Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
2_kiddos
What do you do?
October 6, 2012 at 11:41 AM

When you have all kinds of distractions such as people calling your house, Knocking on your door, Find out you have to go to the store for something to eat you know all the mommy distractions while it is time to do school?.  My MIL said there will be distractions like this when I start the k12. Just wondering how you handle it.

Replies

• Jinx-Troublex3
    October 6, 2012 at 11:44 AM
    You tell your firends not to call during school hours, put a do not disturb sign on the door and plan shopping trips so it doesn't interfere.

If any of these distractions DO happen, we just take a short break, and then get back to it.

I don't recall your kids ages but kinder and 1st grade shouldn't take more than 2 hrs a day.
  • 2_kiddos
    October 6, 2012 at 11:57 AM

my DD is 5 and my DS is 7 (held back a grade)

• kirbymom
    October 6, 2012 at 12:13 PM

like jinx said, just ask people to be aware of those times that you have set aside for learning to keep the door knocking and the phone calls down to a minimum.  And also as Jinx has stated, just take a short break until the distraction is over and done or if it is not looking like you are going to be able to pull away from it, just stop for the day and pick back up the following day. Its okay if you have days like this. You are not letting your children down. :)    

• lucsch
    by lucsch
    October 6, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Well, I don't go to the store. If I was at a job, I wouldn't run off to the store in the midst of my 8-hour shift. I also would not answer my phone for telemarketers, really anyone other than my dh. My friends have learned to call me later, as I do not answer the phone. People knocking on the door may or may not get an answer. Their interruption does not mean I'm obligated to drop everything for them. Homeschooling is my job.

• Jinx-Troublex3
    October 6, 2012 at 12:32 PM
    DH, or my parents are the biggest distractions. The kids see them and its like the recess bell...LOL

They are getting better about schooling when DH is up. He works nights so sleeps most of the time we are schooling. We take a break when he gets up and start up again when he leaves.
  • oredeb
    by oredeb
    October 8, 2012 at 10:01 AM

well you dont have to answer the phone,

dont answer the door,

plan you store shopping better, be aware of what you have in the house, start a list, stock your pantry

put everything else on hold till schools done,

also writing out a lesson plan of what your are gona try to accomplish in school each week helps a lot

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts