Homeschooling Moms

KrissyKC
Question about baby nutrition (off topic of HSing of course)
January 18, 2013 at 2:50 PM

I have never made it this long nursing exclusively the other kids.   By the time they were this age (7 months).. I had them on a set x number of ounces of formula, set meals, snacks, etc...

But I'm doing things different with this baby.   I envisioned him actually nursing PAST 12 months... but not past 18, I don't think...

Anyway, he acts like he's weaning himself.   This baby LOVES to eat food.   I make his food, I don't buy it.   That's another thing that's different, I bought the others baby food.  The only thing I buy for him is rice cereal and arrowroot cookies... 

So anyway, he's been small since birth in the 5th percentile the entire time.   Should I be worried that he nurses mornings, night, and about 3 times during the day that I can't get him to last longer than about 7-8 minutes...or is he getting enough?

He gets constipated, and I give him some water/juice and it takes care of it because I tried for a while nursing but that's NOT what he wants.

(((I've always been the nurse on demand type, but what do you do when they stop demanding?))

also, this boy would eat the entire avacado if I allowed him to, but I reserve back at least a third of it to mix with pears or something later.

Replies

• MommaTasha1003
    January 18, 2013 at 2:55 PM

I would try posting in a Breastfeeding group or Natural Birth & Parenting..

I bet both groups could give great advice.. Ive breastfed DD for 20mo.. My DS is 8mo & is just now started to attempt foods. So Im no help.

• Clh1989
    by Clh1989
    January 18, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Are you nursing before solids? My daughter got constipated occasionally until last month. Now she eats a ton of solids without issues, I think she just needed to adjust. She's 10 months now. 

• AutymsMommy
    January 18, 2013 at 3:33 PM

I have a 7 month old as well. I nursed my other son until almost 3. I know constipation well, but it didn't star with my older son until after age 2 and by that time he could have a small dose of laxative. All of my children are small.

Let's address your concern about weight first. So long as they are eating, wetting, having dirty diapers, and GROWING, on some level, don't worry about that percentile chart. My 3 year old isn't even ON the chart, to this day. My 11 year old daughter is in the 15th percentile. My infant (7 months) is in about the 15th percentile. All are healthy but the middle son.

Have him nurse BEFORE giving him food - that way you know he's getting plenty of breastmilk. Also, in his own way, he will learn to associate food with breastmilk, so he has an incentive to nurse if he's on a "nursing strike" (common at this age, ask me how I know *sigh*). My son does the same thing.

The constipation. For grins and giggles, would you be willing to have him go without the cereal for a while? I believe most baby cereal is iron fortified. Too much iron, depending on the rest of his diet, can cause constipation.

• Boobah
    by Boobah
    January 19, 2013 at 9:36 PM
    Kayla is 7 months and exclusively breastfed. She nurses 8-10 times a day. I have been considering adding some veggies,but I will nurse first, then offer food. At 7 months it is definitely too early to wean, I would just start offering more, especially before meals. Bm gives them more of the calories they need than food will.

Homeschooling Moms