books, The Giver is a fantastic book and appropriate for this age.

• SusanTheWriter
    January 21, 2013 at 2:52 PM

As long as you cover the basic 4 - English (grammar, literature and composition), Math, Science and History/Social Studies, you're pretty much good to go.

Add PE and Health, Art, Music, Foreign Language, Theatre, Sports, Debate, etc as needed!

The trick is in being more specific. Is Science a general, study what you want Science? Or is it Life, Earth or Physical Science? Is Literature a whatever you read counts class? Or will you pay specific attention to poetry, plays, short stories, novels, mythology, Shakespeare, American, British or World Lit?

That's all up to you and how you want to plan out his middle school years in preparation for high school.

• kirbymom
    January 21, 2013 at 2:56 PM

HI Nhisimage.  :)

Funny you should mention Science. I have 2 boys that are doing a research/report paper on Chemical Analysis and Electricity and if they can be used in conjunction with one another , and if so, how and why or why not.  

• AutymsMommy
    January 21, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

As long as you cover the basic 4 - English (grammar, literature and composition), Math, Science and History/Social Studies, you're pretty much good to go.

Add PE and Health, Art, Music, Foreign Language, Theatre, Sports, Debate, etc as needed!

The trick is in being more specific. Is Science a general, study what you want Science? Or is it Life, Earth or Physical Science? Is Literature a whatever you read counts class? Or will you pay specific attention to poetry, plays, short stories, novels, mythology, Shakespeare, American, British or World Lit?

That's all up to you and how you want to plan out his middle school years in preparation for high school.

Agreed. Highlighted is something that you need to think about at about this time - what classes/courses he will be covering in high school and what he needs to do in the meantime to make that possible. Life science would be a good middle school course before hitting high school biology, for example; a physical science course in middle school is a good idea before hitting high school physics and chemistry. Math also comes into play when deciding your courses for middle school - they will need to do algebra 1 either BEFORE, or in conjunction with, high school physics, as a general rule. Make sure spelling is solid before high school level composition classes.

• mem82
    by mem82
    January 21, 2013 at 5:49 PM

BUMP!!

• Nhismage
    January 22, 2013 at 5:02 PM
    Thanks so much mommies for all the great advise and tips... I truly appreciate you taking the time to reply. Can't wait to chat more :-D

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts