Craft Cafe

boshs1andonly
Decided to try crocheting again!
February 20, 2013 at 10:21 PM

I tried crocheting when I was pregnant with dd but it didn't really work out. I'm thinking of trying again, so hopefully soon I'll have some pics to show off :) If anyone has any suggestions on easy projects, or any other tips for getting started, that would be great too, thanks!

Replies

• mom2somegooberz
    February 20, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Good Luck! :))

• cowgirls10181
    Back and forth lines, and grany squares.
  • cowgirls10181
    Good luck you can do it!
  • jrobertson20
    February 20, 2013 at 11:22 PM

You tube tutorials.  I taught myself (when I was pregnant...lol) this past summer.  After watching youtube I understood everything so much better.  Crochet geek is a good one to look up.  After I got the basic stitches down I watched tutorials on how to do other things like hats and flowers.  Good luck!!!

• boshs1andonly
    February 20, 2013 at 11:24 PM
    Quoting jrobertson20:

You tube tutorials.  I taught myself (when I was pregnant...lol) this past summer.  After watching youtube I understood everything so much better.  Crochet geek is a good one to look up.  After I got the basic stitches down I watched tutorials on how to do other things like hats and flowers.  Good luck!!!

Thanks! Did you choose a specific type of yarn or needle when you first started?
  • jrobertson20
    February 21, 2013 at 6:31 AM

Just get cheap stuff for your first few projects.  I got Red Heart yarn.  And most patterns (at least I found anyway) use an H (5.0) or an I (5.5) hook.  I got a book to help me learn to crochet that came with hooks.  But I don't recommend it as the book was not helpful at all!!!

Quoting boshs1andonly:

Quoting jrobertson20:

Thanks! Did you choose a specific type of yarn or needle when you first started?

• SamKlug
    by SamKlug
    February 21, 2013 at 7:39 AM

The easiest thing I found was doing granny squares.  Before then all I could do was a simple back and forth chain.  I remember working on chains for years before I finally starting turning the piece and going the other way.  I had a friend show me how to make a granny square and and ever since, I've been making things left and right.  Still haven't mastered the amigurumis but I love trying!  Lol.

• SamKlug
    by SamKlug
    February 21, 2013 at 7:41 AM

I think I got that same exact book!  It was not helpful at all!  I went as far as getting ahold of the company and let them know how bad it was.  My grandmother has been crocheting for years and even she didn't like the book.  Lol!

Quoting jrobertson20:

Just get cheap stuff for your first few projects.  I got Red Heart yarn.  And most patterns (at least I found anyway) use an H (5.0) or an I (5.5) hook.  I got a book to help me learn to crochet that came with hooks.  But I don't recommend it as the book was not helpful at all!!!

Quoting boshs1andonly:

Quoting jrobertson20:

• KnittinMom
    February 21, 2013 at 9:18 AM
    Light colored yarn! Much easier to see where you are putting your hook.
  • jrobertson20
    February 21, 2013 at 12:18 PM

My mom crochets as well (she's right handed and I am left handed so I decided to teach myself) and she had zero idea what the patterns even meant!!!!!

Quoting SamKlug:

I think I got that same exact book!  It was not helpful at all!  I went as far as getting ahold of the company and let them know how bad it was.  My grandmother has been crocheting for years and even she didn't like the book.  Lol!

Quoting jrobertson20:

Quoting boshs1andonly:

Quoting jrobertson20:

Craft Cafe

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts