Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
QueenCreole313
How do you organize your school year?
January 21, 2013 at 9:51 AM

How do you organize your school year? I know you gals are probably sick of me and my questions but oh well. I'm feeling a bit OCD about this subject.  I want to know how you granite your school year. Do you use the public school calendar as a model for days off and vacations? Do you teach each subject daily? Do you use terms, block scheduling or semesters? Thanks!

Replies

• Dawn07
    by Dawn07
    January 21, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Well...lol. I am sorta following the public school calendar but if I see it's not going to work for us I change it. Example: We didn't take the same weeks off in December as the ps due to dad not being home. But it was the same number of days.

I have also changed our weekly schedule 3 times this year to make it work more for us. We started out doing every subject every day but we were quickly getting burnt out, so my mom suggested doing history and science every other day. I did that and also made Friday our light day. We may have tests and then do art, health, and homemaking skills and that's it. I just changed that to Monday though so I could get housework done. For some reason I just can't get housework done on Fridays.

• kirbymom
    January 21, 2013 at 10:56 AM

I follow the summers off schedule of the ps but that is all I follow. We will school on the weekend if the week isn't going along smoothly. We don't have hardly any holidays off.  But, we will take off a day or two, maybe even a week or on a rare occasion a month.  The kids are rarely sick so we don't have too many sick days off either. I write my own curriculum.  What we learn and when we learn it just depends on what I write out and how long it is determined to be learning .  lol  

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    January 21, 2013 at 11:31 AM

we homeschool year round. We do a lot of our nature studies in the summer. We follow their interests all year long.  We go through all the subjects every day in one way or another.  Sometimes our English is spent while learning about Science or Art.  We even have a Math book that teaches Math through reading.  My boys love it.  I use a mixture of curriculum.  I am currently working on my own 14 week class that I will teaching at co-op.  It is called geography through art and will cover history, math, science, art, and geography.  I love designing my own classes. 

• mem82
    by mem82
    January 21, 2013 at 11:33 AM

This.

Quoting jen2150:

we homeschool year round. We do a lot of our nature studies in the summer. We follow their interests all year long.  We go through all the subjects every day in one way or another.  Sometimes our English is spent while learning about Science or Art.  We even have a Math book that teaches Math through reading.  My boys love it.  I use a mixture of curriculum.  I am currently working on my own 14 week class that I will teaching at co-op.  It is called geography through art and will cover history, math, science, art, and geography.  I love designing my own classes. 

• JuicyRedTomato
    January 21, 2013 at 12:15 PM

We school year round. However, in the summer our schedule is a bit different. We typically have 4 day weeks instead of 5 and take little breaks here and there to fit in with our summer schedule.I consider summer a separate course similar to summer school and we focus on lessons that can be done outside and one or two core subjects that DS chooses. (This year will be reading and math).

The rest of the year is divided into quarters. We use a school binder and have a section for each week where his work gets submitted. Any projects that we do get photographed and added in a section for that quarter. As far as determining exact time for each unit, I adjust that based on how he is doing at any given time. I found the easiest approach for us to figure out the goals for the entire year then tackle one thing at a time. There are things that he picks up quicker than others, so I don't stick to an exact timed regiment, though we do maintain a fairly consistent plan as far as what gets done daily. Math, La/writing, reading get done every day. Wed-science. THur-Social studies. FRi-is quiz/craft/review day.

I also do "fun weeks" and unit studies. For example in December we have "craft week" which basically just means we conclude every lesson with a craft- every day. My kids really look forward to it. I also do "geography week" where we use a giant map and study a different location every day for a week. They get to pick the location and at the end of the week we go back and select out favorite place that we studied and do a poster on it.

My kids are 5 and 3 and they LOVE, LOVE, LOVE school. :)

Sorry for the long response! Ha!

• bluerooffarm
    January 21, 2013 at 12:22 PM
    I actually like to school a bit more in the summer because they usually sit in the kitchen during canning season. Also we like to do some school work in the garden, the barn, the woods, etc...it's just so nice to do chunks of science outside!
  • usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    January 21, 2013 at 12:53 PM

We unschool so learning is never scheduled for any amount of time. We do how ever schedule all vacations when PS is in session so we can enjoy our trips with out big crowds!

• mommathea
    January 21, 2013 at 12:59 PM

We do school from August till done w/ the main subjects like math and language. The first half of the year we focus on history and historical things, the second part of the year is devoted to science and nature studies. 

We try and get our daily book work done before noon, and group studies if not done before noon is rit after lunch with the rest of the day with play reading and quiet time, as well as some chores. 

We do not follow a calendar, many times we'll take days off here and there for a vacation, visiting, shopping, sickness ect.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN