Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
mem82
What State are you in and how hard is it to homeschool there?
by mem82
May 28, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Do you have to jump through a lot of loops?

Replies

• bether89
    May 28, 2012 at 6:45 PM

I live in Alabama and it is not hard to hs here.   We have to send a letter of intent to the school system.  We joined an umbrella school and submitt grades at the end of the year.

• Moma3boyz
    May 28, 2012 at 8:38 PM
    I am (thankfully) in Indiana. I have to keep attendance to show they had 180 days of school and be able to show they are learning. No testing, no intent letters, no preapproval of curriculum, they dont tell us what to teach or how long. It is one of the easiest states to homeschool in.
  • bashfull_77
    May 28, 2012 at 8:43 PM
    I am in Alabama too

Quoting bether89:

I live in Alabama and it is not hard to hs here.   We have to send a letter of intent to the school system.  We joined an umbrella school and submitt grades at the end of the year.

• momof030404
    May 28, 2012 at 9:30 PM

AL girl here TOO!! LOL

• snowangel1979
    May 28, 2012 at 9:36 PM
    Michigan
    I haven't officially started yet, we are letting DS finish the year.
    From what I've read the only "rule" is it has to be done by a parent.
    No umbrella school, can teach what ever, no letters to anyone, and no turning in any paperwork what so ever..
  • littleacorn
    May 28, 2012 at 9:40 PM
    I'm in Michigan, too. Absolutely NO hoops, no paperwork to file, nothing. It used to be a really BAD state for hs'ing, but some people sued, claiming religious discrimination or something and got it changed. Now it's one of the most lenient states!
  • SusanTheWriter
    May 28, 2012 at 9:41 PM

I live in IL. There's no need for any notification of the school district, no records to show anyone, no testing, no hours to track. I was actually a little disturbed by the lack of accountability, but it sure makes my life easier.

I say that after realizing that keeping a portfolio so she can get credit for honors classes if she returns to public school is going to be very time-consuming and detailed!

• Jinx-Troublex3
    May 28, 2012 at 10:32 PM
    CA is one of the easiest. You file as a private school and keep attendance and that's pretty much it.

CA also has some of the best options in charter eschools and hybrid options.
  • mynameismuerte
    May 28, 2012 at 10:41 PM
    I'm in KY, near IN and OH.

It's not TX or IN but it's super simple with minimal requirements. We have to notify the district and there are requirements for attendance and subjects taught but no real way to enforce them. There is no testing or check on progress.
  • bren_darlene
    May 28, 2012 at 10:49 PM

I am in Arkansas and I don't rightly know since I never did what they said.  I think they wish for you to register and test.  Not sure though.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN