Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
krisiehb
How Many hours a day do you homeschool?
December 1, 2012 at 2:27 PM

I have 5 children ages, 17, 15, 12, 9 and 7.  I homeschool my 9 year old.  I pulled him out of school the beggining of this year.  He is in second grade and has adhd with odd.  He is doing very well being homeschooled but how long should I be "schooling" him.  Right now I start teaching him at 9 and by 12:30 he is so antsy and tired of doing any kind of work even computer games he gets argumentative and antsy.  Should I try pushing him for longer days or be glad I can at least get him to focus for 3-4 hours a day?   The entire time he is doing his work he is moving and lying in floor wich I don't mind because it is just how he is, but after about 3-4 hours of "school" he is done and wants to be left alone.

Replies

• donnadea
    December 1, 2012 at 2:38 PM

I don't do school for a certain amount of time... I plan a certain amount of work for them to get done and try to do a couple of fun things thru the week also.

Basically they are done when they finish the work for the day. 

some times that takes them 2 hours, sometimes as much as 5 hours just depends on how focused they are etc.

they know there is no video games, going out to play etc. till schoolwork is done so average time is 3 1/2 hours for them to finish.

• kirbymom
    December 1, 2012 at 2:50 PM

I think that you should do what you are doing. If he is focused for that amount of work, and can get it done and continue progressively learning new topics and information then he is doing just fine. You could always come back and do something eles later in the day if both of you are willing. You don't have to follow any type of schedule at all. You are in charge. Not anything or anyone else. If you want to do school at night because he learns better that way, then do it.  You do what best suits your and your family.  :) 

• mem82
    by mem82
    December 1, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Remember, at a regular school all that time is built in because it's moving 30 children around. 30 kids get off bus and get their coats off (15 minutes). 30 kids sit down and have attendance and morning announcements(10 minutes). 30 kids take our their books. Teacher talks for 20 minutes, kids do 5 problems for 30 minutes while teacher shushes them. 30 kids take a bathroom break (10 minutes) 30 kids walk down a hall for gym (5 minutes) listen to gym teacher talk about and demonstrate game (7 minutes), kids walk back to class and get a drink of water (7 minutes).

All that time is wasted. With homeschooling it's more, Mom talks about Math for 5 minutes, son does practice problems with mom and then tries on his own for 25 minutes. Goes to the potty (5 minutes)comes back and practices reading (15 minutes) Does grammar worksheet (15 minutes) takes a break (25) History and Science 1 hour, maybe an hour and a half if you have a lab. It's much more efficient so 3 or 4 hours is quite a bit of time in the homeschooling realm. 8)

• bluerooffarm
    December 1, 2012 at 3:03 PM

If you don't think he's getting enough school time, maybe you could consider changing the time of day that you "do" school.  My middle boy (5) does well in the morning, but my oldest (7) gets more out of the afternoon and my youngest (almost 4) will give me more attention in the early evening.  However, as long as he's moving forward, I would say that you are doing just fine.

• SalemWitchChild
    December 1, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Gernally we start the lessons about 10am. We break at 12 for lunch (1hr). Then it's more work till around 2. 10 minute break then. Sometimes if we've done a lot that day I'll give 20 minutes.

Then we work until 4pm. So in all about 4 or 5 hrs of work also. When I impute her attendance into K12 it usually comes out to 5 hrs. But she doesn't always use the time they suggest for each lesson, or sometimes she'll need a little bit longer than suggested. So it all works out in the end.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    December 1, 2012 at 5:45 PM

We unschool so we don't have set times for learning it happens as naturally as breathing around here & about as often too.

• KrissyKC
    December 1, 2012 at 7:08 PM
    what are your state laws? Some people only school the hard core stuff for 1-2 hours a day... then they do some hands on or fun stuff otherwise. In our state, we have to complete 1000 hours in a year. We are pretty relaxed at the moment, and sorta are doing "school at home" and sorta doing unschooling. The kids respond to both approaches at different times. However, we are actually harder academically at times than the state is, too. There are days we work 2-3 hours and are done.... there are days that when I add everything countable up (including swimming, watching a cooking show, etc..) they get in up to 10 hours a day... but of course that is not all book work and writing! Some is cooking, free reading, art, music, practice for their clubs and things they are in, swimming, biking, etc... sometimes it IS the clubs or events they go to.
  • lucsch
    by lucsch
    December 1, 2012 at 10:48 PM

My 9yo dd is in 4th grade, so I am sure she has more to do; but typically our days last 5 hours. I don't do a certain amount of time, though. She has specific subjects and assignments for each day. Some days turn out longer than other days. When "we" were in 2nd grade, we schooled about 3-4 hours per day.

• lifesadream83
    December 1, 2012 at 11:23 PM

NORMALLY we do school from 830/9ish until 1130 take an hour and a half lunch, run,jump bounce, play break and come back and finish up from 1-4/5 depending on dd.  She goes until 5 on days that there is Art or a science or history project she really gets into.  We have had good days where we finish at like 2 and I have time for me... I love those days!  but our days last about 5-6 hours depending on her... we stop when she needs to. (I determine this though not her.)  Anything not done we just do slowly over the weekend.  Usually I try to get all of her work done during the week that IF we have anything to do on the weekend it is me reading to her or art which she loves.  We school M-Th though... So Friday after playgroup we usually finish up left over work.  

40 weeks preggo right now though so I sleep til about 10 cause I am up all night being used as a gym.  So she gets up and has the morning to shower, dress and play and then we have been doing school from 1-6pm eating dinner and then having a bit more playtime.  Normally she goes to bed at 8 but since I have been in this weird routine I let her stay up til 830 so she has 2 hours to play before bed.   

I would try doing 2 or 3 two hour blocks though with a substanial break in the middle. 

• AutymsMommy
    December 1, 2012 at 11:37 PM

My 11 year old works for about 4 hours a day.

A good rule of thumb is an hour for each grade "level". A second grader is FINE with 2 hours; a third grader with 3 and so on. The leap is made once a child hits middle school - by that point a child is often doing a solid 7 hours a day. Next year dd will carry a full, rigorous, courseload and will be working for every bit of 6 or 7 hours. If your second grader is getting done what needs to be done, two hours is absolutely fine. No need to push for more time just for the sake of hours.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN