Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
KrissyKC
Minimalism anyone?
October 25, 2012 at 12:58 PM

I'm not talking about the artform either.   I'm talking about living a minimalist lifestyle.

As one-income homes, we all live SOME form of minimalism.   Our income and, therefore, our budgets are smaller.

However, I'm curious, are you a minimalist by choice or by necessity?   Do you find yourself accepting every bag of unwanted items that people send your way out of nicities, or is that like Christmas to you?   Do you LOVE pouring over the "treasures" that you might find among someone's trash?  

Maybe you earn plenty of extra cash, but just hate having too much stuff, so you live a minimalist lifestyle on a kings budget?  (wish we all could do that!)

Are you sometimes bothered by not being able to provide some things you'd like to for your kids?   When the two income household next door has a swimming pool, video games galore, four wheelers, trampolines, etc...  do you wish you lived somewhere else???

Replies

• Jinx-Troublex3
    October 25, 2012 at 1:04 PM

I wouldn't say we are minimalists ...but I'm definitely more frugal than some and limit the unnecessary.

I would definitely like some of the "extras" sometimes. Two of my kids are into gymnastics right now and I'd love to get them a trampoline but it's not in the budget. I may look on eBay for Christmas.... Would i love to have a horse, or a boat?. sure... it's just not going to happen with our situation right now and I wouldn't give up the way we live to have one so ... Eh..whateer..LOL

I do accept hand-me downs, the kids think it's fun  I do admit we are kinda picky about what we keep but I donate anything we don't like/want either on Freecycle or to Salvation Army.

I try not to trash anything useful but pass it on.

I do want to get reuseable sandwich bags, or have my Mom make us some so I don't keep going through baggies. That's a big waste IMO.

• KrissyKC
    October 25, 2012 at 1:05 PM

I'll share seperately from my original post about us...

Yes, we do sometimes get bothered by not having some things for our kids and would sometimes like to get away fom neighbors (or society) that just has so much STUFF!!!

No, I don't normally regret it, though, because I hate excess stuff.   Reminds me of that veggie tales song, "Stuff Mart." 

We could splurge on some things, but most of our minimalism comes from necessity.  However, even if we were rich, I can't stand stuff over space.  I'd like to spend my money on stuff to do or on helping others if I were wealthier.

I can't STAND getting too many hand me downs.   Clothes can be ok, if it fits and isn't given to me in a trashy way.  (stinky bag, wrinkled, just all around icky)...    But don't go out and pick me up a piece of furniture (especially free stuff or out of the trash) because you think my house needs one.   I am happy with my floor space where the kids can run around and play!!

• KrissyKC
    October 25, 2012 at 1:07 PM

*interest peaked*   Re-usable sandich baggies???  hmmmm...

I'm gonna have to google that. 

• coala
    by coala
    October 25, 2012 at 1:14 PM

We are minimalist in some areas.  We don't over do it with extra curriculars.  We try to do things on the "cheap" or as inexpensive as possible.  We LOVE hand-me down clothes.  That means that we have saved some money.  My girls wear a ton of them.  We are looking into buying a used set of artistic skates (new ones are upwards of $700 for the boot alone).  I have girls that want to do artistic skating and I have to find a way to make it happen w/o breaking the bank and having to buy new skates once a year.  We are frugal and minimalistic by choice.  You don't need a ton of things to fill your home or to blow your money.  It is nice to be able to save it and spend it or donate it if you choose.  I prefer the donation side myself.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    October 25, 2012 at 1:48 PM

I don't think we are even though we live on one income it is a middle class income & we live within our means.

I do wish we had a disposable income so I wouldn't care if I spent a ton of money on a sport or class my kids ended up hating. But we don't & so I am very picky about where I put that extra money to make sure it is well spent.

• bluerooffarm
    October 25, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Good question!

I would say we are minimalist by choice.  Hubby is an electrical engineer so when he has a job we make very good money.  We have a very small house (less than 1500 sq ft for our family of 5) with 2 VERY small bedrooms.  When we were building it I was told we would never be able to sell it because it is so small.  Friends told us we could afford a bigger house (yeah, with a bigger mortgage :-P) but I kept saying: then I'd have to clean it! 

We have no cell phone, no kindle, and for a long time we had no computer!  I hear all the time how we would be better off with all that stuff, but then we'd never have peace!  When we come home from biking or shopping or whatever there is almost always a message or 2 on the machine, if we had a cell phone I know we would be as addicted as all the others we see talking on it instead of to the person they are with.  I'm so glad not to have that distraction.

We put our extra money on our mortgage, so in another 6 years, we should be debt free (God willing).  That means a whole lot more to us than other material goods.  It means that hubby can stop working long stressful hours and we can live off our land like we've always wanted! 

We used nondisposable diapers, we use nope-kins, unpaper-towels, reusable sandwich bags, nondisposable pads, and all those other things that make people qo all squidgy when we mention them.

We pieced together our solar power system and now produce all our own power.  We just like being self-reliant.

• MammaG08
    October 25, 2012 at 2:31 PM

I hate a bunch of extra clutter and un-needed stuff in the house; it makes me crazy!  Things get messier a lot faster, and it takes longer to clean up.  Now saying that, we do have a lot of toys for the kids, but I do have to say that they were mostly gifts.  For birthdays, christmas, etc., i buy one or two toys, and that's enough.  Some of my friends houses are FULL to the max with toys and games, and I think it is just too overwhelming for the kids.  How can they concentrate on anything?  Not to mention that their house is usually disorganized.  Jesus was a minimalist...just sayin'. 

• Boobah
    by Boobah
    October 25, 2012 at 5:30 PM
    We are working on living a simpler lifestyle by choice. Less stuff, taking care of what we have, better quality vs quantity, etc.
  • Precious333
    October 25, 2012 at 5:35 PM

We are in a one income household, and are on a strick budget, however we recieve a lot of gifts, usually necessities, but sometimes not, from mostly family, some friends. Our house has way too many toys! Also, I love books, and probably should be giving some away! lol  There are also things we could really use but can't afford. We have a printer that doesn't work and have to get rid of, my sister gave us one and its not working on our computer....so two printers that we can't use! kind of frustrating! lol  Our school stuff is also very limited and we try to make due with what we have. I did get accepted into a charter, that will pay for some classes and materuals, so we will be getting more things that way.

Also, we live in a very small house, which makes being a minimalist even more important!

• Precious333
    October 25, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Good question!

I would say we are minimalist by choice.  Hubby is an electrical engineer so when he has a job we make very good money.  We have a very small house (less than 1500 sq ft for our family of 5) with 2 VERY small bedrooms.  When we were building it I was told we would never be able to sell it because it is so small.  Friends told us we could afford a bigger house (yeah, with a bigger mortgage :-P) but I kept saying: then I'd have to clean it! 

We have no cell phone, no kindle, and for a long time we had no computer!  I hear all the time how we would be better off with all that stuff, but then we'd never have peace!  When we come home from biking or shopping or whatever there is almost always a message or 2 on the machine, if we had a cell phone I know we would be as addicted as all the others we see talking on it instead of to the person they are with.  I'm so glad not to have that distraction.

We put our extra money on our mortgage, so in another 6 years, we should be debt free (God willing).  That means a whole lot more to us than other material goods.  It means that hubby can stop working long stressful hours and we can live off our land like we've always wanted! 

We used nondisposable diapers, we use nope-kins, unpaper-towels, reusable sandwich bags, nondisposable pads, and all those other things that make people qo all squidgy when we mention them.

We pieced together our solar power system and now produce all our own power.  We just like being self-reliant.

you sound similar to us, excpet DH has a low paying job! We are a family of 5 in a 900 squarfoot house, or something like that! lol We do cloth everything (excpet TP). The only thing we have is computer (just recently got TV with it), and cell phones.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN