Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
SilentDraconia
Pregnancy and homeschooling.
July 10, 2012 at 11:23 PM
Well we just found out I am going to be having our 3rd! Seeing as I have had lots of female troubles this is a huge surprise! I go to the doctor tomorrow but we are guessing I am very far along like around 20wks ( no period in 4 years. No ovulation either!) we refuse to stop homeschooling. But I find my self nervous and worried we have been a bit laxed in school work a but of work book a bit of journal learning game here and there lots of reading and real life experience. We also do documentaries no full formal lessons like regular school. But we do basic core subjects every day.I do use time for learning as well as abc mouse for suppliments. I guess I'm just worried I will start relying on the computer and tv to teach. We are really hands on in everything. And I'm hoping that breast feeding and baby care will just ease into everyday life. We may need to take a break to reassess and add this into our daily life. Just looking for tips from you ladies. We are in third grade (advanced) 8 yrs and kindergarten 4 years. ( he tested here and passed all pre k test and skills needed.) whew just feel better getting this out of my head! My DH just shrugs.

Replies

• Shari55
    by Shari55
    July 11, 2012 at 6:57 AM

Congrats!!!! I have a friend who has eight children, and she homeschools (her oldest is starting his final year of homeschool this year), she does what I call relaxed unschooling, her older ones help the younger (sort of like the Duggars but not to the extreme) with thier work. Where your 8 yr.old is advanced he could help your 4 yr. old with writing is letters and such. If he is reading he could even read to your younger one. 

Relax it will all work out

• HippieMomma86
    July 11, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Congrats! I am also interested in some answers. I'll be homeschooling my sons (5) starting September and we decided to TTC in March so when I homeschool for first grade, I'll have a baby halfway through. Unfortunately, in my state, we need to stick to a certain curriculum with so many hours so unschooling really isn't an option.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    July 11, 2012 at 12:01 PM

I didn't homeschool when I was pregnant with my youngest but we did start homeschooling while he was an infant & it went well. What it sounds like you are doing is a lot like unschooling & there is nothing wrong with that especially in a transition stage of life. Your children will still learn maybe not the same as with a curriculum but I promise they will still learn. Learning is like breathing you can't help but do it!

• Aleshad01
    July 11, 2012 at 1:59 PM
    Congrats! We are starting our 1st year of homeschooling next month and I'm due in October. I've been thinking about how things will go once the baby comes but I'm sure everything will work out.
  • NoraDun
    by NoraDun
    July 11, 2012 at 3:08 PM

No advice as I am new to homeschooling. But I wanted to say congrats. We have been TTC for 2 yrs. I dont ovulate well either and have only actually O twice in the past two years. I am really hoping to concieve again soon but I am praying God knows the timing better then i do and that maybe he is waiting for us to concieve to have a Summer baby. Haha, then I wont be due until we are taking a schooling break. That is just my wishful thinking but my only concern about homeschooling while expecting is being due during the homeschool year. Then I would stress about how much delivery would interupt homeschooling. But with my last I delivered at home in less then two hours and was to church the following day. SOOO hopefully it would be just as smooth a delivery and it wouldn't interupt schooling too much. Anyway sorry for going on...again good luck and Congrats!

• kirbymom
    July 11, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Surprise! You are having a baby!  Congratulations! 

As for having a baby while homeschooling,  you just take your time and do what you can when you can. When you have gotten to a point where you feel comfortable in how everything is going, you can speed things up a bit and or add to what you are already doing.  I have been homeschooling for 12 years and have 7 kids.  The last pregnancy was a reallly extremely tough and high risk pregnancy for me and I had to take things slowly at first when we went back to homeschooling.  But we have pulled through and its been 3 years and everyone is doing a great job.  : ) 

I know there are a few ladies in here who are in the same boat and can give some great advice as well.   :)  

• mem82
    by mem82
    July 11, 2012 at 6:56 PM

My youngest is 10 months and today is my second youngest 3 birthday, so I've homeschooled two kids through 2 pregnancies. The best advice I can give is have a plan but keep it flexible. Make a list of 3 of 3-5 you feel are a must for each child.

My 4th grader is advanced in many things so my goal was to not lose ground in Math for her grade level. She started off a bit advanced and I made sure she didn't fall behind what was a high normal for her grade. I reaally made sure we focused on her writing since I felt it was a weak point. With my 1st grader, I concentrated on learning to read and his Math. Everything else, I let them pick up via online shows, the History Channel and weekly trips to the library.

Another thing I did that, I feel, really expands their minds, is Googling all of those 'Why?' Questions. We learned so much just by doing that, it was amazing. Then, they'd go and get a book about it and before I knew it, they had a whole Science unit done, themselves. 8)

• TeaHound
    July 11, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Sounds like my husband. lol

I have four kids.  My youngest was born when my previous youngest was 6 and I had two ahead of them.  Anyway, we did school until the month I delivered (I was due in the middle of the month) and then I took care of the baby and they did their school work (we moved and I gave them a month off for that).  When I got pregnant again, my two oldest were a year and a half ahead and by the time I'd had a miscarriage and gotten back to being able to do their school work again, one was a year and the other almost a year behind.  I don't know how that happened, but we're catching up and it's not really a big deal.

I guess my point is that my "normal" or healthy pregnancy that was followed by baby care, etc didn't create a problem in my homeschooling.  It was the mistakes made when I had a miscarriage that caused problems for us.  (just the miscarriage wouldn't have though).

I'm sure you'll get better ideas and advice from the other women here; they know their stuff!!!  ((hugs)) about the dh thing; mine's the same way lol

• SilentDraconia
    July 12, 2012 at 12:20 AM
    Thanks so much for a ll the wonderful advice. Found out its a girl and I'm due nov 12 not quite 2 weeks after my youngest.
  • Boobah
    by Boobah
    July 12, 2012 at 8:18 AM
    I found out I was pregnant about 2 months into homeschooling last year. Normally I have super easy pregnancies, but this one (my third also!) was hard on me. My hips hurt, I was exhausted, I had bad morning sickness until 23 weeks. It was awful.
    Needless to say, we didn't do much. I made sure we did math and reading. Thatwas about it, and even those didn't always get done. The last 2-3 months of my pregnancy I felt much better, so I started doubling up on lessons, and doing as much as we could. We ended up finishing our spelling, math, science, handwriting but not history and we didn't do much art/music. Our school year ended 10 days before I had the baby!
    Now, baby is a month old, and I am so nervous that I won't be able to do all of our work. But, I keep reminding myself how much easier it is to catch up homeschooling. And, to do more work when we have the opportunity and desire, so we don't get behind.
    My biggest challenge is my middle child. She is 3, is having listening and obeying difficulties, and is starting to really act out.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts