Craft Cafe

PvMomof3
knitting help
January 23, 2013 at 9:22 PM

I need help from you ladies who knit. I have a pattern for fingerless gloves that I want to do but I want to do it in sock weight yarn rather than the sport weight yarn it calls for. How do I adjust for the difference?

Replies

• sew4fun
    by sew4fun
    January 23, 2013 at 9:51 PM

I have no idea, I just learned to cast on LOL .

THIS is a site that I find easy to follow, maybe it will say something that will answer your question. I have not been able to go all the way though it yet.

http://tipnut.com/learn-how-to-knit/

• krystlbear_84
    January 23, 2013 at 9:53 PM

BUMP!

• RutterMama
    Tia
    January 23, 2013 at 11:08 PM

I wish I could help! I'm just learning to crochet again.

• Babymiamomma
    January 24, 2013 at 11:21 AM
    Oh goodness new to knitting myself , so I feel ya ! Idk the answer but try looking up online that's what I do for most my questions because I'm teaching myself! Right now I'm lil stumped .. Trying teach myself to use double point & circular needles for a specific project!! I watch alot if you tube videos etc and google nearly everything else!!
  • hazy999
    by hazy999
    January 24, 2013 at 12:29 PM

you basically have to estimate... there should be a gauge on the pattern telling you how many stitches should fit into a certain size. you just have to figure out how many stitches with the different yarn will fit in that gauge.

I also try things on myself as I go to make sure its fitting right. 

• suetoo
    by suetoo
    January 25, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Make two sample swatches. One of each yarn, then compare stitch size. It's not easy, but you can use a math ratio to inc or dec stitches as nec to get your correct size. Another possibility, is to make one size smaller or larger depending on the heaviness of the desired yarn. Or, use one size bigger or smaller needles.

• katy_kay08
    January 25, 2013 at 4:22 PM

you may be able to accomplish it by double stranding the sock yarn.  It will give you approx. a DK guaged project which is a bit bigger than sport.  

• beckolette
    January 28, 2013 at 1:55 AM

Actually the sport and sock weight yarns are so close to size it shouldn't make but a stitch or 2 at the most difference in gauge. 

What you do need to know is how tight or loose you knit with small needles and yarn. Still do the swatches making them at least 6 by 6. This size will allow you to get comfortable with the yarn and needles and gives you practice at the stiches you will be using. Measure them and then if you are within one or two stitches of what the pattern calls for don't adjust anything. When you are off in guage you would usually change needle size, not stitch count. 

Where you will need to adjust needles and stitches would be with fingers. Since you are not having fingers you don't have that worry. 

With sock yarn you will find that wool and washable wools stretch out as you work with it. Once you wash them they fit better. So if you are trying them on as you go, it's ok if it seems a bit loose. I usually fit and adjust gloves, socks, clothing as I go. I decrease a few at the wrist and then work in a few as the palm widens. After you make a pair or two you will get the feel of fitting them to the hands. And fingers are easy peasy, try them next. You will be so impressed with what you did. You'll feel like a genius. 

• PvMomof3
    January 29, 2013 at 10:53 PM

http://bohoknits.blogspot.com/2009/05/siren-sleeves.html

Is the pattern I am using. I think I might go with the swatch test as the math would just hurt my head lol. Being mostly bedridden right now Im going crazy and need something to do! Im self taught on everything I do right now and youtube is my friend! I really appreciate all the replies and the help. Thanks!

• beckolette
    January 29, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Cute pattern and yes it is simple. The thumb is the hardest part of making mittens, gloves and hand warmers. I like the long arm style. Don't over think the M1 left and right. use Utube videos. 

Craft Cafe

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts