Lornamay
What are the rules for parents when kids get hurt while playing a sport?
August 30, 2012 at 4:09 AM

My 11 year old started her first ice skating lesson today and fell in a manner which either sprained her wrist really bad or broke her growth plate.

My instinct upon seeing her down and needing help to get up and off the ice was to run down there and check on her. My husband sorta growled at me to sit down and I was confused and didn't listen to him. Tonight I asked him why and he said that you're not supposed to. I asked why, and he said he didn't know, but that he knew you weren't suposed to.

I know that parents aren't allowed on the ice, but it wasn't a case of getting on the ice. I understand that during team sports, parent's shouldn't get on the field.

Is my husband confused? What are the rules?

Replies

• PoehlerBear1983
    August 30, 2012 at 6:29 AM
    My son plays football. If he is down and hurt i will stay off the field. If the paramedics have to go over then i will go to him or if the coaches wave me over
  • Barabell
    August 30, 2012 at 9:28 AM

My son plays hockey, and typically the coaches will look at injuries first. If the child isn't feeling well, they will help the kid off the ice. When they are at the benches, parents might go down to check on their kids. It really depends on how bad the injury is.

To be honest, most parent don't stay for practice any more at about 11, 12, and so sometimes the parents that do stay will assist the coach if an injury appears to be more serious. At that point, the coaches are probably looking for assistance from other adults still at the ice arena. Injuries aren't that common. I think the most serious injury I've seen are muscle pulls/strains, and they were treated with a pain reliever to reduce swelling.

• Jessiejack
    August 30, 2012 at 9:32 AM
    My DD never goes down hurt and has left games at the end only to find out she had a broken bone. So last season when my DD got hit in the head and was not getting up I went on the field. I don't care about the rules, she is my child. Now she is in high school and they have a trainer on the sidelines so I feel a lot better and would stay put until after he saw her.
  • M4LG5
    by M4LG5
    August 30, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Let the coach take care of it first.  Depending on what has happened, the coach will call you over.

• my2kidsmom9498
    August 30, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Both my kids play tons of sports, tennis, lax, hockey, football, martial arts, etc...  Two years ago, ds went down with a concussion at hockey.  It took dh all his strength not to run out there, but one they safely removed him from the ice, dh was able to get to him.

• Jinx-Troublex3
    August 30, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Yup, for the mst part a parent should  let the coaches take care of it. They are familiar with the sports injuries and can determine what needs to be done. I wait and let the coaches look at my child until they wave me over and it is pure torture because of my training.

That said, I usually get called over because I'm a former EMT and have the big "trauma bag" first aid kit.

DD hurt her knee a few weeks ago, our first injury at gymnastics. They don't know my background but the coach gave me one of those "Eek, she's hurt" looks and I came down to look at it. Told her to ice it and see if she decides she can finish. She sat out for about 15 min then started strretching nad rejoined class. We still iced/heated it that night at home but it was fine the next day.

• LeahJ
    by LeahJ
    September 1, 2012 at 12:18 PM
    Me too. I don't touch the field unless the coach looks up for me and calls me over. Its never happened, thank goodness. But I tell ya, dh has had a VERY firm grip on my hand a few times. Luckily (?) in football, kids go down all the time so you sort of get up used to it.

Quoting PoehlerBear1983:

My son plays football. If he is down and hurt i will stay off the field. If the paramedics have to go over then i will go to him or if the coaches wave me over
  • mumsy2three
    September 1, 2012 at 5:39 PM

My son plays football. We have an EMT at every practice and game. If there is an injury, parents stay off the field unless/until they are called over by the EMT or a coach.

• Lornamay
    September 1, 2012 at 5:44 PM

That's what I was talking about, she was being helped off the ice and I was going down to meet her there.

• Lornamay
    September 1, 2012 at 5:46 PM

When the hurt kid is on the bench, is it acceptable for parents to go check on them?

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts