Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
mrsbw
Starting to worry...
by mrsbw
July 11, 2012 at 10:14 AM

As the school year draws near I am starting to worry.  My lil guy will be starting 1 st grade and this will be our first year homeschooling.  I'm afraid he's going to get bored at home and miss all the kids that he goes to school with.  He asks me if we'll have "stations" where you do art/play, etc.  Sure we can have those things, but will it be the same without all the kids for him to play with?  Just his little sister who will get on his nerves, lol.  Ahhh, this is a scary step.  I've joined tons of homeschooling groups online, and local ones.  One group only gets together once a month and it seems like all of them have a lot of older kids, or aren't really interested in getting together.  I am afraid he won't get the interaction he loves?  Am I freaking out for no reason?  I am also afraid that I will not be organized enough....everyone keeps telling me that you have to be SO organized, well, these people that tell me this are not homeschooling, but it does seem like I would have to micro-manage everything.  I am not an organized person.  I am just starting to worry....a lot!  A few years ago, I decided I would homeschool our daughter, she has a life-threatening allergy to peanuts and we have no schools where I live that are peanut free, or even knowledgeable about food allergies. My son has no allergies, but I thought since I would be homeschooling one, why not both.  I felt like they would also get a better education.  All of my family keeps telling me that I should just send him to public school and homeschool my daughter.  I also see a counselor for some anxiety issues, a lot of which stemmed from my daughter being so sick over this past winter and it started to wear me down.  My counselor does not think I should homeschool my son either.  All of these people who do not homeschool (family, counselor) are making me think I am making a mistake.  Am I?  Or are they just clueless? 

Replies

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    July 11, 2012 at 12:37 PM

I would say they are clueless! Never take homeschooling advise from a none homeschooler they will always tell you to not homeschool because to them it is to different from the "norm". Your kids are going to get a better education from you at home then in the PS. The fact that you are so concerned for them & your abilities tells me you will not fail them in this!

• mrsbw
    by mrsbw
    July 11, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Thank you so much for your response!  I really needed to hear that <3

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    July 11, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Your welcome! Sometimes it is hard to stay positive when all you hear from the people you care about is negative. Homeschooling is a natural thing it is how we are supposed to learn & help our children learn. Public school is the experiment & it is failing.

Quoting mrsbw:

Thank you so much for your response!  I really needed to hear that <3

• bluerooffarm
    July 11, 2012 at 3:42 PM

How allergic is she to pb?  Can the oils touching her set off a reaction?  Sorry, but I ask this because if your son comes into contact with the oil and brings it hom it could be a problem.  This can be a good answer to the non-homeschoolers that you know.  They are clueless.  They are pushing their anxiety onto you.  Having a pat response that is less arguable may make them stop.  Since they are not argueing about your desicion to hs your daughter, it may be a good pat answer for your son as well.

• mem82
    by mem82
    July 11, 2012 at 4:18 PM

I completely agree! Everyone gets jittery. This is my fifth year homeschooling and sometimes I worry, too. 8)

Quoting usmom3:

I would say they are clueless! Never take homeschooling advise from a none homeschooler they will always tell you to not homeschool because to them it is to different from the "norm". Your kids are going to get a better education from you at home then in the PS. The fact that you are so concerned for them & your abilities tells me you will not fail them in this!

• kirbymom
    July 11, 2012 at 4:42 PM

usmom is right. You should never ever listen to one who has no experience in homeschooling. Seek out those who do have experience and listen to your own heart, mind and soul. blue is right also. You should tell these people, (which this really isn't any of their business anyways), you are not going to take any chances with your daughter's life and you therefore will be homeschooling your son as well. 

You are just getting nervous and that's normal.  Everyone gets nervous. Even us veterens.  : ) 

Seems you have a great start on teaching already. You can also get that socialization when you take your kids with you to the store ot to get gas or to the park, mall, for walks, talks with family, playdates.  See, you already have a social network and didn't even know it.  : )   Your kids have been socializing all this time so you really needn't worry on that end.   So, Welcome to the wonderful world of adventures in homeschooling.   : )

• mrsbw
    by mrsbw
    July 12, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Thank you all for all your responses!  I really do appreciate the support.  I am starting to feel better about it now!  I am going to write my letter to the school board today and get it in the mail.  Thank you!  xoxoxo!

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts