Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
mem82
Do you think homeschoolers should get a tax credit or tax break?
by mem82
January 16, 2013 at 4:32 PM

We do pay school taxes that most of us don't use.

Then again, good schools make for good property prices.

I would like to be able to maybe get a tax credit for supplies. Even if it was just limited to actual *school* supplies and curriculum.

I see the pros and cons to but sides of the debate. Where do you stand?

Replies

• kirbymom
    January 16, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Oh my. I have never really thought about it before now.  I would have to sit and ponder this first before I can make  any kind of an opinion. But that is a good question mem. :)  

UPDATE:

After having thought about this question, I decided that yes, I think home schoolers should get a tak break of some kind but I also realized that the question wasn't about how or what to do, to get the tax credit. It was just "Do you believe we should get credit".

So my answer then based on the last staement I made is...Yes, I believe we should get some kind of tax credit. 

But like usmom stated..if they were offering a tax credit, would it be worth it?  My answer to that is NO. Anything from the government should be and will be suspect. imho

• JuicyRedTomato
    January 16, 2013 at 4:35 PM

I think we should get some type of compensation. I feel as though at least a portion of the money we are paying out in taxes should be redirected towards our own children's education.

• Jinx-Troublex3
    January 16, 2013 at 4:47 PM

We use a Charter school - so I get mine back :)

• katinahat
    January 16, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Honestly, I haven't thought about it before. At first impression, I would say yes, a tax credit would make sense.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    January 16, 2013 at 5:23 PM

I know our government & you can bet your A@@ they would have all kinds of stipulations & requirements to get that money & then you would be restricted in where & how the money was used (think Cafeteria plane AKA Benny cards here). Even if you are in the camp of "testing & reporting is good because it keeps you honest" it wouldn't stop there it would get more & more restricting to the point where it would just be easier to put kids in PS (which is what the government wants any ways so that they can control the information learned by the masses)

Not that I have an opinion or have put a lot of thought in to this or anything LOL.

• KickButtMama
    January 16, 2013 at 5:25 PM

I think we should get the same tax credits/breaks as any private school would

• Dawn07
    by Dawn07
    January 16, 2013 at 5:46 PM

I would like to get a tax break for books and supplies. My aunt gets a tax break for school supplies for her public schooled daughter, so why can't I? Now that being said you would know the goverment would be all up in the middle of it and trying to control it.

I was told that in our state you can turn your school reciepts in and get some of that back. I haven't done it and havent seen another homeschool family do it to know if it's true. Guess I'll find out soon.

• SusanTheWriter
    January 16, 2013 at 5:48 PM

I guess it depends on how difficult they make it to try to claim the tax break. If it comes with lots of stipulations, I'm not sure if it would be worth the hassle. If not, then I think I'd like to see a credit of some kind since we're not putting our full burden on the system.

• wunderwifey
    January 16, 2013 at 6:07 PM

why would PS families get tax credit and HS families not???? We have claimed both my educational expenses and the kids'.

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    January 16, 2013 at 7:08 PM

i stand against paying for public schools(property taxes) if ya dont have a child using it,

and i'd take the tax break or cut but it all depends on what i have to do to get it!

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN