allthatjazz251
This child is unteachable! I'm fed up! -VENT-
October 23, 2012 at 2:36 PM

How hard is it? REALLY?

2-3-_? 4! It's 4 dang it!

Me: Can you count to 10?

Gal: Yeah. -she counts to ten easily-

Me: Ok. Finish this. 2-3-...

Gal: 4. (again, done without a problem.)

I give her a worksheet with the same exact excercises and she blows it! I write 1-10 at the top of the page even, and she still gets them wrong. I am NOT going to be holding her hand on work that she is suppose to be doing herself! Ah! I'm so frustrated! She can count to 29, but can't finish a "what comes next" exercise? REALLY? I can't do this. I hate the school system here, and do NOT like that SB48 bill, but I am not doing this every day. I don't have the patience. I have a 16 month old and #3 comng in Feb. I don't have time to do her work for her because nothing sticks in the butterfinger brain of hers!

frustrated

Replies

• allthatjazz251
    October 23, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Quoting NoahsCoolMama:

She may be a visual learner like my son. If she items in front of her that she can count out, she may grasp the concept more easily. Is a private school an option for you? She would get more one-on-one than a public school? It is quite expensive, but worth every penny, in my opinion.

I wish I wish I wish private schook was an option, but it is far out of our budget. =(

• mem82
    by mem82
    October 23, 2012 at 3:46 PM

*hugs* My son was the same way. Step back and maybe come back to it from another approach next week. Maybe get a paper and draw a hopscotch board. Have her fill in the numbers that way. In each board start with a different beginning number.

• kirbymom
    October 23, 2012 at 4:07 PM

What you are doing is just fine. Remember that to you it is simple but to her she percieves the learning process differently. However smart she is, she is still only 5.  Try finding a different worksheet method that she can identify with.  I have a 9 yr old that is the same way. And I was the same way. We just learn with different methods and not just one or the other. It takes several different methods to help us understand.  maybe you could try using some of her toys as math problems and concepts, then transfer those problems and concepts to paper slowly. That way she has a moving, visible target to watch as you move them from a visual physical concept to a written concept. Seems like she needs to see you write it out for herself. that way she can track what you are doing, in her mind. Sometimes, the process gets lost if it can not be seen. So, with you trying this method, she will be able to see the process and be able to remember that process when it goes from verbal to visual to written.  Anyway, I hope this works for you.   You are doing just fine though. Learning doesn't have to happen quickly. :)  

Quoting allthatjazz251:

It seems so simple, that's true. I guess she still is on the basics. It's frustrating because we have been doing numbers and letters for a while now. I thought she'd be further ahead. We're not on a curriculum for K to save money so I'm just trying to wing it. Time to take a few steps back. 

Thanks.

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    October 23, 2012 at 6:09 PM

sorry your having problems allthatjazz

, but maybe your the problem??? dont get mad at me!!!  one of my dd was like that, she was very hands on, and just couldnt get the idea to do it on paper at that age, eventually she got it figured out, and i seen that me getting mad at her and acting like she was dumb or something wasnt helping at all, she'd get so frustrated cuz she'd see i was so frustrated!!! but i finally let it go, and we just didnt do that for a while and evenually it was no problem at all( shes now grown up and manages a bank)hahahaha!!

• southernwldchld
    October 23, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Oh sweetie, my ds was the exact opposite. 

He could not count to ten, he couldn't even say his alphabet. But he could point out letters and knew how many you had in your hand. He could do the work on paper even. But out loud?? Never happening.

We weren't really surprised when he was evaluated for fine motor skills and ended up with a score of 14yrs for visual at the age of 8. 

My dd is the same as yours, I can tell you that they DO get better.

She's an auditory learner. If she can vocally express it, she will catch up with the writing it part. 

Think of it this way.

First, she has to process visually what she sees on the paper.

Then, she has to find the answer.

Next, she has to remember what shape that answer is.

Now, she has to translate that shape from her brain to her hand to the paper.

It's not as easy as it seems. Orally, she just answers. None of that in between nonsense.

It can take a while for kids to master getting it from a paper to their brains and back out again. 

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN