Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
KrissyKC
Minimalism anyone?
October 25, 2012 at 12:58 PM

I'm not talking about the artform either.   I'm talking about living a minimalist lifestyle.

As one-income homes, we all live SOME form of minimalism.   Our income and, therefore, our budgets are smaller.

However, I'm curious, are you a minimalist by choice or by necessity?   Do you find yourself accepting every bag of unwanted items that people send your way out of nicities, or is that like Christmas to you?   Do you LOVE pouring over the "treasures" that you might find among someone's trash?  

Maybe you earn plenty of extra cash, but just hate having too much stuff, so you live a minimalist lifestyle on a kings budget?  (wish we all could do that!)

Are you sometimes bothered by not being able to provide some things you'd like to for your kids?   When the two income household next door has a swimming pool, video games galore, four wheelers, trampolines, etc...  do you wish you lived somewhere else???

Replies

• kirbymom
    October 26, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Oh wow! This is a good question. I love all the posts too. :)  

We are definitely minimalists by choice. We don't use alot of things that  would make our lives easier. I am always down-sizing what we have. No matter where we live. Big house or small.  We hardly ever eat out. 90% of our foods that we eat are hand made. We use second hand clothes, furniture, gadgets, appliances. Once in blue moon, we will buy new. We do have cell phones and they are new. In fact we just got back into using cell phones as we had them turned off because the bill kept going up even though we kept down-grading our services. Went almost a year without one. Did get a throw away minute phone that was used strictly for work for awhile. If I needed to talk to hubby, I just used yahoo messenger.  That was kind of neat. And it saved so much on our phone bill. We don't have cable or satelight. We watch dvd's and tapes. or we will use the digital box that has the 2 free channels on it. I think we have somewhere in the neighborhood of 700-1000 movies, at 3 dollars a pop, every month or so.  

We get clothes from all kinds of places.  Second hand shops, friends, friends of friends, thrift shops, gifts.  We have gotten alot of clothes that way. What we don't or won't use, we give to someone else.  I could go on and on but Ithink this is good.  

Do I eny? Sometimes. Who doesn't have that once in awhile, weak moment?                                       

• CleanAir1
    November 29, 2012 at 7:24 AM

Thanks for the info, which will get me moving in the right direction.  I'll keep this post because I'm sure I will have questions.

• JanuaryBaby06
    January 21, 2013 at 9:01 PM

We make pretty good money. I choose the minimalist lifestyle because I dont like having alot of stuff and it just feels right. I hate waste..... if it's not being used it then why keep it in my home? We do have activities that we pay for but as far as stuff.... we dfont have much. For Christmas we even do the want need wear read thing because i just dont see the need to instill greed and materialism into my children. i try to teach them less is more :D

Our house is 1,360 sq ft and looks and feels HUGE, on the inside anyway! if we ever move we will be buying a much smaller house.... just at the time i wanted to live near my mom and this is what we could comfortably afford that was close to her. I also enjoy going to thrift stores and flee markets. I rather keep soemthing from taking up space in a landfill somewhere....plus i rather help someout out rather then dump more money into corporate hands.

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    January 22, 2013 at 10:43 AM

when the kids were younger we had no choice we had to live without stuff, (i guess they call that minimalist nowdays, we called it poor) now we have more money to live on but its a habit now living with less stuff! i would find it hard to live another way, always saving, looking for a deal, bartering, a way we can make it

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts