Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
MrsM121
Hi SimplySonita, question about unschooling
by MrsM121
April 15, 2011 at 3:34 PM

I noticed you mentioned in your introduction that you are an unschooler.  Can you explain a bit more about how you do that? 

I am not comfortable doing it with my kids because I like more structure and I'm scared they would miss tons of information but I've heard that for many who do unschooling it works really well.

Replies

• SimplySonita
    April 16, 2011 at 10:14 AM

Unschooling is very misunderstood. My children aren't just left to their own devices. big smile mini

The main thing for us is, I don't think forced learning (Especially for younger children) is the way to go.

Especially with younger children I think it's important to follow thier interests as they are so curious about things and have so many questions as they try to figure out the world.

We cover all subjects we are required to plus more. I don't buy the 'holes in their education' argument for any approach or option because not a person alive doesn't have holes in thier education. The point for us is not to teach them everything they need to know, that would be impossible. My goal is to instill a love of learning and teach them how to learn.

Then, when something comes up they don't know, when they are are 30 or 40 or 50 they have the drive and tools to learn whatever new technology or whatever they need to.

Also I've broken out of the mindset that education must look like the PS model. It doesn't and IMHO probably shouldn't for most people.

We may or may not always be unschoolers, but for now, it works perfectly for our family. I guide my kids but I don't say you have to do this today right now.

You can find out a lot more about how our family unschools on my blog wink mini

If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to answer them.

• MrsM121
    by MrsM121
    April 16, 2011 at 2:11 PM

When you explain it like that I think it sounds a lot like what I do with my kids when it comes to science and social studies/history learning.  With math and English I'm more book oriented but those subjects are a lot more lenient.

• SimplySonita
    April 16, 2011 at 3:26 PM

I hear that a lot, that people are strict about the 3 R's but unschool everything else. We just unschool everything happy

Quoting MrsM121:

When you explain it like that I think it sounds a lot like what I do with my kids when it comes to science and social studies/history learning.  With math and English I'm more book oriented but those subjects are a lot more lenient.

• MommaChell
    April 17, 2011 at 11:15 AM

SimplySonita- "The point for us is not to teach them everything they need to know, that would be impossible. My goal is to instill a love of learning and teach them how to learn."

That is my approach as well. I follow my children's lead while we're working together and try and guide them as they set the pace and direction. I love introducing new ideas to them and am always impressed with where they get to with them.  

I can feel confident that my children are growing to wonder at everything and not be afraid to asks questions and seek answers, because they are not intimidated by not knowing something or making mistakes. They naturally want to know everything about everything and it's my job to encourage and support that as much as I can.

"We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves."- Galileo Galilei

• fallenangel_353
    October 2, 2013 at 11:28 AM

If you're covering at the very minimal what has to be covered, that wouldnt be exactly unschooling would it? ( I'm not trying to be ignorant lol, I'm just asking) :)

The reason I am asking is, I only know one family that unschools. Every school morning, the mother asks them what it is they would like to learn for the day ( she has a 5,7 and 10 might be 11 yrs old by now). They decide what they are going too, if they want to play video games, she allows them to play. As a matter of fact, her 10 yr old played his xbox for 4 months straight before he decided to do schoolwork that didnt consist of Call Of Duty lol. She does not plan any lessons out, the children choose exactly what it is they do that day. She has no minimum of teaching core, critical things.

With that being the only experience I have with unschooling, I wasnt sure if that is exactly what it is. I do not have much of an opinion on unschooling, because to be honest I do not know enough about it to have a real opinion on it.

( i fogot to quote, but this was for simplysonita) thanks!

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    October 2, 2013 at 11:34 AM

hi nicole, this is an old post not sure that these moms are even still on here!! but we have other unschoolers on here you can ask!!

• aneela
    by aneela
    October 4, 2013 at 6:09 PM

very interesting point about the PS model...it really may not be the best model for some kids/families but it is traditional and those who are only of a PS mindset cannot see past what they know

Quoting SimplySonita:

Unschooling is very misunderstood. My children aren't just left to their own devices. big smile mini

The main thing for us is, I don't think forced learning (Especially for younger children) is the way to go.

Especially with younger children I think it's important to follow thier interests as they are so curious about things and have so many questions as they try to figure out the world.

We cover all subjects we are required to plus more. I don't buy the 'holes in their education' argument for any approach or option because not a person alive doesn't have holes in thier education. The point for us is not to teach them everything they need to know, that would be impossible. My goal is to instill a love of learning and teach them how to learn.

Then, when something comes up they don't know, when they are are 30 or 40 or 50 they have the drive and tools to learn whatever new technology or whatever they need to.

Also I've broken out of the mindset that education must look like the PS model. It doesn't and IMHO probably shouldn't for most people.

We may or may not always be unschoolers, but for now, it works perfectly for our family. I guide my kids but I don't say you have to do this today right now.

You can find out a lot more about how our family unschools on my blog wink mini

If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to answer them.

• aneela
    by aneela
    October 4, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Nicole that is probably not the best way to go...but then I do not have enough experience or first hand knowledge to judge this...but i myself might think...what is going on? but if the child who played for 4 months eventually came back and did some of what we would call "traditional" type of schooling of some sort (3Rs etc) then maybe it works for that family??

Quoting fallenangel_353:

If you're covering at the very minimal what has to be covered, that wouldnt be exactly unschooling would it? ( I'm not trying to be ignorant lol, I'm just asking) :)

The reason I am asking is, I only know one family that unschools. Every school morning, the mother asks them what it is they would like to learn for the day ( she has a 5,7 and 10 might be 11 yrs old by now). They decide what they are going too, if they want to play video games, she allows them to play. As a matter of fact, her 10 yr old played his xbox for 4 months straight before he decided to do schoolwork that didnt consist of Call Of Duty lol. She does not plan any lessons out, the children choose exactly what it is they do that day. She has no minimum of teaching core, critical things.

With that being the only experience I have with unschooling, I wasnt sure if that is exactly what it is. I do not have much of an opinion on unschooling, because to be honest I do not know enough about it to have a real opinion on it.

• aneela
    by aneela
    October 4, 2013 at 6:12 PM

as a PS....you might want to quote her as it appears she is no longer a member here (im just  a member here too) but if you quote her if she is on CM she will get an alert and might come back :)

Quoting fallenangel_353:

• fallenangel_353
    October 6, 2013 at 6:40 AM

Quoting oredeb:

hi nicole, this is an old post not sure that these moms are even still on here!! but we have other unschoolers on here you can ask!!

Hey, and thanks! I just realized I didnt even look at the date! (Sorry) :)

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts