Homeschooling Moms

BramblePatch
If you live in a HS Friendly State....
November 18, 2012 at 10:55 AM
I am in Idaho where no reporting is required. If you are in an "easy" state, do you still track days and field trips and such "just in case"

Replies

• Sonata8
    by Sonata8
    November 18, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Yes. In my state all you have to do is tell the board of education that you are homeschooling at the beginning of the school year and then report hours at the end, nothing specific, just general hours. 

• KickButtMama
    November 18, 2012 at 11:27 AM

I keep track just for myself -- so when I'm planning the next year I have some idea of what we did in the previous one. But our state requires nothing as well. 

• jsbuck
    by jsbuck
    November 18, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Ours requires nothing, but yes, I do keep track of what we do, just in case.

• cajunniki90
    November 18, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Yes!  I keep track of the amount of days...just to be safe!

• AutymsMommy
    November 18, 2012 at 12:15 PM

We live in a pretty easy state (SC). We are supposed to track days and that's pretty much all we're supposed to track (we aren't required, as homeschoolers, to test)... well, days and grades. Because we take homeschooling year by year, we do keep track of those things (rather, at the end of the year I track them and go through her papers to establish grades) *just in case* she goes back to school one year (they always ask for those things).

• chotovec82
    November 18, 2012 at 12:15 PM

I live in Indiana.  Here you are only required to have your kids in "school" 180 days. I have heard that no one ever checks up on this. However, I have an attendence book that I put in their attendence and it also has a list of their classes and I write down what they did that day.  I would rather be safe than sorry. JMO

• AllofFive19
    November 18, 2012 at 12:55 PM

In Nebraska, you just have to submit a scope and sequence and tell how many hours a month you homeschool. They don't require testing, but I tested my eldest at the end of last year and will be testing both my boys this year. My daughter won't be tested until the third grade (when I start testing).

• kirbymom
    November 18, 2012 at 2:18 PM

I keep track of everything I use and all websites I use plus any books. I also keep most of their work. I don't do this for the officials as much as I do it because I love proving that what I do is above and beyond  anything  and everything  they could ever do and I work with less equipment and less financing. And the reasons why, are because I LOVE my kids more than anyone else ever could and I care about their well being their whole entire lives. Who else is going to feel these deep emotions and make the self scacrifices that I do and will do?  Will they? humph!  I also love to show that they are entirely wrong in their perceptions of homeschoolers and their way of homeschooling.  All the many different ways. :) 

• BridgetV
    November 18, 2012 at 2:26 PM

I'm in NJ, another no reporting state, and I keep a record of days and what we've done.  I like that sort of stuff, though and it makes me happy to be able to go back and look at what he's learned.  :)

• mem82
    by mem82
    November 18, 2012 at 2:26 PM

I feel Ohio is pretty easy, honestly.

Homeschooling Moms