Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
melindabelcher
overwhelmed and discouraged
Mel
October 13, 2012 at 4:04 PM
So we've been homeschooling for a month and a half but only gotten through about 2 weeks of materials. I'm homeschooling kindergarten(5yo, boy) I have a 3yo, 6mo and babysit my 5mo neice. while trying to help my husband with his homework, type his papers. Living in my parents home while my dad is in and out relapsing several times on drugs.
My parents have tried to offer to pay for him to go back to the private school. My husband wants him to reach certain school milestones by his birthday or he wants him enrolled in a school. He wants to see paperwork and seatwork and completed pages.
We went to virginia(live in mass) for an unexpected family emergency for 2 weeks, which initially set us back. My parents and husband think I'm incompetent.
I just want to cry. I have a hard time not taking anything they say like a personal attack. I do feel like life is overwhelming me...but if I tell dh it's going to only add fuel to his fire.
Any ideas? Would he be better in a school system? How can I fix this?

Replies

• melindabelcher
    Mel
    October 14, 2012 at 5:57 PM
    Thanks guys :)
    I guess since my life is a little crazy I have to be more planned/organized.
    I'll try to set aside more time.
    I've been thinking if I can just do his writing papers and math papers ahead of time I'd just have to grab them and set him up.
  • coala
    by coala
    October 14, 2012 at 6:23 PM

I don't know if this will work for you or not, but I tore all work books apart this year.  I spent a total of 3 nights doing this.  I 3 hole punched all the pages and put them into 3 ring binders.  I have a master binder that holds ONLY the work for the week and a place that I can put grades.  The night before I go through and put all the days work into a daily folder.  At the end of the day I put it back in the weekly folder.  At the end of the week it goes back into the original folder and all new stuff comes out.  This system is working well for us.  My SO designed the system since last year was such a disaster as far a preparation went.  Good luck.

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    October 15, 2012 at 8:49 AM

You need to make your son a priority.  His school work comes before everyone else.  Why are you helping your husband with his homework and typing his papers?  Sounds  that your son is doing fine.  Stand your ground and do what you know is right.  

• sheila5745
    October 15, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Quoting mem82:

*hugs*

I know how overwhelming it can be, and you sound like you have a lot going on in your life. First, tell your parents, Thanks, but no thanks and ask them to quit offering because he is staying with you. Then, tell your husband that homeschooling curriculums are much larger than anything he would be doing in school so your son isn't behind at all. Explain to him everything that is going on and show him that that would have put anyone behind. Going out of town for two weeks would have put your son behind in public school.

Next, get a schedule for your life, not so much for your school work. Yes, lots of life is going on, but if you look organized, then you'll look competent. If you look competent, pretty soon things will start looking like they are coming together. Then, before you know it, things will come together. Smile 'til you mean it. LOL

Get up earlier than you are by half an hour. That's your time to get a jumpstart on everyone so you are hitting the ground running. That will help a ton!

Looks good, sounds like a wonderful way to go......

really feel for you. I had a lot going on over the summer and still trying to teach. your way of thinking really does work...

• Mommynay2
    October 15, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Hi, we use Time4Learning also, and I also use various books for Destinay also, I like it because it teaches the curriculum and it's cheap. For one child it's about $20 per month. Also another thing about Time4Learning is that it's fun it feels more like a game. And you can set the timer for how much time your child has to spend before they go to the playground. I would definitely use it if I were you, it takes a lot of the headache of planning. Well, good luck sorry you don't have a good support system set up, one more thing that you can do is try to look up homeschool groups in your area. Take care keep your head up.

Quoting amandae21:

What kind of curriculum are you using?

I'm not quite as stretched as you are, but I have a 2yo and 6mo. I'm not always available. We use time4learning.com for math and language arts. They have science/social studies as well but we do child-led learning for those. DD looooves Science and history, so these classes are a breeze.

Time4learning does all of her language arts teaching. They have good instruction on the math but she needs my direct teaching to learn new concepts. For instance, I had to teach her the concept of multiplication and division, but she was able to build on those skills with relative ease using time4learning. They also have a reporting function which allows me to pull up what all she has done. It's fun too. If you decide to try it, let me know so I can give you info to put in for referral. I'm not trying to sell you or anything, I just really like it. It's been a lifesaver for our HSing. 

• KrissyKC
    October 15, 2012 at 7:37 PM

""my husband wants him to reach milestones by his birthday...."
    "I help my husband with his homework, type his papers"

Why on earth???   This is backwards.

Sorry, hun, I cannot type your college papers for you, I'm helping the kindergartener meet the standards you set for us.

• kirbymom
    October 15, 2012 at 7:56 PM

If your husband is looking for *proof* of your son's learning, then get some activity books from your local store. The ones that have numbers and letters and some words. You can also hand write a few papers each night and let your son do them each day and grade them according to his ability and put smiley faces on them when he is doing a good job. This way, you can "show" his progress. And while they are all fussing over his good job, you can continue to do the other schoolwork in whatever time it takes to get done. However long or short that takes. Also, when your son is doing a good job on his work, put it on the refridgerator so that his proof of progress is there for all to see. This way they are more focused on your son's work already done than what you haven't done with him yet. Also, you should ask your hubby if he could do some of his own typing and proof reading while you are trying to teach your son.  Stand your ground that what you are doing IS best for your son. And what mem said about getting a look for being organised is right on. It will take a little time getting there but when you ARE finally there you will say, wow.. now when did this happen?  lol  I should know, this so happened to me. :)  You ARE doing a fine job so far from what I've gathered from your post. You can do this. :)  

• BraydensMama163
    October 15, 2012 at 8:00 PM
    T4l.com is a friggin lifesaver! My son loves it and we actually "play" so much he's caught up in science till December.
  • KrissyKC
    October 15, 2012 at 8:20 PM

typing one hand.  nurse baby.  being lazy,

ok...  time4learning is VERY helpful this year with newborn and willful 4 yr old in tow and hsing 2 others. 

i dont like it alone as it is not at our academic standards, but i cannot teach the 1000 hours that missouri requires to both of them while still being there 4 everything else. 

• MessedUpMama
    October 16, 2012 at 4:23 AM

It sounds like your DS is doing quite well. He's far ahead of DCG who is still learning letters and how to write them. We just started learning about starting sounds of words. In Math she is learning about patterns in a week or so we will be starting numbers. She knows most of the numbers by sight already, but she can't write them yet. Addition and subtraction is still months away. She is learning some keyboarding skills, and has been learning about families, healthy habits, and holidays. So from my point of view your DS is doing fantastic.

Why can't your DH do his own typing, and proof reading like any other college student? Considering how much you do for him, the fact that you are living with your parents and have to deal with their issues, DS and DH are not the only ones you have to take care of and spend time with you have the other kids as well, I'd say you are doing amazingly well. He needs to cut you some slack, and relax a little. Or do is own school work and help out with things at home.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts