Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
luvmypomeranian
I failed :(
September 27, 2012 at 11:20 AM

I've had other homeschool moms at our homeschool group tell me not feel bad....but I do.   We put my 7 year old back in public school.    We were struggling big time with doing homeschool.....he was not engaged in it all, he fought me on everything, and he just didnt seem to care about schoolwork at all.    So we went and met with the principal at our school we are zoned for and decided to put him in.   He's doing great so far......getting good grades and excited about learning.   But I feel like a failure.    I still take my 5 year old to homeschool group and we're doing prek/k work at home.    A few of the moms in our group have 1 or more kids homeschooling and 1 or more in school.

I think I do still want to homeschool later once life calms down and my 1 year old is older.     Elementary doesnt scare me too bad, but high school terrifies me!  

Do many families start homeschooling after elementary age and do well with it?   

Replies

• mem82
    by mem82
    September 27, 2012 at 11:22 AM

*hugs*

Sometimes, the child needs what school can provide. It's hard to separate mom and teacher mom for some kids.

• luvmypomeranian
    September 27, 2012 at 11:28 AM

I wonder if it makes a difference if they never went to school?   He went for K and 1st.   I wonder if i start from scratch with my younger two if it makes it easier than transitioning from school to homeschool?   My 5 year old is pretty adamant she is not going to school she says!

• bren_darlene
    September 27, 2012 at 11:36 AM

All kids are different and learn at different speeds.  Only my older children had to go to public schools and that was only because I had never heard of home education way back then.  The very week I heard of  it (apx 20 yrs ago) I yanked them out and brought them home.  My oldest was 8th grade when I yanked them out.  All of our children graduated from homeschool. I was a high school drop out myself so I know that doesn't matter. You just have to learn right along with them. You can do this!!!!

• lucsch
    by lucsch
    September 27, 2012 at 1:39 PM

I failed after one year of trying to homeschool my 4th and 6th graders. I think it is more difficult to "deschool" a kid after they have been indoctrinated in the ways of school. It isn't that it is better, it is that their methods are ingrained into the kids as being the only way. My kids complained that we weren't doing school "right" and that I should lecture to them. They didn't like to have to read and understand all by themselves. They wanted me to handhold them through everything. They missed the structure of sitting at a desk doing endless piles of worksheets and being told what to do every minute of the day. My way of school required more of them and oddly less of them at the same time. It was different.

Fortunately, I figured out that it wasn't my fault. I wish I'd known that back in those days that deschooling is just a part of transitioning into homeschool. Instead, we figured we were failing at it, so I sent them to public school the next year (previous to homeschool they were in a Christian school).

My dd9 and I are in our 6th year of homeschool. She has been homeschooled from the start, and we both love it. She is doing really well academically, and she always does what I ask of her.

BTW, my boys--the ones who went to public school--still have more respect for me than I have observed in other parent-child relationships. I think that came from that one year of homeschool, so perhaps it was not a total flop after all! They have done very well in the public school, scoring 1980 and 2070 on the SAT. One is a senior this year and the other is in his sophmore year of college.  So, while our homeschooling did not work out well, they did get well educated, they are good kids and will make great adults. That's what matters, in the end, to me.

• KickButtMama
    September 27, 2012 at 2:40 PM
    No parent should feel like a failure for recognizing whatever they were doing might not have been the right track and choosing to make a change!

I also know it is super hard, sometimes, to find the keys to incite excitement in learning. Perhaps you'll go back to HS one day when both of you are more comfortable with it.
  • zebrachick83
    September 27, 2012 at 2:47 PM

We haven't gotten to that point with our kids, but I was homeschooled after being in public school through fifth grade. It worked well for me. I graduated early and went on to college and a career. The only thing that I didn't like is that my mom was not involved in my schooling at all. She literally gave me the books and said "Do it". I didn't spend time with other kids my age and that was boring in the extreme. But I think as long as you're involved in your son's education (and it sounds like you are) and you help him have social opportunties, he'll be fine to homeschool later on. :)

• almondpigeon
    September 27, 2012 at 6:45 PM

I started when one child was starting kindergarten & one child was starting 9th grade.  This is our 2nd year & the now 1st grader is doing great.  The now 10th grader hates HS, hates me, hates being at home...you get the picture.  He's going back to public school next year.  I don't know what the problem is, exactly...it just doesn't work for him.  I'm going to keep the 4 younger kids at home for home school, though. Good luck with whatever you decide.

• RyansMom001
    September 28, 2012 at 6:13 AM
    You did what was best for your DS. All kids aren't the same, if he's happy and learning that's the most important thing.
  • hipmomto3
    September 28, 2012 at 9:21 AM
    If you are doing what your child needs, you are NOT failing! Failure would be letting your pride stop you from admitting your child will do better in a different learning environment.
  • sheila5745
    September 28, 2012 at 6:35 PM

No way are you a failure. Just read some of the comments on my post... I don't know how to do this.. Those ladies will help you... Sorry I can't.... But

My child was going into the eight grade. But she has autism and m.r., She went to 5th grade and then to a special school because the school system said they had nothing for my child at the Middle school. So we put her in special school. She was there for 2 yrs. Now I am home schooling or trying to. He will come around too.

Yes Middle school and High school both scare me to death. The advocates are trying to get me to put her in our Middle school. I think not.. Take care... have a great weekend..

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts