Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
kirbymom
Good Afternoon Everyone! Let's Talk.....
November 30, 2012 at 12:24 PM

I would love to know how everyone's week has gone.  I would also like to be able to offer you some positive support if you feel in need of some. There are days where I know that I feel like I need some encouragement myself. At least enough so that I have some hairs left in my head. lol 

Just wondering if anyone else feels the same way?  :)

Replies

• irvinehiker
    November 30, 2012 at 1:42 PM

I always feel that I need some encouragement!  This week has gone ok.  Nothing too bad.  I have come to the realization that I just may be an "unschooler."  I bought a boxed curriculum at the beginning of the year and the curriculum is ok, I just feel tied down to it and that I can't let my kids explore their interests as much anymore.  I bought the currc so I would feel like we had some kind of structure and probaly b/c too many people tell me I'm doing the wrong thing when I write my own.  I think I can provide my kids with a quality education without a boxed set.  I have too many people putting their noses into how I teach my kids. :(

• kirbymom
    November 30, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Oh Yes! I hear  ya'! I battled that alot when we first started homeschooling. It didn't stop for me until my oldest was about 10 or 11 and she proved just how smart she is and that obviously I was teaching her something right. lol  Then my other kids have done the same thing as they each got to a certain age. Now everyone is looking at my younger kids and watching them like a hawk.  Its like we are under a microscope or something. The only difference from then and now is, I am not going to put up with being treated like I am not smart and or capable of educating my kids better than anyone else or the public schools and their teachers with their, most of the time, un-necessary, degree's.  Just am not going to stand for it anymore. I am smart and I am capable. Just look at my kids. That alone will show that I am perfectly qualified to educate them. Even better than. lol  Okay, rant over. :)  

You can write your own curriculum and keep the kids' work as a testament to yourself to show that what you do and how you do it, are working.  That is what I have done throughout the years myself.  I write my own almost every single day and my kids have learned to write their own that meets and exceeds our standards as well.  I think that if I can do it that way, you would be able to as well.  Its not half as bad as you think when you first start out doing it. Its just scary because now you are wholly responsible for everything going in your kids' heads.  Once you deal with that fear, all else is just a small bump in the road and can be dealt with.  :)  

Quoting irvinehiker:

I always feel that I need some encouragement!  This week has gone ok.  Nothing too bad.  I have come to the realization that I just may be an "unschooler."  I bought a boxed curriculum at the beginning of the year and the curriculum is ok, I just feel tied down to it and that I can't let my kids explore their interests as much anymore.  I bought the currc so I would feel like we had some kind of structure and probaly b/c too many people tell me I'm doing the wrong thing when I write my own.  I think I can provide my kids with a quality education without a boxed set.  I have too many people putting their noses into how I teach my kids. :(

• KickButtMama
    November 30, 2012 at 2:06 PM

I think we've all had days where we wanted to pull out our hair!

• irvinehiker
    November 30, 2012 at 2:15 PM

I have not pulled my hair out...yet, but it sure is getting gray:).  I hit the hair color aisle at walmart every 6 weeks.  LOL!

Quoting KickButtMama:

• kirbymom
    November 30, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Surprisingly, my hair has very little gray hair at my age.  Although, most of my family had already started having gray hair much earlier than myself. :)  And, I am probably the most spirited of them all too. LOL!!  :)

Quoting irvinehiker:

I have not pulled my hair out...yet, but it sure is getting gray:).  I hit the hair color aisle at walmart every 6 weeks.  LOL!

Quoting KickButtMama:

• swim-mom72
    November 30, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Not sure I could ever have too much encouragement or positivity around me : )

Our week has been off, since my youngest and I are trying to get through a bout of the flu. And they are both off today since my oldest has a 3 day swim meet. Soooo, I am hopeing that next week will be a little more routine or one where I get a bit more accomplished.

Experince has def taught me that there are good days and bad, as well as good weeks and bad ones. This too shall pass.

• coala
    by coala
    November 30, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Our week went OK.  I have a child that feels the need to be a perfetionist.  We don't expect it from her nor have ever said anything like that to her.  So, anything less than a 100% on a test is devastating even if it is still an A.  My youngst has finally figured out how to use a pair of scissors in the last month.  She has found EVERY cut and glue activity that she can get her hands on and has had herself a good ol'time.  We have gone through almost a whole bottle of glue in the last month.  LOL  Our DVD's for our curric for our youngest arrived yesterday.  She is so excited that she is gong to start K in just over a month.  We have a countdown chain until we start.

For anyone who didn't have such a great week I send you all a great big HUG!!!!

• kirbymom
    November 30, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Aww ~ I hope that both you and your youngest get to feeling better and you get to where you want to be when you need to.  Hopefully you will be able to get just the right amount of sleep and rest so that that can happen.  

Quoting swim-mom72:

Not sure I could ever have too much encouragement or positivity around me : )

Our week has been off, since my youngest and I are trying to get through a bout of the flu. And they are both off today since my oldest has a 3 day swim meet. Soooo, I am hopeing that next week will be a little more routine or one where I get a bit more accomplished.

Experince has def taught me that there are good days and bad, as well as good weeks and bad ones. This too shall pass.

This is so true too. That has been one of those phrases I keep close and tell myself when I feel that I am at my wits end and can't figure out how to get the answers I'm looking for.  

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    November 30, 2012 at 3:23 PM

yes all the encouragement we can get!!

i have bad days(or what i call bad days) and good days, thats my life! there always seems to be something to learn on those bad days, so i guess they really are good days ! sure dont seem like it when your in the middle of it though

gray hair- i have lots!! everyone is always telling me to cover it up! i hate doing that, but if i didnt i'd look like my dhs mother! (hes blonde still and not turning any other color yet!) just think if we were all bald we could just put on a wig of whatever color we wanted that day! save lots of money!ahhahaha

swimmom - sure hope you all get feelin better, chase that old flu out of your house.

andrea- hey go with your gut! be a unschooler, even a part time one is ok!hahaha, you can use the curr for resources, instead of doing eveeryday, and you'd still be using it!

• kirbymom
    November 30, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Aww ~  That must be very frustrating for you.  Its crazy when you know they have done such a remarkable job and there they are all bummed out as if they did a terrible job and you are left wondering how to help them understand that they did a better job than they are giving themselves credit for.  Ahhh yes, perfectionism at work.  I wonder, do you ever grade their schoolwork?  

Quoting coala:

Our week went OK.  I have a child that feels the need to be a perfetionist.  We don't expect it from her nor have ever said anything like that to her.  So, anything less than a 100% on a test is devastating even if it is still an A.  My youngst has finally figured out how to use a pair of scissors in the last month.  She has found EVERY cut and glue activity that she can get her hands on and has had herself a good ol'time.  We have gone through almost a whole bottle of glue in the last month.  LOL  Our DVD's for our curric for our youngest arrived yesterday.  She is so excited that she is gong to start K in just over a month.  We have a countdown chain until we start.

For anyone who didn't have such a great week I send you all a great big HUG!!!!

You are such a dear. Hugs back. :)  

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts