Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Pukalani79
Mid year change, need your help - early US History
January 18, 2013 at 12:44 PM

We've been using Oak Meadow which for my 5th grader is awesome.  Up til now it's been great for my 3rd grader as well.  But now for the next month, maybe more her primary work has to do with making maps of ancient travels.  One, maybe two, okay. More than that is boring to me.  She has no interest whatsoever.  So, we need a change up.  Her brother is studying colonial America and is leading up to the Revolutionary War.  I'm thinking about doing over the material with both of them, then assigning age appropriate work for both History and Language.  Do you have any suggestions for sites where I can find ideas on how to do this? My younger two are 2nd and 3rd.  Thanks!

Replies

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    January 18, 2013 at 1:53 PM

well you could go to library and get some books for that age , think up some projects like buying those little green army guys and letting them plot the war together

maybe some ideas here http://www.guesthollow.com/homeschool/history/americanpdf.html

what i do is get books from library or buy books and then think up ideas for all the ages i teach for projects, make up worksheets, look for crafts,  all age appropriate,

http://americanhistory.mrdonn.org/index.html

• KrissyKC
    January 18, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Wasn't there a series on PBS about kids in early america... I forget the name of it, but if you could find it at the library, that would be a fun series to add to it while you do more advanced stuff with your older kids... they could watch the show for 30 minutes.

I always just have my littles journal about it or try their hand at colonial games or crafts while I work with the older ones.   Or I go to the library each week and create them a book box that they can sit and read about either independently or together.   They actually take a lot away from the experience.

• BramblePatch
    January 18, 2013 at 3:36 PM
    Are you thinking of Liberty Kids?

Quoting KrissyKC:

Wasn't there a series on PBS about kids in early america... I forget the name of it, but if you could find it at the library, that would be a fun series to add to it while you do more advanced stuff with your older kids... they could watch the show for 30 minutes.

I always just have my littles journal about it or try their hand at colonial games or crafts while I work with the older ones.   Or I go to the library each week and create them a book box that they can sit and read about either independently or together.   They actually take a lot away from the experience.

• Jlee4249
    January 19, 2013 at 10:55 AM
    Do you read a lot together? The My America series have been helpful with young kids. There's one for the Revolutionary War, and pretty much everything else in early America.

Just out of curiousity, why can't you skip the maps and move onto the next lesson?
  • Pukalani79
    January 19, 2013 at 12:28 PM

I will look for that series, thank you.  Honestly I saw week after week after week, etc of maps and I got frustrated and wasn't thinking.  I could skip ahead, but the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of having everyone do the same general lesson with different levels of assignments.  We do that for science and it works really well.

Quoting Jlee4249:

Do you read a lot together? The My America series have been helpful with young kids. There's one for the Revolutionary War, and pretty much everything else in early America.

Just out of curiousity, why can't you skip the maps and move onto the next lesson?

• kirbymom
    January 19, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Hi Pukalani. Here is something you might find useful for what you are looking for.....

History Pockets: Native Americans, Grades 1-3 [Paperback]

Evan-Moor Educational Publishers (Author)

List Price:$15.99
    Price:$10.87 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25. Details
    You Save:$5.12 (32%)
    In Stock.
    Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.
    Want it Tuesday, Jan. 22? Order within 51 hrs 31 mins, and choose One-Day Shipping at checkout. Details 
    25 new from $9.58 17 used from $6.99

Formats

Amazon PriceNew fromUsed from
    Paperback$10.87 
    Unknown Binding-- 
    Valentine's Day in Children's Books
    Valentine's Day for Young Readers
    This Valentine's Day, snuggle up with little cupids and enjoy warm and fuzzy tales to get in the spirit. From adorable board books to heart-warming picture books and more, browse print editions and Kindle books in our Valentine's Day store.

Book Description

January 1, 2003 8 and up3 and up
    History Pockets-Native Americans, Grades 1-3, contains nine memorable discovery pockets. The introduction pocket gives an overview of the tribes in North America that are featured. The other pockets focus on food, clothing, shelter, and family life of eight Native American tribes. Each of the pockets contains: * a reproducible pocket label * three dictionary words and pictures, plus a shelter stamp * a fact sheet of background information for the teacher * a reproducible students information booklet complete with illustrations * arts and crafts projects * writing activities Evaluation forms are provided at the end of the book to give students a chance to reflect on all they have learned. The book includes the following pockets: * Introduction to Native Americans * The Inuit of the Arctic * The Tlingit of the Northwest * The Nez Perce of the Plateau * The Maidu of California * The Sioux of the Plains * The Navajo of the Southwest * The Iroquois of the Northeast * The Seminole of the Southeast

Special Offers and Product Promotions

• Giving this item as a gift? If Amazon.com is the seller, we can wrap it for you for the special price of $2.99. Just choose the gift-wrap option when available at checkout, and let Amazon.com help make your gift-giving hassle-free.

• kirbymom
    January 19, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Here is another link you might want to check out......

http://www.kbteachers.com/social-studies/

It also has some science lessons as well. :) 

• Pukalani79
    January 20, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Thank you!

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN