Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
fugategonzo
Looking for advice
August 7, 2012 at 3:55 PM

My son is going into the third grade.  In Math he's going into 5th grade.  He is homeschooled thought CAVA .  I was just informed that this year I need to slow down my son in math.  So he doesn't get too far ahead of everyone else. Because, CAVA does not want him doing High School Math before he gets into 7th grade. I'll take any advise

Replies

• fugategonzo
    August 7, 2012 at 5:38 PM

CAVA   (California Virtual Academies)  K-12

• fugategonzo
    August 7, 2012 at 5:41 PM

" CAVA"  California Virtual Academies  K-12

• southernwldchld
    August 7, 2012 at 6:52 PM

My son is the same way with math, and that is why we left our K12 school. We're using another a.l.e. program, it's just easier here in our state, but this one is so much more parent friendly. They have a more hands off approach which we love. All we've heard about ds and his math since then is how great he'll be when it comes to college level. 

Is there any other programs you can use? Or supplement with different math? Please don't stop him, he'll just get bored and lazy like my 13yo did. 

We use Saxon for our math loving ds. 

• badgermom2012
    August 7, 2012 at 7:36 PM

That doesn't sound right to me.  Why shouldn't be doing whatever level he's capable of?  

• jacklinee
    January 28, 2013 at 4:06 AM

A new programe just for your child so then there should be no need to slow your child down, in any program, Homeschooling is all about you have to choose. A new programme which we offer you take him out of their math till he hits 7th grade and do another math program. http://www.virtualhse.com/

• KickButtMama
    January 28, 2013 at 8:17 AM

I completely agree. I'd probably ask if we could withdraw him from the math portion of the program, but I'm not sure that's allowed. 

Quoting usmom3:

I don't believe in slowing a child's learning down because of a program. I would find another program that wont ask that of you & him.

• KrissyKC
    January 28, 2013 at 2:40 PM

My daughter was doing 6th grade math (completed it with a low A)... she technically was a "2nd grader" because of her late birthday... but we thought of her as a third grader.

Anyway, I DID choose to slow her down and make her do a different curriculum for 6th grade again the following year because I felt she could ACE a test but her writing was soooo sloppy and her set up of the problems was unbelievably poor... and she would get the wrong answers all the time just because of these issues...

I just wasnt' ready to accept that she could do the work associated with a higher level...

But, the second time around, I only reviewed the areas she knew well lightly and didn't expect a ton of work from her.   We filled up some extra "math" time with math projects, games, computer math games, and real-life math.

• KrissyKC
    January 28, 2013 at 2:42 PM

oh, in reference to your situation... if my daughter were producing the work a little more clearly than she was... I would have never held her back...

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts