Craft Cafe

sassykymom4
Sewing Confusion!
January 23, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Just recently I have decided to start sewing. As a hobby. I used to a long time ago with my mom. but now I am solo and need advice..What is a good starter sewing machine? 

Replies

• rhiannonaisling
    January 23, 2013 at 5:05 PM

I like singer and brother to start with...I also like Husqvarna machines.

• SLGross215
    January 23, 2013 at 5:11 PM

I'd start out with a very basic machine by either Singer or Brother. You can get one for around 80.00

• wyleigh
    by wyleigh
    January 23, 2013 at 5:12 PM

I started mid range. Singer and brother are both great. They have so many stitches it will keep you going for a long time. In my mind I would not spend more than what I think I can do. If you like it and get good you can always upgrade to a better machine.

• sassykymom4
    January 23, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Thanks Ladies...

• krystlbear_84
    January 23, 2013 at 7:54 PM

BUMP!

• AriannasMommy84
    January 23, 2013 at 8:01 PM

I have a Brother machine. It's lightweight & portable.

• Mrs.Greco
    January 23, 2013 at 8:09 PM
    Honestly, I like old machines better. I have two Kenmore sewing machines from the late 60s early 70s and they both sew like a dream. I didn't spend more than $40 on them combined. They need a little more maintenance than new machines, but they last forever and are much easier to fix if something goes wrong.
  • Mrs.Greco
    January 23, 2013 at 8:11 PM
    One thing thy I forgot to mention is that both my machines are attached to their own tables and are not very portable. Older machine are mostly composed of metal pieces so they can be pretty heavy. Good luck finding a machine!

Quoting Mrs.Greco:

Honestly, I like old machines better. I have two Kenmore sewing machines from the late 60s early 70s and they both sew like a dream. I didn't spend more than $40 on them combined. They need a little more maintenance than new machines, but they last forever and are much easier to fix if something goes wrong.

• RutterMama
    January 23, 2013 at 11:10 PM

Bump for ya!

• MissElissa21
    January 24, 2013 at 9:01 AM
    The singers and brothers are good to learn if you've never sewn before. If you already know what you are doing and want the machine to last a long time, get a better machine. I have a machine from the 60's/70's, and it works 50x better than the singer I just smashed into a million pieces! The older machines don't have as many stitches, but the stitches they do have work wonderfully every time.

Craft Cafe

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN