Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
bluerooffarm
And this is why block scheduling doesn't work for us!
October 11, 2012 at 5:08 PM

I finished our third art lesson early this afternoon.  I was so jazzed that we were back on schedule even after taking a vacation week at the beach last week!  Then I looked at my daily plan.  We were supposed to be doing music, not art today!  DANG!  So we did one music lesson and hope to get back-back on schedule tomorrow!

I'm going to try to convince the boys to choose single lessons next month! 

PS I was also very proud that I started right in on art... I HATE art!!

Replies

• Tesserae
    October 11, 2012 at 6:35 PM

I had grand plans of block scheduling but they never came to fruition. I just do each subject daily - it really isn't as bad as I thought it would be.

• bluerooffarm
    October 11, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Quoting Tesserae:

I had grand plans of block scheduling but they never came to fruition. I just do each subject daily - it really isn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Last year we did each subject daily.  It felt like I was shifting gears a lot, so this year we blocked our history, science, art, music, and social studies.  But if I glance at the weekly calendar too quickly I get it all wrong!

• kirbymom
    October 11, 2012 at 7:18 PM

I do a daily and a weekly schedule. That way I can concetrate on subjects that need more work in. 

• tiredmomfor2
    October 11, 2012 at 9:03 PM
    I hated k12's art! Lol I am not a big organized art person. My kids are always creating,drawing,coloring or something..lol
  • KickButtMama
    October 11, 2012 at 9:26 PM
    Lol, been there! Congrats on getting the art out of the way though!
  • Silverkitty
    October 11, 2012 at 9:28 PM

the nice thing of home schooling is you can switch things if things get messed up.  i've been doing that all year, since we have gotten so behind on somethings.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting Tesserae:

Last year we did each subject daily.  It felt like I was shifting gears a lot, so this year we blocked our history, science, art, music, and social studies.  But if I glance at the weekly calendar too quickly I get it all wrong!

• ablessedlife
    October 11, 2012 at 9:45 PM
    I've started to do art together with another family (once a week). It's more fun that way.
  • Precious333
    October 11, 2012 at 9:48 PM
    I tried that last year....I could no make it happen. We try and do all the subjects everyday....its still hit and miss sometimes!
  • bluerooffarm
    October 12, 2012 at 7:59 AM

Quoting tiredmomfor2:

I hated k12's art! Lol I am not a big organized art person. My kids are always creating,drawing,coloring or something..lol

Okay, confession time, sometimes I look through the things they draw and color and see if it matches any of the lessons.  Then I cover the "lesson" part, put the art work in the folder and just move on!  This year they have more art lessons than science.  Can we say overload?

• bluerooffarm
    October 12, 2012 at 8:01 AM

Quoting ablessedlife:

I've started to do art together with another family (once a week). It's more fun that way.

That would be fun!  With my 3, I let them do a lot of stuff together which is fun too.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts