Craft Cafe

Featured Posts
JessiMamma
Craft Shows?
January 17, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Who goes to them or sells at them?

I got an invite to set up a booth at a local craft show. It's only $25 for the booth rental, so thats not bad. I've been wanting to get into selling things for a while now but I'm not real buisiness oriented & I never actually know where to start.

What Kind of things sell the best?

I've never even been to a craft show =[ so I really have no idea how it runs or what to expect lol

any info would be helpful! 

Replies

• MyIslandGirls
    January 17, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Well i would start with what you make.

If you make kid related items.. Girl things sell the easiest.. as you can never have to many cute girly bows!

Make sure you price your items at a good price that doesn't undervalue your hard work. that is the first mistake small home based business do. They price thier stock so low so that they will have plenty of customers, but in the end they don't make a real profit after expenses and such. so if you are thinking to sell your items at $3 each for example... bump it to $5  to help cover the cost of materials and time.

• sew4fun
    by sew4fun
    January 17, 2013 at 10:59 AM

That is a great booth price. I too would start making a list of what you make. I know I should remember some of what you make but my mind is blank as of right now. Girl things do sell , but when I did my few shows ( 4 of them) I noticed there were not enough boy things. I would make at least a few boy things. I also noticed that alot of people were looking for very inexpensive "toys" for kids . Some of the things I was asked for and noticed others selling were crowns or fiary halos for girls and swords for boys. You could easily make some stuffed swords for boys and fairy wands for girls.

I would start with making a list of things you can make, a list of supplies, and then a list of things that you could make alot of and sell at a good price.

• melliburger
    January 17, 2013 at 4:31 PM

That's a great booth price!
    I have done two, just got invited back to one (and I am going!). I would focus on what your main craft is or what you know how to do well. Make sure you have enough tables and displays for all your items and have plenty of stock!

• DaiTilley
    Dai
    January 17, 2013 at 5:01 PM
    I would try to find out more about the show itself; has it been around for awhile, or is this the first time it's being put on? Does it usually get a lot of traffic? How does their advertising campaign look? If they're not doing enough advertising, they'll be hard pressed to get people in.
    I'd plan on bringing a variety of items, and make sure you have variations (different colors, different sizes for clothes/hats/etc), and make sure you have a good range of pricing... A lot of people don't bring tons of cash with them to craft shows, so you want to have some inexpensive items, but also some larger items for people doig serious shopping (plus sometimes larger items are great for showcasing your skill! C: )
    Plan out your booth/setup well in advance, and do a mockup as early as a week before so you know how you're going to set up. I've noticed that booths that have varying heights are more eye-catching, whether it be with table-top racks, free-standing racks with hangers, or even a large pegboard setup. You can make your booth more aesthetically pleasing by having a crisp white or brightly colored floor-length tablecloth and/or a nice sign on the front, plus having the tablecloth meet the floor gives you hidden storage under the table for purses and equipment.
    Cody has a great post on her blog about craft shows, so I'd check that out, and then check with the people in charge of the craft show to see what is provided for you and what you'll need to bring yourself (tables, etc), as well as whether there will be an electrical outlet available for you.
    Good luck!!
  • RutterMama
    Tia
    January 17, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Yes...
    #1, what is your craft?
    #2, have you sold at all?
    #3, do you have a brand?

Yes, girl things do sell well, but you will find that markets are very saturated with girl things. If you can make things for boys, that would go over very well.

• JessiMamma
    January 17, 2013 at 10:20 PM

This is the first year, she said she was doing alot of advertising...the show is in March so its in the beginning stages.  The Booths are 12x12 or 6x18. They do not provide tables & I could get electricity for $10 more dollars....

Quoting DaiTilley:

I would try to find out more about the show itself; has it been around for awhile, or is this the first time it's being put on? Does it usually get a lot of traffic? How does their advertising campaign look? If they're not doing enough advertising, they'll be hard pressed to get people in.
    I'd plan on bringing a variety of items, and make sure you have variations (different colors, different sizes for clothes/hats/etc), and make sure you have a good range of pricing... A lot of people don't bring tons of cash with them to craft shows, so you want to have some inexpensive items, but also some larger items for people doig serious shopping (plus sometimes larger items are great for showcasing your skill! C: )
    Plan out your booth/setup well in advance, and do a mockup as early as a week before so you know how you're going to set up. I've noticed that booths that have varying heights are more eye-catching, whether it be with table-top racks, free-standing racks with hangers, or even a large pegboard setup. You can make your booth more aesthetically pleasing by having a crisp white or brightly colored floor-length tablecloth and/or a nice sign on the front, plus having the tablecloth meet the floor gives you hidden storage under the table for purses and equipment.
    Cody has a great post on her blog about craft shows, so I'd check that out, and then check with the people in charge of the craft show to see what is provided for you and what you'll need to bring yourself (tables, etc), as well as whether there will be an electrical outlet available for you.
    Good luck!!

• JessiMamma
    January 17, 2013 at 10:40 PM

I mainly make home decor type items, for kids & adults. Like pictures, paintings, wall hangings, applique pillows, but I can also make applique onesies & kids shirts, I can do sewing projects like sock monkeys, soft baby blocks, tag blankies, rag quilts,etc. I am newly making vinyl wall & car decals with my cricut machine.  

I am not at all a business oriented type of person, so I've never sold anything. I've had people give me material money or just buy the matierials & I make things for them for free but thats as close as I've ever gotten to selling.

No Brand.

I have 2 little boys, no girls so I'm mainly used to making things for boys lol but I love to make girly things too, I just dont get a chance to often!

I wonder....
    would it be a good idea to establish a "Boys Only" Brand? I mean, I've noticed over the years that its hard to find cute things for little boys. not just decor & crafty things either....EVERYTHING! when you go to walmart there are always 4-5 racks of girls clothes & 1 rack of boys, I'm always so dissapointed.  Maybe I could make a name of being someone who focuses on making things for boys?

but then, what about my more adult things? would I have a seperate name/brand for that?  I like to cutesy kids things, but I also really enjoy doing more elegant & sophisticated things as well.... 

Even if I decide against doing the craft show, I'm wanting to get into selling things, very soon. but I tell ya, I'm gonna have to learn ALOT, I have no idea how much profit I should make or anything.  

Quoting RutterMama:

Yes...
    #1, what is your craft?
    #3, do you have a brand?

Yes, girl things do sell well, but you will find that markets are very saturated with girl things. If you can make things for boys, that would go over very well.

• RutterMama
    Tia
    January 18, 2013 at 9:34 AM

This is an awesome assortment! I would try to mass produce some of it, and have a few on hand of everything else to show what you can do.

I would figure out what your cost is per item, and figure out what hourly rate you want to make and go from there.

Brand - VERY important!! Check out my website - www.HartOfKaren.com - and see if you like it. Everything from my logo to the website design to my custom storenvy shop - business cards, my banner, t-shirts - EVERYTHING - was created by Megean (mommytohuddy) here. I highly HIGHLY suggest you start branding.

A boy themed craft would be awesome! There just aren't many out there and I think it would go over well!

I would make a section of your shop that's geared towards boys, it'll be an awesome draw for craft shows!
    Then the other side for your more sophisticated things. I don't think you necessarily need a second brand.

Quoting JessiMamma:

I mainly make home decor type items, for kids & adults. Like pictures, paintings, wall hangings, applique pillows, but I can also make applique onesies & kids shirts, I can do sewing projects like sock monkeys, soft baby blocks, tag blankies, rag quilts,etc. I am newly making vinyl wall & car decals with my cricut machine.  

I am not at all a business oriented type of person, so I've never sold anything. I've had people give me material money or just buy the matierials & I make things for them for free but thats as close as I've ever gotten to selling.

No Brand.

I have 2 little boys, no girls so I'm mainly used to making things for boys lol but I love to make girly things too, I just dont get a chance to often!

I wonder....
    would it be a good idea to establish a "Boys Only" Brand? I mean, I've noticed over the years that its hard to find cute things for little boys. not just decor & crafty things either....EVERYTHING! when you go to walmart there are always 4-5 racks of girls clothes & 1 rack of boys, I'm always so dissapointed.  Maybe I could make a name of being someone who focuses on making things for boys?

but then, what about my more adult things? would I have a seperate name/brand for that?  I like to cutesy kids things, but I also really enjoy doing more elegant & sophisticated things as well.... 

Even if I decide against doing the craft show, I'm wanting to get into selling things, very soon. but I tell ya, I'm gonna have to learn ALOT, I have no idea how much profit I should make or anything.  

Quoting RutterMama:

Yes...
    #1, what is your craft?
    #3, do you have a brand?

• The_Monster_Mom
    January 18, 2013 at 11:18 AM

I have sold at sozens! :)

rather than what sells the best, take items you are steller at making, can produce enough inventory of, and there is a market for where you can easily talk up your products. :)

• The_Monster_Mom
    January 18, 2013 at 11:22 AM

One, here is 20 tips for craft shows. http://www.daftcrafts.net/2012/10/20-tips-for-craft-shows-and-expos.html#more

Two, I make stuff for boys. :) I make monsters. And actually, I sell more pink, girly ones than boys ones. ;)It's better to have products that are appropriate for BOTH genders. Sock monkeys are timeless, easy to make, affordable, and fun - If you can make enough of those before the show I would do a ton of those! :)

The thing with branding is you need to centralize it - whatever you are the absolute BEST at making, your brand should be built around it. I can felt, paint, throw clay, fuse glass, knit, crochet, quilt, make skirts, make purses, etc - but I only sell my monsters. I built my entire brand around it. It makes it easier, because then your other arts become your respite from your "work" rather than making all your art your work, you know? Plus if you build your brand around what you are the BEST at making, your products have more integrity than if you make 126172687129081290850984 types of products. :) You build a reputation for that one thing and build on it!

Quoting JessiMamma:

No Brand.

I wonder....

Quoting RutterMama:

Yes...
    #1, what is your craft?
    #3, do you have a brand?

Craft Cafe

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN