Homeschooling Moms

collinsmommy0
Preschool question
October 4, 2012 at 7:22 PM
Did/do you send your little one to preschool?

I'm debating sending my son to preschool when he is 3 or 4, preferably Montessori for 1-2 mornings a week, just to get social interaction with other kids on a regular basis.

My other thought is to start a homeschooling preschoolers group on fb & try to get a core group of kids together once a week or so.

I live in an area where it's normal to send your kid to preschool now (1.5 yeas old) for a 'pre-preschool' that 'promotes preacademic skills' so most preschools at 3 or 4 are academic workbook preschools with some art and play time mixed in (not kidding)

Replies

• coala
    by coala
    October 4, 2012 at 9:02 PM

I didn't b/c it wasn't right for us.  We have found other activities that get my kids out and involved in things as well as exposed to other children.  Children don't have to interact with other kids to be socialized.  They can talk and play with anybody of just about any age.

I have worked with my DD academically since she was little and expressing interest.  She is 4 and reading.  She starts K at 4 1/2 in January.  It is all in how you handle it.

• BramblePatch
    October 4, 2012 at 9:52 PM
    No preschool here. I don't buy into the socialization BS and since there is nothing done in a preschool that I cannot do at home, why bother? Both kids (ages 4 and 5) do have an activity that is their own. DD rides horses and DS starts hockey again tomorrow.
  • BraydensMama163
    October 4, 2012 at 9:58 PM
    We did preschool for DS. He enjoyed it. He went 3 days a week. He learned so much but because it was a bad experience for my husband and I with my son being so ADHD the teachers have always been super mean.

Time4learning.com is what we use to homeschool and they have a preschool curriculum. Its only 20 dollars a month. Great program.
  • irvinehiker
    October 4, 2012 at 9:58 PM

I completely agree here.  There are a million ways to socialize your child without a classroom.  If you're wanting to use Montessori that can easily be done at home.  I've been using Montessori at home to reinforce math for years. 

Quoting BramblePatch:

No preschool here. I don't buy into the socialization BS and since there is nothing done in a preschool that I cannot do at home, why bother? Both kids (ages 4 and 5) do have an activity that is their own. DD rides horses and DS starts hockey again tomorrow.

• AllThatBabyJazz
    October 4, 2012 at 10:19 PM

I am doing preschool at home. My daughter is having a blast!! She's 3.5 years old. 

• kirbymom
    October 4, 2012 at 10:29 PM

None of my kids have ever been in any kind of a school setting other than at home. They are way more social than I am. And I did go to a public school. lol :)  Go figure. :)

• KLove_Mom
    October 4, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Many of my friends here do "playschool" starting with their 1 year olds... to let them play with other kids and give Mommy a break. Some use it so they can work part time at something or take classes.

I never did that, but participated in a Ladies Bible Class and MOPS group, so the kids were in a nursery setting a couple days a week and I did something productive for me.

We put our 4 year old twins in a preschool this year 2 days a week, as we decide what to do with them when they turn 5. Even though they are doing well there we are still leaning toward homeschooling next year. 

The " Preschool" schedule includes storytime, snack time, Bible story or music time, puzzle and game play time, weather time, worksheets with ABCs and Numbers time, lunch, and recess. 
    They only do 2 or 3 worksheets and one artsy project a day... so it's not like they're academically doing more than I could do at home either.

You can do playdates, MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) groups, toddler gymnastics, music classes, library storytimes... and acheive all the results a school will give. But, if you want him to learn to work with another adult as teacher on a part time basis before sending him to school full time, then it can be useful for that too. 
    We sent our kids this year mainly to get feedback on their Kindergarten readiness. 

It's a personal choice.

• KrissyKC
    October 5, 2012 at 1:31 AM

My older two went and now my third goes.  It sure helps me, because I also have a newborn.   We don't do full time, just two days a week for 4 1/2 hours at a church up the street.   I use those four hours to get more intense subjects done with my older two.

It is good for her, too.   She is really learning to love her teachers and has been making friends.  She's learning how to be more independent.  For example, we FINALLY got her to start wiping her own bottom and opening her own juice boxes and getting the straws in them. 

This morning, I took her to a farm nearby for their class field trip and it was SOOO much fun for both of us.  I enjoyed seeing her with her teacher and classmates and I got a lot out of talking with the other moms.   It's worth every penny putting her in there.

• awilliams77
    October 5, 2012 at 1:37 AM
    Nah, we never did send any of our 4 to preschool. I did attend a MOPS group, where they went to child care twice a month, and they went to Sunday School. We always went to preschool story time at the public library, and had park playdates. As the younger ones came along, I had to remember to do those younger children activities with them too! There is a 4 or gap between my 3rd dd and our son. He never did get into the whole story time thing. But he sure went on a lot of cool field trips from infancy on!
  • mem82
    by mem82
    October 5, 2012 at 10:51 AM

I think you could start a play group of sorts that meets and maybe goes on a field trip once a month. Why not?

Don't forget to check out library story times and see if your local park system does pre school classes.

We don't do preschool outside of house.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts