Craft Cafe

sew4fun
I need some help/ideas please
by sew4fun
January 18, 2013 at 1:35 PM

We think my 6yo may have ADD or some other type of hyper active problem. She has a super hard time calming down especially at night . It is getting to the point that it upsets her. She describes it as " I feel like there is a party in my head and body that I can not get to stop. I feel hyper and scared " I am thinking she means anxious.

Anyway he loves crafts and I was trying to come up with something she can do at night to help her calm down, possibly something she can even do while laying down.

So far I have thought of plastic canvas or cross stitching. I am just not sure where to start for her. On cross stitch can she use a ball point needle ?

Any ideas are welcomed. Right now I give her camomile tea at night as well as let her take a warm bath with lavender , we are also changing her diet . I just think maybe a craft or activity along with these things will help her more. She can not yet read by her self but I do read to her at night.

Replies

• wildlilacs
    January 18, 2013 at 1:40 PM
    There are looms at kid section at Michaels and Hobby Lobby, to make crochet/knitted items. There are lots of ideas there.
    Maybe try yoga for kids at night.
  • MissElissa21
    January 18, 2013 at 1:50 PM

I think it's a great idea to give her something to do in bed. I would think something with a needle would be the easiest thing for her to take with her, I would just worry that she would fall asleep while working and get wrapped up in yarn/string, and sleep on the needle. I don't have any real suggestions, I hope someone can help you with ideas.

• warmcoffee
    January 18, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Does she like to color? Have you tried letting one of her fav dolls sleep with her? Is the camomile tea caffeine free? What is her fav craft thing to do?

Maybe this will help:

www.education.com/question/6-year-sleep/

• ZsMommy
    by ZsMommy
    January 18, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Latch hook maybe?

(((HUGS)) for your kiddo. I've had nights like that-but to feel like that on a regular basis..and only be 6-that's gotta be super tough. More (((HUGS)))

• The_Monster_Mom
    January 19, 2013 at 10:09 AM

What about coloring? That is a great way to focus her mind and when she starts to doze she can just set it aside. If she is old enough to read you could read to her for about half an hour while she lays down then give her the book - we do this with my son and by the time he gets the book he reads 1-2 pages then is fast asleep with the book tucked under his pillow.

• sew4fun
    by sew4fun
    January 20, 2013 at 11:13 AM

We have tried coloring and she did not really get into it. As far as the activity goes I was not planning on having her do it long, just as a tool to get her calm enough to lay down. That is our main problem .

Craft Cafe

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN