Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
MommaChell
Kids in the kitchen...
April 21, 2011 at 12:14 AM

How often do you have your kids helping in the kitchen? What type of foods do they make or help you with? Do they use the stove-top & other appliances? 

I'd love to have my kids in the kitchen more, but it can be a challenge. Any suggestions on working with multiples, whats worked for you?

Replies

• MrsM121
    by MrsM121
    April 21, 2011 at 7:21 AM

Two of my children are a bit older (13 and 19) and they can do pretty much everything but fry.  They dislike popping greese LOL.  They can make their own foods on the top of the stove, in the oven or the microwave.  My youngest is 5 and he's not even allowed to use the microwave so he does other things to help out.

I have a lot of personal space issues in the kitchen, as in, it's my space and get out NOW, so letting them in can be a challenge for me on my best days.  I usually pick a meal or whatnot and walk them through the steps on fixing it. 

My daughter learned to make cookies from watching me then asking me over and over again to help her during times when I didn't have time to stop and show her.  Finally she got so frustrated that she went on her own and taught herself to make them LOL.  It wasn't intentional but it worked and she makes some really good cookies now :).

• MrsM121
    by MrsM121
    April 24, 2011 at 1:47 PM

Anybody else?  I'm sure me and Momma Chell are not the only ones with kids in the kitchen.

• twyliatepeka
    April 24, 2011 at 11:40 PM

Quoting MrsM121:

Two of my children are a bit older (13 and 19) and they can do pretty much everything but fry.  They dislike popping greese LOL.  They can make their own foods on the top of the stove, in the oven or the microwave.  My youngest is 5 and he's not even allowed to use the microwave so he does other things to help out.

I have a lot of personal space issues in the kitchen, as in, it's my space and get out NOW, so letting them in can be a challenge for me on my best days.  I usually pick a meal or whatnot and walk them through the steps on fixing it. 

My daughter learned to make cookies from watching me then asking me over and over again to help her during times when I didn't have time to stop and show her.  Finally she got so frustrated that she went on her own and taught herself to make them LOL.  It wasn't intentional but it worked and she makes some really good cookies now :).

that is so me!! she still little so i feel like i am gonna trip over her if she is in there. my mom was like that too...but she was so bad she didn't really teach me too cook...i pretty much had to learn on my own.

• MrsM121
    by MrsM121
    April 25, 2011 at 7:39 AM

Quoting twyliatepeka:

Quoting MrsM121:

that is so me!! she still little so i feel like i am gonna trip over her if she is in there. my mom was like that too...but she was so bad she didn't really teach me too cook...i pretty much had to learn on my own.

LOL I'm still tripping over my kids and my older ones are taller than me now.  As much as it bugges me sometimes my kids are all over me in the kitchen, and we've got a small one now.  I've learned to walk on my tippy toes when it's crowded and created some really interesting moves over the years to spare kids toes.

• Jinx-Troublex3
    April 25, 2011 at 11:28 AM
    OMG! Me too!..I hate having the kids in the kitchen and tripping over them! When they were babies/ toddlers I had baby gates up to keep thm out.

Now, they do help out at times. I do like working with them if I plan it and make the time to take it slow.

The boys are in Boy scouts and do all their own cooking on camping trips so I started teaching them to cook a couple years before while they were in Cub Scouts.

They first time I took my Troop out, before my boys were even in, I actually had a boy walk up to me with a can of green beans and ask, "Mrs. B, how do I cook these? Can I just put the can in the fire?" ...Um, get a can opener... "Mrs. B, what's a can opener and how do you use it?" I vowed this would not b my kids.
  • Jinx-Troublex3
    April 25, 2011 at 11:31 AM
    They all use the microwave and toaster. The 13 and 10 you both cook on the stove by themselves. Dd is 8yo and cooks on the stove with help. The 13 yo takes things from the oven and the other 2 help put things in the oven but not take it out.
  • SimplySonita
    April 25, 2011 at 5:02 PM

My kids love to help int eh kitchen and do so often.

My oldest (7) can use a real (aka sharp pointy) knife, stir on the stove top, flip bacon, make biscuits by himself, loves to help make bread, etc He can do just about anything (with supervision) excpet the microwave (it's over the stove-he can't reach it good) and the oven.

The 4 year old is more of a dumper and stirer LOL

They also have to help clean! washing dishesRinse dishes, load/unload dishwasher, sweep, mop, wipe table and counters, etc.

• MommaChell
    April 25, 2011 at 8:34 PM

Quoting twyliatepeka:

Quoting MrsM121:

My mother never cared to have me in the kitchen except on Christmas, so my cooking skills were nil. I started cooking when I left home for college and have acquired my own abilities in the kitchen over the years. I'm proud to say that because of this I have been actively composing a recipe book I hope to one day pass on to my daughter; I only wish I had some of my mother's recipes, she really was a great cook!

• MommaChell
    April 25, 2011 at 8:35 PM

Quoting SimplySonita:

My kids love to help int eh kitchen and do so often.

My oldest (7) can use a real (aka sharp pointy) knife, stir on the stove top, flip bacon, make biscuits by himself, loves to help make bread, etc He can do just about anything (with supervision) excpet the microwave (it's over the stove-he can't reach it good) and the oven.

The 4 year old is more of a dumper and stirer LOL

They also have to help clean! washing dishesRinse dishes, load/unload dishwasher, sweep, mop, wipe table and counters, etc.

Awesome! you rock

• MommaChell
    April 25, 2011 at 9:03 PM

For now, I bring kitchen activities to my kids, instead of my kids into the kitchen. I plan things that I do with them on their little picnic table or the floor; simple recipes that are full of appropriate activities that inspire learning and self confidence. My kids love to measure and pour as well! They love making playdoh and cookies, things they can get their hands in. I also let my kids watch me and ask questions as I'm working; one of my daughters fav activities. Some days I can be too busy or distracted to indulge her, but most days I enjoy it and love the bonding- something I don't remember having with my mother.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN