Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
MamaDearie
Full Curriculum?
January 20, 2013 at 8:50 AM

Does anyone know of a full curriculum (that even includes math) and is not based on a strictly Christian worldview?

Replies

• AutymsMommy
    January 20, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Calvert

Oak Meadow

• Silverkitty
    January 20, 2013 at 9:54 AM

K12, Connections, Calvert, then there is the place I used for a few grades called curriculum services,  oakmeadow, um ... Timberdoodle you can piece together a curriculum ... There are a few warehouse places that have boxed curriculum but I don't know the names off the top of my head.

• swim-mom72
    January 20, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Timberdoodle actually has boxed curriculum for each grade level already put together for you. And if you do not like some of the choices they have placed in the box for your child, you may replace them with another item that Timberdoodle sells. For instance, with my 7th grader I changed out the Easy Grammar for Queens Language Lessons, I switched the science they had for Apologia AND added the notebooking journal, plus I changed Mystery of History 1 for Mystery of History 3.

I know of many secular homeschoolers that use Sonlight.

• placidic
    January 20, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Sorry, I read the post wrong and was giving strictly Christian based. ;)  Hope you find what you are looking for!

• MamaDearie
    January 20, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Oak Meadow looks interesting to me - especially for my 4 1/2 y/o DD (Ruby). But I am afraid it might not be challenging enough for my 9 y/9 DS (Keiler). Ru is very kinesthetic, tactile, and somewhat reluctant in approaching reading and writing. Kei has been in public school since pre-k and is now in the middle of 3rd (he has a January birthday). He is always way ahead of his peers and is always looking for more difficult material in all areas- particularly math and language arts (and this is part of why he is considering homeschooling).

I've discovered something called Evolution Homeschool. It seems fabulous- especially for Kei (but perhaps not for Ru). However it is brand new - as in the curriculum won't even be available to purchase until next month. Has anyone else looked into it? Something that unestablished makes me nervous. I really value hearing other's first-hand accounts and experiences with curricula.

Also- has anyone else used 2 different types of curricula with their children? How has that worked for you? I feel like part of the beauty of homeschooling is that we can tailor the curricula to the individual child's learning style and interest. I was just curious to see if anyone else out there has experience in actually doing this.

• AutymsMommy
    January 20, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Be weary with Evolution Homeschool. I'm on another forum and a couple of ladies are concerned that they may be using pirated (illegal copies) for their curriculum - it just looks like a mesh of many different, already published, materials (like Singapore Math).

Also, OM *really* picks up in fourth and fifth grade. While I wouldn't call the math challenging, I *would* say that everything else is pretty intensive after fourth grade.

By default I will have two children using vastly different curricula next year - I will have one in junior high (grade 7) and one in kindergarten. I imagine it's going to be... challenging. Lol. Good luck!

Quoting MamaDearie:

Oak Meadow looks interesting to me - especially for my 4 1/2 y/o DD (Ruby). But I am afraid it might not be challenging enough for my 9 y/9 DS (Keiler). Ru is very kinesthetic, tactile, and somewhat reluctant in approaching reading and writing. Kei has been in public school since pre-k and is now in the middle of 3rd (he has a January birthday). He is always way ahead of his peers and is always looking for more difficult material in all areas- particularly math and language arts (and this is part of why he is considering homeschooling).

I've discovered something called Evolution Homeschool. It seems fabulous- especially for Kei (but perhaps not for Ru). However it is brand new - as in the curriculum won't even be available to purchase until next month. Has anyone else looked into it? Something that unestablished makes me nervous. I really value hearing other's first-hand accounts and experiences with curricula.

Also- has anyone else used 2 different types of curricula with their children? How has that worked for you? I feel like part of the beauty of homeschooling is that we can tailor the curricula to the individual child's learning style and interest. I was just curious to see if anyone else out there has experience in actually doing this.

• MamaDearie
    January 20, 2013 at 4:47 PM

That's really interesting. I hadn't considered that their copies may be pirated. I know of other curricula sites (like MBTP) that sell a math program (Right Start) on their site in addition to their other stuff so I thought the inclusion of Singapore at Evolution's site was similar. Hmph. And there really is no good way to check this all out.

As to OM- that's the thing- I thought the rest of their curriculum looked fantastic for both kids at a certain point but math. Kei is bored at public school with the math and, in third grade, he has already finished most of what OM has in their 4th grade curriculum! Maybe I could start him at fifth as I think he could certainly do the work expected in all other subjects as well.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Be weary with Evolution Homeschool. I'm on another forum and a couple of ladies are concerned that they may be using pirated (illegal copies) for their curriculum - it just looks like a mesh of many different, already published, materials (like Singapore Math).

Also, OM *really* picks up in fourth and fifth grade. While I wouldn't call the math challenging, I *would* say that everything else is pretty intensive after fourth grade.

By default I will have two children using vastly different curricula next year - I will have one in junior high (grade 7) and one in kindergarten. I imagine it's going to be... challenging. Lol. Good luck!

Quoting MamaDearie:

• MamaDearie
    January 20, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Just wanted to say thanks to all of you for your insights. I really do appreciate it!

thank you

• AutymsMommy
    January 20, 2013 at 4:50 PM

I've heard that fifth grade is really fun!

Also, keep in mind that, it would be fairly easy to use all OM *except* for math. Math, in most programs, is "do the next thing" - no real planning required. I don't know anyone who uses OM math (everyone uses something else for math).

Quoting MamaDearie:

That's really interesting. I hadn't considered that their copies may be pirated. I know of other curricula sites (like MBTP) that sell a math program (Right Start) on their site in addition to their other stuff so I thought the inclusion of Singapore at Evolution's site was similar. Hmph. And there really is no good way to check this all out.

As to OM- that's the thing- I thought the rest of their curriculum looked fantastic for both kids at a certain point but math. Kei is bored at public school with the math and, in third grade, he has already finished most of what OM has in their 4th grade curriculum! Maybe I could start him at fifth as I think he could certainly do the work expected in all other subjects as well.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting MamaDearie:

• darnette
    January 20, 2013 at 5:17 PM
    Little Lincoln and Calvert

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts