Craft Cafe

JasonsMom2007
here's a challenge
January 21, 2013 at 1:03 AM
my son has sensory processing disorder. we are working with an ot to help him learn to cope but there's a few places he just cannot handle still. for example this morning he wore his gun hearing protection in church during the worship music.
but people stare and he gets embarrassed. they ask him what he is listening to because they think they are headphones.
I need a way to disguise them!
any brilliant ideas? he's 5.5 and has a big head.

Replies

• TR3SSI3
    by TR3SSI3
    January 21, 2013 at 1:14 AM
    A hat, ear muffs?
  • Ryderswife
    January 21, 2013 at 2:22 AM
    Pm me some mesurments and your addie I will try to work up something what is his fav animal I may be able to work that in to it won't cost you a dime sept for mabe shipping if more than a couple bucks I am on a tight budget but I have got some shipping money saved for other stuff glade to help you out tho
  • warmcoffee
    January 21, 2013 at 7:39 AM

I think people should get a life. 

Do you think there is a way to make the congregation aware so that they will stop staring and making your son feel uncomfortable. Geesh, you would think that they would even go to the Pastor for understanding and clarification instead of staring at him. 

Maybe someone should 'preach and/or teach' about the many different types of 'sheep' that come into the fold, with pamphlets and booklets that help them understand (pointing out different disorders that people deal with that may or may not be as easily recognizable -  including persons in wheelchairs or using walkers, people with diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, depression, being bi-polar, being autistic, etc.) - this 'sermon' along with informational packets will help 'people' to understand that everyone is not like them and God is no respecter of persons but loves us all and if we love Him, we will show Him, and not staring, is a part of showing that love. 

• critter_boo
    January 21, 2013 at 9:28 AM
    I agree with this but I also understand his embarssement I hate that people stare at everything

Quoting warmcoffee:

Do you think there is a way to make the congregation aware so that they will stop staring and making your son feel uncomfortable. Geesh, you would think that they would even go to the Pastor for understanding and clarification instead of staring at him. 

Maybe someone should 'preach and/or teach' about the many different types of 'sheep' that come into the fold, with pamphlets and booklets that help them understand (pointing out different disorders that people deal with that may or may not be as easily recognizable -  including persons in wheelchairs or using walkers, people with diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, depression, being bi-polar, being autistic, etc.) - this 'sermon' along with informational packets will help 'people' to understand that everyone is not like them and God is no respecter of persons but loves us all and if we love Him, we will show Him, and not staring, is a part of showing that love. 

• JasonsMom2007
    January 21, 2013 at 11:11 AM
    thank you! that is so sweet

Quoting Ryderswife:

Pm me some mesurments and your addie I will try to work up something what is his fav animal I may be able to work that in to it won't cost you a dime sept for mabe shipping if more than a couple bucks I am on a tight budget but I have got some shipping money saved for other stuff glade to help you out tho

• JasonsMom2007
    January 21, 2013 at 11:13 AM
    we don't encounter it nearly as much at church as other places. at church it's mostly other young children. it's when we are in say a restaurant that plays music and is crowded or at a concert at school or something he gets questions and stares.

Quoting warmcoffee:

• JasonsMom2007
    January 21, 2013 at 11:53 AM

see the problem?  LOL

• cowgirls10181
    January 21, 2013 at 12:58 PM
    Hes cute!

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

see the problem?  LOL

• RutterMama
    Tia
    January 21, 2013 at 1:05 PM

I don't have any ideas, but I'm sure someoen does!

• JasonsMom2007
    January 21, 2013 at 1:08 PM
    thanks

Quoting cowgirls10181:

Hes cute!

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

see the problem?  LOL

Craft Cafe