Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
carolkey74
Hopefully changed some minds!
April 19, 2012 at 8:38 AM
Yesterday, my kiddos went to 4H. My daughter is in the clothing and textile club, and my son does Lego robotics. There are ps and hs kids in this club, and we meet in a local middle school. Something interesting happened as we were packing up to leave. Nathan, my son, had to do a closed option survey for math, and he chose five different foods, and asked several people to choose their favorite. He asked his hs buddies, then asked the ps boys. One of them looked at him and said, "wait, you do math??" My son just gave him a weird look, and moved on to another kid. Of course, I couldn't let that comment slide :-) , so I asked him what he meant. He said that since we hs, he just thought that we sit around and watch tv all day. Whoa Nelly...I almost split my skin! I asked him where he got his information, and he said that's what some teachers said when a parent pulled their kid from the school to hs him. He said the secretary and his mom (who teaches at the school) said that hs kids don't get an education, and that all the parents are lazy. When I asked him what he thought of us, he said that we didn't look lazy, and that my kids are really smart. I told him that what he had heard about hs was a stereotype, and that he should always research things for himself. By the time we left, he said he wanted to be homeschooled! He's in 6th grade, made a perfect score on his state test last year, and is bored out of his mind. I felt so sorry for this child! But more than anything, I was furious at the adults who told him this junk in the first place! I'll probably get a phone call from his teacher mom, and I really hope I do. It's time that the ps realizes we aren't trying to pick a fight with them; we just chose a different path for our children. The funny thing is, there have been 11 children pulled from this school just this year to homeschool.

Replies

• Kaylon
    by Kaylon
    April 19, 2012 at 9:34 AM

You go, momma!   :-)      

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    April 19, 2012 at 9:56 AM

wow! thats so neat carol!!! boy i bet ya'd love to talk to his mom!

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    April 19, 2012 at 11:43 AM

I hate when that happens! Most teachers feel threatened by us & so they say things about hs to make themselves feel better!

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts