Craft Cafe

Featured Posts
Mipsy
Pediatric face masks?
by Mipsy
January 1, 2013 at 6:14 PM
I was wondering if anyone had or has better luck finding a pediatric medical face mask for sewing? We've been advised to be careful with germs with our son and RSV season just started here and we were going to just get disposable ones but I'd love to make him his own and wash them. TIA!

Replies

• -JC-
    by -JC-
    January 1, 2013 at 7:23 PM

I feel like it wouldn't be too hard. I'd but a disposable one (or better yet, ask your dr for one) to use for a pattern. And use thin cord elastic or hair ties cut for the ear pieces. 

• mikesmom65270
    January 1, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Are you planning to use woven fabric?  I would question whether one made of fabric would be able to filter out  a virus?  Viruses are tiny, small than bacteria.  Most masks are made of non-woven fabric, surgical masks are made of three layers, a layer of blown type material between layers of non-woven fabric.  I am not sure it would provide enough protection since what I read stated that cheap surgical masks are not effective.  Have you asked your doctor or his nurse about this?  Otherwise, using a disposable mask as a pattern would work.

• djscinnabun
    January 1, 2013 at 8:23 PM

I haven't seen a pattern for sewing them, but when I worked in the E.R. we actually purchased pediatric ones with Disney characters printed on them - it encouraged the little ones who needed to wear them to do so.

• -JC-
    by -JC-
    January 1, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Quoting mikesmom65270:

Are you planning to use woven fabric?  I would question whether one made of fabric would be able to filter out  a virus?  Viruses are tiny, small than bacteria.  Most masks are made of non-woven fabric, surgical masks are made of three layers, a layer of blown type material between layers of non-woven fabric.  I am not sure it would provide enough protection since what I read stated that cheap surgical masks are not effective.  Have you asked your doctor or his nurse about this?  Otherwise, using a disposable mask as a pattern would work.

Oh yeah.... I didn't think about that. 

• Mipsy
    by Mipsy
    January 1, 2013 at 10:21 PM

I haven't asked them yet but I may be seeing one of our drs this week and will ask then. Afriend of mine is a heart mommy (had a daughter with a severe heart issue requiring surgery at birth) and a lot of heart mommies wear homemade masks in the NICU and PICU with their children that she knows, so I figure if the drs and nurses there allow it, then this should do enough fro him during cold/flu season, you know?

Quoting mikesmom65270:

• rhiannonaisling
    January 1, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Mikesmom65270 has a point about the viruses, maybe a cloth cover or set of cloth covers for them would be a better idea?

Craft Cafe

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts